Gas Stations and Limited Gas.

Narnobie111

I had this Idea since corpse burning and cars are coming up. There are some gas stations around Muldraugh, West point and some other maps I've seen. So I had this idea your player could go to the gas station with a gas can and use the pumps to get some gasoline to burn corpses or fuel your car. I am not sure if pumps need power to run (I've never driven or used a pump). Anyway it's just an idea I had whether or not it is good is up to you guys.

*EDIT* Of course eventually the pumps would run out of fuel.

They do need electricity to run the pumps and would run out very quickly. I think it would be pretty cool to have to siphon gas from the pumps for a very short while, something like you can use a pump a few times then it no longer works. Also another way to get gas would be from wrecked cars on the roads, so pumps would really only be a use in the first week or so. 

I am sure such a system of limited gasoline would be implemented along with vehicles. it would create a great challenge for the player. Find a siphon, find jerrycans, get to a gas station or wrecked car, siphon out some gas, and carry it back to your vehicle to refuel. Along with worrying about moving on from place to find more food and supplies, the player would also have to worry about locating new sources of fuel.

It stinks that Gas pumps are powered by electricity. Yeah Siphoning from wrecked vehicles would seem like the best idea. Also Gambler I plan to start out in my original town and if cars can hold loot like in the trunk or something I'd drive to the next towns if supplies are scarce in my town and return with supplies. Thanks guys!

I can't link to the thread but this has been touched on before. I bloke who worked delivering the fuel by lorry to the petrol stations said that you'd be able to extract the petrol from the station unless there was electricity to the building.

He also mentioned that due to security (to stop others stealing the fuel) rewiring the station to another electrical source would be extremely difficult. As in, practically impossible.

If you're mind is spinning thinking of ways to get petrol then fear not. Once cars are introduced you're going to have an almost limitless supply. There are many, many cars in Kentucky. There are all throughout the US due to your low tax on petrol. Siphoning from a car is not a problem at all.

This is all as I remember it. I might have forgotten some of this or gotten it the wrong way round but the impression I got was, gas stations = not happening. Car siphoning = no problems.

so whats to keep you from rigging some type of pump that will be powered by the upcoming generators? those are confirmed in the suggestions list.

The limited amount of gasoline at the pump station.

geez..........................

so use the generator to get as much of the stupid gas out while you can.

never said it was a full time work around. but using a generator to get as much gas as you can carry before someone else gets it would be a fairly smart thing  to do, MOST people would think.

and strider, certain things can be modified in order to make the gameplay work, such as finding a way to get the gas out of the tanks. sometimes actual reality is sacrificed  on purpose for the game.

and strider, certain things can be modified in order to make the gameplay work, such as finding a way to get the gas out of the tanks. sometimes actual reality is sacrificed  on purpose for the game.

That's not up to me. I'm just pointing out what was said in another thread. Whether the devs decide to make use of the petrol stations, well, I'll just have to wait and see.

Should be wary though. People can often clamour for something just because they want it. Care needs to be taken to make sure something isn't included which might unbalance the game. Like, say, a flipping crap load of petrol which might power a small house for years. Just as an example.

I think cars would be much better as you'd need to go out and get the petrol. That way you'd have a risk/reward mechanic.

Hey guys sorry I'm not getting alerts on my own topic apparently. I like the idea of car siphoning the best. Sfy that is a good idea to use a generator but you'd have to use a bit of the fuel you have on the generator.

yep, which is a consideration that would be good for strategy planning in the game

risk/reward stuff

I am not 100% sure about this, so please correct me if I am wrong but; Sometime ago I say a documentary about some sort of end of the world screnario and they said in that documentary that petrol goes off after something like 2 years. In other words even if you can find petrol after 2 years, it would have become useless.

Maybe once petrol is introduced to the game, the devs could give it a limited lifespan, similar to food.

I am not 100% sure about this, so please correct me if I am wrong but; Sometime ago I say a documentary about some sort of end of the world screnario and they said in that documentary that petrol goes off after something like 2 years. In other words even if you can find petrol after 2 years, it would have become useless.

Maybe once petrol is introduced to the game, the devs could give it a limited lifespan, similar to food.

It's an excellent point and one I couldn't find a clear answer to. I did find this though, hardly conclusive evidence though.

http://sciencefocus.com/qa/do-petroleum-products-petrol-and-diesel-have-shelf-life

While searching for that I remember just how long 2 years is in PZ. I've gotten bored and committed suicide in the game long before I ran out of, well, anything. As mentioned in another thread, when things like the AI director and NPC's are integrated I don't think surviving a cold winter or powering your house is going to be what kills you.

That all said, what you suggest wouldn't be that difficult I'd think. It's a global variable for one or possibly two items that should be all but identical. Petrol and diesel. 

Edited by Strider

Fluffy good point and I believe the show is Life after People.

Not sure, it might have been that show, honestly can't remember.

I did a little more research into this, but can't seem to find a definitive answer. It seems most modern fuels have an official shelf life of 3-6 months. But it also depends entirely on how it is stored, so it can much longer.

One thing is for sure, the petrol in parked cars is most likely gonna go of first.

In any case this could lead to some interesting consequence in gameplay.