any questions about ireland

123Imirish

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Irish eh....what do you know about Newfoundland?

It's Canadian. It's cold in Winter. Originaly called Terra Nova. European immigrants, mostly English, Scots, Irish and French settled there

Why isn't DJ Fresh African?

because of an Earthquake that was caused by Gold dust 

It's Canadian. It's cold in Winter. Originaly called Terra Nova. European immigrants, mostly English, Scots, Irish and French settled there.

Well then, you got it pretty much. And our accents are slightly retarded as well. Lol. When we get drunk we sound like the Irish! And the rest of Canada cannot understand us because we talk too fast...

Now I want to go to Ireland to compare my accent to the real thing. Haha

It's Canadian. It's cold in Winter. Originaly called Terra Nova. European immigrants, mostly English, Scots, Irish and French settled there.

Well then, you got it pretty much. And our accents are slightly retarded as well. Lol. When we get drunk we sound like the Irish! And the rest of Canada cannot understand us because we talk too fast...

Now I want to go to Ireland to compare my accent to the real thing. Haha

You're welcome anytime

Does Ireland celebrate St. Patrick's day? And what is St. Patrick's day anyway?

Of course we do! It's where St. Patrick originates from (Not born).

Basically St. Patrick drove the snakes out of Ireland. Now most would say there never were snakes in Ireland, but the term 'snakes' can be understood as 'demons' or 'evil' in this case. There is a lot of speculation to where he grew up, where he was sold as a slave to etc. But the morale of the story is the same. He is buried in Downpatrick here in the North and serves as an educational/religious

place. The day celebrates him and what he done for Ireland, throughout the world, USA etc would typically celebrate it as a time to celebrate Ireland and their Irish heritage.

Everywhere in Ireland would celebrate it, with street parades and festivals. It is safe to say lots of people here will be missing work this weekend/start of next week due to 'personal reasons'

St. Patrick's Grave

(Image not allowed 'in this community' for some reason. Google it)

Ah how very informative. Thank you for responding :)

What are the staple foods of Ireland? This includes farmed goods and produced goods.

Well since up here in the north is influenced by British (UK) and the south is it's own (EU) state I suppose it can differ.

There is A lot of farmers/farmland here so we would tend to have more local grown foods as opposed to produced products.

Stereo-typically potatoes is eaten a lot here. One thing I found during the G8 summit (last year here) was that 'The Belfast Boxty is a very typical Irish dish and is widely eaten'. Now, I had only ever heard of a 'Belfast Boxty' 2 weeks prior to that, because my friend in the US goes to an Irish bar that serves it, I have never once seen it on a menu here (in Belfast) nor have I heard of anyone who has had it.

I can't be 100% sure about the typical diet of the southerners but here we would generally consume the same as the rest of the UK, locally sourced meats and veg. Im not sure about other areas around the world but one thing I found interesting was that here they do a 'trace' thing, where you can buy a meat or veg product, and you can trace it directly back the farm it came, from when/where it was shipped.

There are a lot of local butchers and fruit/veg shops around that sell fresh produce which I hear is less common in other places.

Ah how very informative. Thank you for responding :)

What are the staple foods of Ireland? This includes farmed goods and produced goods.

Well since up here in the north is influenced by British (UK) and the south is it's own (EU) state I suppose it can differ.

There is A lot of farmers/farmland here so we would tend to have more local grown foods as opposed to produced products.

Stereo-typically potatoes is eaten a lot here. One thing I found during the G8 summit (last year here) was that 'The Belfast Boxty is a very typical Irish dish and is widely eaten'. Now, I had only ever heard of a 'Belfast Boxty' 2 weeks prior to that, because my friend in the US goes to an Irish bar that serves it, I have never once seen it on a menu here (in Belfast) nor have I heard of anyone who has had it.

I can't be 100% sure about the typical diet of the southerners but here we would generally consume the same as the rest of the UK, locally sourced meats and veg. Im not sure about other areas around the world but one thing I found interesting was that here they do a 'trace' thing, where you can buy a meat or veg product, and you can trace it directly back the farm it came, from when/where it was shipped.

There are a lot of local butchers and fruit/veg shops around that sell fresh produce which I hear is less common in other places.

as a person from the republic (Dublin to be specific) I can say we eat the same as anyone else.  lasagne, Fajitas (like tacos) Vegetables, Fast food (like McDonald's, Chinese food, Subway, KFC, Ect.) Beans, sausages, meat from the countryside and abroad, last year everyone in Europe had the surprise of horse meat being in most of the foreign meat. I didn't care, our ancestors ate horse, but apparently its no longer the cultural norm. Most people get food from supermarkets like Tesco (English owned and sell clothing and electronics), Lidl and Aldi (both Lidle and Aldi are German) and Dunnes Stores(Irish owned (which also sell clothing items) Other popular small food stores include Supervalu and Spar

Of course we do! It's where St. Patrick originates from (Not born).

Basically St. Patrick drove the snakes out of Ireland. Now most would say there never were snakes in Ireland, but the term 'snakes' can be understood as 'demons' or 'evil' in this case. There is a lot of speculation to where he grew up, where he was sold as a slave to etc. But the morale of the story is the same. He is buried in Downpatrick here in the North and serves as an educational/religious

place. The day celebrates him and what he done for Ireland, throughout the world, USA etc would typically celebrate it as a time to celebrate Ireland and their Irish heritage.

Everywhere in Ireland would celebrate it, with street parades and festivals. It is safe to say lots of people here will be missing work this weekend/start of next week due to 'personal reasons'

St. Patrick's Grave

(Image not allowed 'in this community' for some reason. Google it)

St Patrick SUPPOSEDLY drove the snakes out of Ireland  but in reality there is no suggestion that snakes ever existed in Ireland. In fact, it is believed that the reference of "snakes" pertained to the pagan druids whose religion was supplanted by Catholicism 

also St Patrick grew up in Wales and was kidnapped by Irish Pirates (Sea raiders, not like the ones from the 1800s) and sold into Slavery. Most of our Culture was washed away when modern religion arrived (The fault of humans not the religion.) (no I'm not apart of any Celtic Religion, I'm an Atheist). Most people cant even speak Irish any more. (I don't know that much even, the education system's fault) 

Yeah its a shame about the Irish dialect. It's still prevalent down in the country in some remote parts but its pretty much non-existent in the likes of Dublin and that. I do know a bit of Irish myself but I have to honestly say its a horrible sounding language and while the Carlsberg advert few years back tried to make it sound 'sexy', it really isn't in reality.

Yeah its a shame about the Irish dialect. It's still prevalent down in the country in some remote parts but its pretty much non-existent in the likes of Dublin and that. I do know a bit of Irish myself but I have to honestly say its a horrible sounding language and while the Carlsberg advert few years back tried to make it sound 'sexy', it really isn't in reality.

You seem to be unable to find any beauty in this country or it's culture, judging by your last few posts, try being more positive, there 

What do think about the Unionists and Nationalists conflict? From the news recently is still seems a very sore point (e.g. protesting at parades, glorifying bombers etc.), but from the outside (and before my time) the whole thing seems very bizarre.

Also, how's the country doing at the moment? Been running into a lot of Irish nurses coming over lately, apparently work is light on the ground.

What do think about the Unionists and Nationalists conflict? From the news recently is still seems a very sore point (e.g. protesting at parades, glorifying bombers etc.), but from the outside (and before my time) the whole thing seems very bizarre.

Also, how's the country doing at the moment? Been running into a lot of Irish nurses coming over lately, apparently work is light on the ground.

Now-a-days the whole conflict is completely and utterly stupid. They are just starting trouble for the sake of it, and for pathetic reasons. There is bound to be a bit of trouble from tomorrow through to Tuesday (as per usual). I have lived on both sides, and it's generally the worst people on both sides. Saying that, the Unionists have been protesting about a lot of stupid s**t lately, a few weeks ago I walked past 100s of them protesting over a cartoon octopus (Or some crap or another)

With regards to nurses, there have been a lot of budget cuts recently (2 entire Accident & Emergency departments were shut down the past while). But I hear that is prominent throughout the UK, with recent increases in what nurses have to pay out to be a nurse.

You seem to be unable to find any beauty in this country or it's culture, judging by your last few posts, try being more positive, there 

And you seem to be far too naive and should be taking my comments with a grain of salt if you are indeed Irish rather than what you seem to view as a negative attack considering the context of this thread is more inline with a 'jest' than anything above being serious.

Perhaps you would prefer if I instead went down to the local tourist shop in Dublin and took a viewpoint that most of the tourist cards seem to have and show nothing but absolute high praise? Also don't see anything in my posts that could be viewed as negative unless your the sort that reads too much into things.

You should respect other opinions rather than try to attack those that don't conform to your point of view.

And you seem to be far too naive and should be taking my comments with a grain of salt if you are indeed Irish rather than what you seem to view as a negative attack considering the context of this thread is more inline with a 'jest' than anything above being serious.

Perhaps you would prefer if I instead went down to the local tourist shop in Dublin and took a viewpoint that most of the tourist cards seem to have and show nothing but absolute high praise? Also don't see anything in my posts that could be viewed as negative unless your the sort that reads too much into things.

You should respect other opinions rather than try to attack those that don't conform to your point of view.

I'm not talking about thinks like politics or anything, all politicians are a piece of shit. I'm talking about things like you not like Irish because it sounds bad. Seriously? Cop on. No language really sounds bad. also I'm naive? For liking the lights in the city at night? You say I'm only listening to my point of view? Before this I didn't say anything to anyone saying they were wrong, and hey I'm not suggesting it's good here but at the rate things are going we have to try and appreciate the cultural and natural history of the country, before we are all just another EU country.

As for the north, If the majority of the people wish to stay in the UK then the best we can do if offer them free visas. Which no one would accept because most probabley wouldn't want to leave their county of birth, as for the nurse thing, yeah, no jobs, plus who would want to live in such a politically corrupt country, I'm packing my bags first chance, I'm thinking Alaska, Ireland is to densly populated and under forested for me.   

As for the north, If the majority of the people wish to stay in the UK then the best we can do if offer them free visas. Which no one would accept because most probabley wouldn't want to leave their county of birth, as for the nurse thing, yeah, no jobs, plus who would want to live in such a politically corrupt country, I'm packing my bags first chance, I'm thinking Alaska, Ireland is to densly populated and under forested for me.   

:blink: ...

So, you take issue with me for saying that the Irish language sounds rough and that I apparently can't see any beauty in this country (despite saying Cork is a beautiful city and Wicklow) but your going to pack your bags the first chance you get! :lol: :lol:

You also say "Which no one would accept because most probabley wouldn't want to leave their county of birth" which doesn't make much sense to me.

Most of the stuff you've been saying to be fair is rather off the mark and I wouldn't regard it as a true representation of Ireland, but each to his own, I just can't take what your saying as serious anymore.

This is actually starting to turn into a jest now.

:blink: ...

So, you take issue with me for saying that the Irish language sounds rough and that I apparently can't see any beauty in this country (despite saying Cork is a beautiful city and Wicklow) but your going to pack your bags the first chance you get! :lol: :lol:

You also say "Which no one would accept because most probabley wouldn't want to leave their county of birth" which doesn't make much sense to me.

Most of the stuff you've been saying to be fair is rather off the mark and I wouldn't regard it as a true representation of Ireland, but each to his own, I just can't take what your saying as serious anymore.

This is actually starting to turn into a jest now.

Ok Jesus you win, but Dublin is a thousand times nicer than cork

• 2 weeks later...

The cork accent on women is amazing but the dublin accent on women is a bit much. Don't know how you managed to get through the huge recession back in 08 or 09 or whatever but I jumped off of that sinking ship and currently living in Canada. You get laid lots with an Irish accent abroad sahn

The cork accent on women is amazing but the dublin accent on women is a bit much. Don't know how you managed to get through the huge recession back in 08 or 09 or whatever but I jumped off of that sinking ship and currently living in Canada. You get laid lots with an Irish accent abroad sahn

I'm hopefully moving to Alaska

I'd like to take a visit to Ireland at some point -- mostly to be able to connect a little more with my heritage on my father's side (plus, I hear that Ireland is a really beautiful country).

Are there any places you'd recommend for someone that is looking into visiting for a couple weeks?

Also, what do you know about the blarney stone? I'm told that there are some traditions that surround it, though it'd be nice to go ahead and get a little more knowledgeable about the legends and whatnot behind it. :3