DIY Suppressor? (Maglite Suppressor)

Strider

Here's something semi-related to what we've been talking about; Right now I have enough ammo to make any DayZ player jealous; 360 9mm rounds (2 loaded pistols, 1 unloaded) and 326 (1 loaded shotgun) shotgun shells. This is after looting what, 16 houses, the few odd zombie corpses and the gunstore of course (Before the gunstore it was ~50 shells, 120ish 9mm) . If I wanted I could probably walk straight to the centre of town dropping every zombie I see along the way - I've just "broke the game" as you'd put it. This was without the luck perk by the way. Seriously I'm a one man armoury, the ammo spawn rate really needs to be lowered until NPCs are added back in (I assume they'll be able to loot themselves).

The thread converter pieces require a tax stamp as well, or you get busted hardcore and get sent to jail for a felony. Just saying. Don't have time to respond to the rest, will get to it after work.

Well aware of this. I'm just using this as an example to demonstrate that certain things that aren't designed as suppressors, can be used as such with the right modifications. They may not be amazingly effective but it's undeniable that they reduce the report in some capacity.

actually, that would equal roughly 1150-1350 kills. assuming you get an average of 2-3 kills per shotgun shell and you one shot kill with the pistols. a lot more zombies around than that.

using a weapon mod, i unloaded 860 .22 rounds and 200 12 GA shotgun shells walking down mainstreet Muldraugh. still got chased back to a safe house. only way we can get enough ammo to wipe the zombie population is to use the Necro Forge mod and keep spawning new ammo boxes.

I think any self respecting gun store would have much more ammo than what is at that store, all in all after getting my aim to level 4 and dispatching maybe 1500-2000 zombies with firearms I still have 20 boxes each of pistol and shotgun ammo. The normal loot drops are fine/rare for ammo, but the gun store should have more.

Actually it could be added realistically as a CERTAIN drop in the game once lousiville is added... I mean a city the size of louisville would have a swat team and swat use all kinds of toys. Of course it could be argued that since you begin the game practically right in the thick of it, such awesome loot would more than likely be gone. If I was a swat team member when the apocalypse began I would be all over that place. Large caliber rifle, some kind of full-auto, scopes, all the ammo I could put in a bag, a pistol, a shotty, body armor, riot shield, flash bangs, smoke grenades, (swat wouldn't have frags hey?), night vision, thermal (for human threats). And I'd Probably steal a police dog while I was at it just for good measure. Oh and an ammo belt too, that would be convenient. Is louisville going to have special loot?

If military bases, or military checkpoints are added into the game, soldiers use them from time to time. If military intelligence was updated with the info of zombies, and their reactions to sound. The military would be outfitted with suppressors and subsonic ammo so not necessarily hard to acquire if a large military presence was found in Muldraugh. But if a military base is added, suppressors would be located in the base's armory. Also we must assume there are some gun owners in Muldraugh or West Point that have paid their tax stamp and do own a suppressor. We can't automatically assume the number is zero, especially in a state with very laid back gun control laws, and yes, suppressors are legal in the state of Kentucky, in such a rural area I don't think there would be a high demand, but I also don't think its completely void of suppressors.

I think any self respecting gun store would have much more ammo than what is at that store, all in all after getting my aim to level 4 and dispatching maybe 1500-2000 zombies with firearms I still have 20 boxes each of pistol and shotgun ammo. The normal loot drops are fine/rare for ammo, but the gun store should have more.

Considering that'd be the first place everyone went when the shit hit the fan...

I think you're vastly overstating the amount of heavy duty weaponry that's just floating around the world, even in a city like Louisville. Also keep in mind fully automatic rifles are illegal and not even carried by SWAT teams afaik, thermal isn't really used much by civilians, smoke grenades and flash bangs both have been removed from a lot of smaller police forces...

@morbo, most branches of the military don't even use suppressors; neither do criminals. Trying to produce a silencer illegally is FAR more trouble than it's worth for all but the most serious, hardened criminals. And you replied with another Youtube video. So.

If you're saying that a video is as believable as one of those schemes, then so are your facts about suppressors.

And shit like this is enough to make me well and truly done with this thread. I work at a gun shop; I grew up in a family with a secret service member and gun nuts all around. In the other thread, I linked directly to factual citations about both the effectiveness and the scarcity of suppressors. If you're seriously going to call into question my facts about suppressors, then I'm wasting my intellect anyways. The fact is, whether someone doctors a video or not, posting a video about suppressors to show how quiet they are is an inherently broken and borderline idiotic thing to do; it accomplishes nothing and shows nothing of value. Nothing.

Edit;

I was looking at suggestion threads and came across this by chance - not to be an arse but these are your own words

"We can't let the fear of having something done poorly keep us from attempting it"

Not to be an ass myself, but I never once said anything about it being done poorly. My complaint is that even done well it's unrealistic and wouldn't have a meaningful impact on the gameplay. You're missing the absolute fundamentals of what I'm trying to say.

If military bases, or military checkpoints are added into the game, soldiers use them from time to time. 

No, they really don't. Why? Because they're pretty much useless and the military knows that. There are no standard issue US military suppressors; only specialty units use them at all.

The military would be outfitted with suppressors and subsonic ammo so not necessarily hard to acquire if a large military presence was found in Muldraugh.

Never heard of any military unit using subsonic ammo. I grew up with a secret service member and an Air Force member in my immediate family.

But if a military base is added, suppressors would be located in the base's armory.

Nope. Would not be any at a normal military base.

Also we must assume there are some gun owners in Muldraugh or West Point that have paid their tax stamp and do own a suppressor. We can't automatically assume the number is zero, especially in a state with very laid back gun control laws, and yes, suppressors are legal in the state of Kentucky, in such a rural area I don't think there would be a high demand, but I also don't think its completely void of suppressors.

That would be a quite incorrect assumption. The amount of suppressors owned in KY according to a recent government report on the tax stamps, if I recall, was less than 10,000 in the entire state. Kentucky has 4,380,000 residents.

This is why I hate discussions like this. No offense DirectorPr, but when partaking in an objective discussion you should make sure what you're saying is actually true =\

@morbo, most branches of the military don't even use suppressors; neither do criminals. Trying to produce a silencer illegally is FAR more trouble than it's worth for all but the most serious, hardened criminals. And you replied with another Youtube video. So.

I know. Again, it's fiction and their presence could be explained away - As I said, Special Forces being one viable reason.

And shit like this is enough to make me well and truly done with this thread. I work at a gun shop; I grew up in a family with a secret service member and gun nuts all around. In the other thread, I linked directly to factual citations about both the effectiveness and the scarcity of suppressors. If you're seriously going to call into question my facts about suppressors, then I'm wasting my intellect anyways. The fact is, whether someone doctors a video or not, posting a video about suppressors to show how quiet they are is an inherently broken and borderline idiotic thing to do; it accomplishes nothing and shows nothing of value. Nothing.

What I'm saying is, if you don't think a video is believable then neither is anything you read on the internet (Your comparison of these videos to a Nigerian prince email). Statistics and words can be more easily doctored than videos - Which I didn't post to show how quiet they are, just to show that improvised/homemade suppressors DO exist and they do work to an extent. And when you're going through such a huge number of people, trying to find out how many of them own a given item, it's easy to make mistakes and miss things.

Not to be an ass myself, but I never once said anything about it being done poorly. My complaint is that even done well it's unrealistic and wouldn't have a meaningful impact on the gameplay. You're missing the absolute fundamentals of what I'm trying to say.

In respect to the gameplay impact, that's entirely your opinion, which you can't state as fact when there's been no proper implementation of this concept in the game. As for the supposed unrealism, there's this thing called artistic license (Does that sound too much like "Silence" for your liking? :P). And it's not unrealistic if the chances of finding them are extremely low.

I'm not missing the fundamentals of what you're trying to say, I just disagree with them. 

What about inherently quieter firearms? Air powered pellet guns? .22 pistols & rifles? Would they break the game?

That would be a quite incorrect assumption. The amount of suppressors owned in KY according to a recent government report on the tax stamps, if I recall, was less than 10,000 in the entire state. Kentucky has 4,380,000 residents.

This is why I hate discussions like this. No offense DirectorPr, but when partaking in an objective discussion you should make sure what you're saying is actually true =\

That's a 1 in 438 chance of any given person in Kentucky owning one. Is it really so unreasonable that one of those people could live in Knox County?

Rathlord is probably right... I looked into it and supressed weapons are rare even within the military. Soldiers aren't allowed to customize their weapons with anything that will reduce the longevity or effectiveness of their weapon. Underslung nade launchers and different optics are ok but barrel changes and other major stuff is a no-go. Hollywood has deceived us once again! I always assumed that SWAT teams had an abundance of suppressed weapons but it looks like both the military and swat only have them and dispatch them for certain situations and missions. A zombie mission would be a good call for one but meh whatever :P they're uncommon. A guy i know back in Ireland has a supressed semi-auto .22 rifle with a banana clip, and it took him years to get his highly illegal suppressor, took him a while to get his 20 round clip too ^_^ gun laws in almost all countries are very strict BUT where there's a will there's a way (mods a.k.a. the zomboid black market)

That's a 1 in 438 chance of any given person in Kentucky owning one. Is it really so unreasonable that one of those people could live in Knox County?

Yes, yes it is. Most of those will be in the hands of collectors, which means sitting in private collections, or in the hands of shopowners, sitting locked away in a safe that no one would ever be able to access, apocalypse or no.

Edit: Went back and looked at the government survey again because this is still going on. I was wrong, there's less than 3,000 suppressors in all of KY. So.

And again, I'll reiterate about crafting suppressors.

You have to have a fundamental understanding of how suppressors work to craft one. Slapping a tin can or oil filter onto a gun is a death sentence. It's not something you can just "kinda figure out." You either know, or you don't. I'd be willing to wager my left arm that the people arguing to fiercely about how suppressors should be added to the game have no idea how they actually work or what they do in terms of the flow of gases. You're about to go Google it so you can prove me wrong, and that's all well and good. But the fact of the matter is, your average Joe (which, according to the devs, is what PZ is all about) has no idea how to make a suppressor.

It's a bad idea. It's unrealistic, and it makes no sense. Claiming some kind of "artistic license" is a shitty cop-out for not having a good idea. I could use the same (bad) excuse to say that dinosaurs toting laser machine guns should be added. "Oh it's a video game LOL add it cuz I say so!" PZ is a game that has one unrealistic concept, and strives to be as close to realism as possible in every other aspect. That's a sentiment not from myself, but directly from the developers mouths. Intentionally adding something that by your own admission doesn't fit with reality is the exact opposite of PZ's goal. Thank you for arguing yourself out of this conversation.

An aside about being an ass and the internet

If you can't see the difference between citation filled scientific works and Youtube videos, get out. Seriously. I'll wait. Get. Out. Or maybe you're just being an intentionally obtuse ass, in which case...

Edit: I'll add one more thing before wrapping this up. Given the current state of the game and how loud suppressed weapons are, it doesn't matter anyways. Even with a suppressed weapon, it's still going to draw zombies from the entire range that the map is streamed. Beyond that, the map isn't streamed anyways- this is why I said earlier that it was black and white. Either it's broken and unrealistic, or it has no impact on gameplay.

Citation: How loud "silenced" and subsonic guns are from field trials with several weapons and several different ammunitions: http://www.silencerr..._ammunition.htm

I haven't used guns enough in this game to get a feel for exactly how far they attract zombies from.

With the gun currently in game (9mm pistol) with standard ammo, the difference could be being heard up to a few blocks away vs. being heard halfway across town.

Since someone asked, suppressors have no effect on bullet velocity/range. Accuracy is unneffected. They make a gun from heavy, which changed the way it handles for the worse.

The only suppressor I've had a chance to shoot was on a .22 pistol. Even with supersonic ammo, the shot was almost completely silent. You could hear the action cycling and the bullet impact.

From what I gather, most center fire guns are suppressed to the point where they are just barely hearing safe. Around 120 decibels if I recall.

I can't remember right now, but wasn't it possible to use pillows and the like as a suppresor for certain weapons?

As for balance, yeah, it might do more harm than good, as you may easily become an invincible badass (distance kill, no sound, no more zombies, no risk), but then again, that could be addressed later on, maybe by adding a luck factor; maybe the pillow gets stuck in the barrel somehow, or the weapon has a higher chance of breaking down or degrades faster.... 

A pillow silencer can kind of work, once. With most guns it's still going to be 150 db or more, which is more range than the map streams out to in PZ anyways.

Anyways, if people really want a ranged option that's quiet, bows and crossbows are going to be added and do the job (in a realistic way) with the drawback of being less accurate and slower firing. It's both balanced and realistic. Yay!