Ground targeting needs work.

PoshRocketeer

My biggest gripe with the game is the way fighting zombies who are on the ground goes. It's WAY too common for hits to just kinda... not, when fighting zombies who are climbing through windows, knocked down, or crawling/lunging It's only gotten me killed a handful of times in arguably avoidable situations,  but when you take a risk to finish a downed zombie and they just don't take any damage from hits that very clearly should have hit them, it's frustrating even if you come out of it fine. It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Should you avoid fence-fighting or taking risky swings at downed zombies? Absolutely. (it happens on non-risky swings too, btw.)

Should you be punished by a random critical miss for doing it? Certainly not. 

Edited by PoshRocketeer

10 hours ago, Pandorea said:

Yeah, this is a bit of a problem atm. We're aware and work to improve targeting is already planned. Out of interest, have you tried stomping on them first? 

The same thing happens with stomping them. I have zombie highlighting on for melee weapons, and it isn't at all uncommon for a zombie that crawled through a window to highlight, but when I hit or stomp it, I miss it. It can even stay highlighted for multiple attempts and I can keep missing with hitting or stomping while it's getting up.

The system currently is pretty reasonable but it does need 1 big change

Crawling zombies should not be able to move around if another zombie is ontop of them. This is probably the main cause of player deaths.

Since essentially the ground zombie is "invulnerable" as the game prioritizes attacking standing zombies first - which is fine since they have the most mobility.

By preventing crawlers from moving if they are stood on by anyone ( not just player ) it does balance the gameplay.

• 3 months later...
On 8/4/2023 at 5:55 PM, Maverick99 said:

I'm pretty sure there is a setting to chose when you want to force a ground attack. So if a zombie lunges you hold the hotkey and your next swing will target the ground no matter what. 

Yes, but this is not the issue I'm having. I'm having an issue with the hit registration of those ground attacks.