Alcohol & Nicotine dependence; Other drugs

Morbo513

Simple enough. If you consume a lot of cigarettes or alcohol over a period of time, you become addicted. If you go long enough without the respective item after becoming addicted, you will suffer consequences like increased irritability and such. If you use these items often in certain circumstances, you will begin to "need" to use them when those circumstances arise.

This bit's gonna be a bit off the wall;

Other less legal (But hey, what's law in a zombie apocalypse?) drugs could be added with their respective positive and negative effects.

Heroin (and Morphine):

Positive effects:

Pain relief (For extreme pain/agony)

Negative effects:

Incapacitation

Queasiness (Vomiting implemented?) on first few uses

NPC interaction effects:

Incapacitated (Higher chance to be robbed, outright killed etc.)

Risks:

High addiction rate

Zombie infection or other disease when administered with non-sterile needle

Required materials:

Syringe, Lighter, Spoon, Belt

Cocaine:

Positive effects:

Reduced mental fatigue

Reduced physical fatigue

Fearlessness

Negative effects:

Post-high; Pain (Headache)

Physical and mental fatigue

NPC interaction effects:

Increased aggression

Risks:

Mid-high addiction rate

Cannabis:

Positive effects:

Massive stress relief

Boredom reduction

Negative effects:

Massively increased susceptibility to panic

Slightly increased susceptibility to physical fatigue

Neutral effects:

Drowsiness

NPC Interaction effects:

More suggestible (Player would have a higher chance to be forced to concede to aggressive NPCs)

Risks: 

Low addiction rate

Queasiness

Required materials:

Cigarette, lighter

OR (If added)

Tobacco, Papers, lighter

Bong/pipe, lighter

OR

Cooked into edibles (Can you bake cakes and cookies in this game yet?)

Ecstasy: The PC feels a compulsion to hug and rave with any zombie/npc in sight.

PCP: Control of the PC is revoked from the player; Watch as your character goes on a rampage fighting dragons, minatours and life-size Spiffos hell-bent on world domination.

When NPC survivors are added, your use of drugs, if witnessed or obvious could have an effect on their loyalty to you. If a given NPC is a drug addict themself, they may pressure you to use them, threaten you for them etc.

There could also be pertinent traits that increase your resistance to addiction and such.

How long would modern drugs be around though? I don't know how much of US drug supply is home grown, or cooked from chemicals that will still be available when wheels of industry stop turning, but I'd wager not that much. Small scale weed, opium and tobacco growing and brewing alcohol would still be doable of course.

Controlled substances or no, I think they devs have stated that they want there to be consequences for extended drug use before all is said and done. Dependence, tolerance, and addiction may be things we will see in the future attached to items like alcohol, cigarettes, anti-depressants, sleeping pills, painkillers, and beta blockers.

I think this is vital, drugs are lootable and extremely useful for pain relief and anaesthetic. Growable marijuana would be a good source of renewable stress-reliever like cigarettes act in-game. Addiction would be a great dynamic to exploit for gameplay reasons. 

I remember long ago on the main page that it said something along the lines of "Fight off depression and desperation with drug use but beware the effects of withdrawal in the apocalypse" or something. Definitely piqued my interest back then. Still does. And it's not like this is a game for little kids anyway. It is full of walking corpses after all.

This wouldn't make much sense, atleast right now. When you are addicted to something, and can't have it, you get anxiety and bad moods, wich don't have any impact in the gameplay.

When NPCs are added, i frankly think your idea would be put right in the game. Maybe a new trait, called ''Self-Controlled'' wich moderately decreases the effects of not taking drugs, or a negative one that moderately increases them.

Maybe a new job, as a drug dealer? That would give birth to the Self Controlled trait..

This wouldn't make much sense, atleast right now. When you are addicted to something, and can't have it, you get anxiety and bad moods, wich don't have any impact in the gameplay.

When NPCs are added, i frankly think your idea would be put right in the game. Maybe a new trait, called ''Self-Controlled'' wich moderately decreases the effects of not taking drugs, or a negative one that moderately increases them.

Maybe a new job, as a drug dealer? That would give birth to the Self Controlled trait..

Self control doesn't fight addiction, not drug ones.

If your body has a dependancy on the drug, Well it depends on the drug, you don't just use self control.