Salt, Food Preservation and more Purified Water

migulao

I Think it would be a great idea to use the crafting skill to make some contraption made of planks, where you can hang raw meat, and cover it with salt so that it won't spoil, it will act as a container and would need a carpentry skill of about 2 points, and a cooking skill of 1 point (So that the player would logically know a way to not let the meat spoil), and to collect salt, you could get it from convenience store, or if you have 1 point in the fishing skill, you could get it from the salt water in the coast, where you could ''fry'' the water on a fire place with a bowl, to get both purified water and salt in 2 inventory spaces, so you would have another source of renewable water. Thanks for reading, and post more suggestions in the comments below   

:-D

That food preservation has been mentioned GAZILLIONS of times, so I'm pretty sure devs will eventually get to work on that. The frying saltwater on the other hand is a great idea! This would be the second (or third if you count rainwater collecters) renewable source of water!

That food preservation has been mentioned GAZILLIONS of times, so I'm pretty sure devs will eventually get to work on that. The frying saltwater on the other hand is a great idea! This would be the second (or third if you count rainwater collecters) renewable source of water!

Thanks  :-D

Salting meat is going to be difficult because of the large quantities of salt required, but smoking meat is certainly possible. You would have to build a smokehouse though. I suggest:

Planks (20) + Nails (50) + Door hinge (1) + Door handle (1) + Campfire Materials (1) = Smokehouse

Salting meat is going to be difficult because of the large quantities of salt required, but smoking meat is certainly possible. You would have to build a smokehouse though. I suggest:

Planks (20) + Nails (50) + Door hinge (1) + Door handle (1) + Campfire Materials (1) = Smokehouse

I dont think you should be able to build ENTIRE building in the crafting menu, just make some walls around some place (dont forget the floor, and build stairs to make the roof) and just build whatever the hell is needed to smoke meat from the crafting menu

Salt is widely available though, just make packs of it lootable, the shakers, the big ones you use for BBQ and also salt-lick you get for animals in 20-30kg bricks (in barns).

But it would still be limited, and that aint fun :(

it's funny, building a smoker really would not be that hard. you just need  enough planks, a couple steel tube/pipes at least 8 inches in diameter, 4-8 cinder blocks to raise it up and some shingles for the roof.

build your basic box, cut a hole in or near the floor for the smoke to come into the smoker from the nearby fire routed by one of the tubes, and have a tube that exits the roof with an adjustable "shutter" type mechanism that would let you choose how much smoke you wanted to let out. of course, a lot of fine tuning would need to be done, but the reality is that a smoker could be built using basic materials scavenged from any house.

shingles are everywhere. the tubes could come from the home ventilation system, planks and logs come from trees, and bricks/ cinder blocks are fairly common here in Utah, every home seems to have at least 5 that get used for various things.

it's funny, building a smoker really would not be that hard. you just need  enough planks, a couple steel tube/pipes at least 8 inches in diameter, 4-8 cinder blocks to raise it up and some shingles for the roof.

build your basic box, cut a hole in or near the floor for the smoke to come into the smoker from the nearby fire routed by one of the tubes, and have a tube that exits the roof with an adjustable "shutter" type mechanism that would let you choose how much smoke you wanted to let out. of course, a lot of fine tuning would need to be done, but the reality is that a smoker could be built using basic materials scavenged from any house.

shingles are everywhere. the tubes could come from the home ventilation system, planks and logs come from trees, and bricks/ cinder blocks are fairly common here in Utah, every home seems to have at least 5 that get used for various things.

Your title and your wall of text do not match

um......what?

you mean the Temporally Confused title? that's something given by the staff here, we don't have a choice what it says.

and like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

um......what?

you mean the Temporally Confused title? that's something given by the staff here, we don't have a choice what it says.

lol, anyway, I think it would be a bit to easy to just scavenge a few houses and BAM, smokehouse! I think the materials it should only be available in warehouses, or atleast the ''proper'' ones, and if you scavenged materials from houses, the stuff you made would break over time and with using it, and it wouldnt properly smoke the meat, so it would still spoil, but slower.

um......what?

lol, anyway, I think it would be a bit to easy to just scavenge a few houses and BAM, smokehouse! I think the materials it should only be available in warehouses, or atleast the ''proper'' ones, and if you scavenged materials from houses, the stuff you made would break over time and with using it, and it wouldnt properly smoke the meat, so it would still spoil, but slower.

absolutely, smoking is only good for X amount of time. i really simplified the basic building recipe for a DIY smoker.

but the point was that it could be done, with some trial and error, and a bit of fine tuning.

but for the game, a simplified recipe would be easy for the Devs to add, if they wanted too.

I think this is a pretty well though of recipe for such a building.

You can make a smoker out of a metal garbage can, a rack, and a fire with wood chips.  Just saying ;)

um......what?

absolutely, smoking is only good for X amount of time. i really simplified the basic building recipe for a DIY smoker.

but the point was that it could be done, with some trial and error, and a bit of fine tuning.

but for the game, a simplified recipe would be easy for the Devs to add, if they wanted too.

well, that's what we are here for, to suggest ideas so that the devs will add them to the vanilla game, honestly, I think both smoking  meat and frying saltwater should be implemented, as we wouldnt only have an unlimited supply of water (if we had the fishing skill, check first comment), as we would also have an ALMOST unlimited supply of meat, because hunting is almost implemented into the game and smoking / ''salting'' it would, well, preserve it. just live out in the woods, or by the beach, both work, because theres a well and a cabin, and also saltwater, that can be fried, yay

You can make a smoker out of a metal garbage can, a rack, and a fire with wood chips.  Just saying ;)

No thank you, I use the garbage bags to collect rainwater (I live in the city, dont want to leave untill I scavenged every last bit)

• 2 weeks later...

You can make a smoker out of a metal garbage can, a rack, and a fire with wood chips. Just saying ;)

No thank you, I use the garbage bags to collect rainwater (I live in the city, dont want to leave untill I scavenged every last bit)
He meant using the metal can itself in the design of the smoker, not the plastic bags. That could poison the meat being smoked if you used those. Or at least make the meat taste freaking awful.

You can make a smoker out of a metal garbage can, a rack, and a fire with wood chips. Just saying ;)
He meant using the metal can itself in the design of the smoker, not the plastic bags. That could poison the meat being smoked if you used those. Or at least make the meat taste freaking awful.

Hey! another way to get the queasy moodle, after a scartch, it could be a coincidence, and you would restart the game and rage quit, but you were just sick from the meat...