Tool Belt

Swagger

Crafting can be quite tedious at the time as you have to keep transferring the tool into your main inventory to use it, which can encumber you.  Maybe having an item that you find called tool belt where you can place one hammer, one saw, a few nails, (other tools) etc.  The tool belt is equip-able and acts like a bag does so you still get a weight penalty but you can automatically use the tool for crafting if its in there rather then having to manually move it to the inventory and then move it back once you have finished.

The same basic principle could be extended to the guns and ammo, i,e a holster with the weapon and some bullets (probably just the handgun though, I suspect the rifle would need some kind of strap to carry) or should I post that as a separate suggestion?

Toolbelts, weapon holsters, bumbags (fannypacks), pocketed vests - all great possible items to equip to make switching/using/enabling items that much easier!!

I like this more and more with each additional suggestion. AS LONG as they were not all just given to you at the start of your game (essentially just becoming items that override the default in-game mechanisms)

Yes I think the broad concept can be extended to lots of things that would clean up the inventory management and UI a bit.  I suppose the subtle difference is that the first two suggestions are items that you wear while the med kit is maybe a small refillable tin that can hold a couple of items, like X number of bandages, a few or each pills.  That way you keep your stash at the safe house and just leave with an emergence supply.  Since you can't really wear the med kit it would still need to live in a bag I guess?  That or be equip-able to some kind of survival vest.

Toolbelts, weapon holsters, bumbags (fannypacks), pocketed vests - all great possible items to equip to make switching/using/enabling items that much easier!!

I like this more and more with each additional suggestion. AS LONG as they were not all just given to you at the start of your game (essentially just becoming items that override the default in-game mechanisms)

Yes I was thinking there would be three ways to implement these.  

1. Items you have to find around the city.  
  2. Linked to the leveling system .  Make them default to the UI but you only get access as you level up a skill. (level 1 carpenter can only hold nails, level 2 can hold nails and hammer etc so each level adds a new slot)
  3. Combination of the two. (you still have to find them items but as you level up different skills the carry capacity increases or something)

These are just off the top of my head but I personally prefer option 1 and less fond of option 2 but 3 (not necessarily the way I have described it) could be made to work I suppose.  I agree its much more satisfying having to find the item and not have it given to you.

I think it might be a good idea to limit this to three possible bags that can be worn. A large backpack you wear on your back, a vest pouch for easy access items like ammo and bandages, and some kind of specialized harness for certain types of items you wear on your belt (tool kit for a carpenter, field kit of medical supplies for a doctor, gardening supplies and tools for a farmer etc.)

You can have up to two more bags, but they'd be grocery bags, duffle bags, suitcases, what have you. The only requirement is that you have to hold them in your hand, and that hand can't be used for anything until the bag is dropped.

I suggest this because it makes absolutely no sense at all for my character to be carrying around twelve grocery bags full of food, nails, and shotguns (which is something I do pretty frequently). There needs to be some manner of organization that makes logical sense, is what I'm saying.

Maybe like...

1 or 2 belt slots    (holster belt,   utility belt,  tool belt,   or a standard leather belt that you just carry around for later use)

1 backpack slot

1 specialty vest or harness slot

1 slung bag slot   (any bag with a strap,  possibly custom made by adding a belt to a bag)

+ maybe an extra slung bag slot if you have no backpack.

and the two open hand slots.  IRL I can carry multiple bags in each hand but it's not very comfortable depending on what's in them.

Yes I agree Kajin I don't really like the idea of carrying multiple plastic bags and school bags while still having both hands free to swing my bat.  I would say 1/2 bag(s) on your back (school bag, duffel bag, hiking bag, number depending on the type of bag etc), then the rest of the stuff you have to wear, like the holster to hold your gun and a limited amount of rounds/clips, the tool belt to hold 1 of each tool and a bag of nails, and then maybe a survival vest for essentials like a med box and flash light.  Then you have your main backpack for items you find and the rest just hold limited amounts of set items.  You can carry more bags but you have to do that in your hands and then have to drop them or move them to the main bag to equip a two handed weapon.  You also don't need to have any of these items but the trade off is that you have to grab the item from the bag before you use it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Makes sense. I'd probably loot or fabricate a protective leather coat / vest with tons of front pockets if I had to go out scavenging in the zombie apocalypse. And - given the number of zombies currently in the game - I'd also need a beer helmet style wearable drip-feeder for beta blockers :D

But seriously, it would be nice to have quickslots and/or programmable hotkeys to equip / use items (like we had in the old versions of the game, only better).