Improving alcohol

Waib

not sure if this is planned, but i just have a few suggestions to make alcohol more useful and realistic.

alcohol gives you courage so i think it should act somewhat like beta blockers only maybe less effective, keeps you from going above panic or strong panic. also should make you alot happier, drinking half a bottle of whiskey is as effective as eating a chocolate bar right now. and last it should give you a penalty to thirst instead of hydrating you

drinking half a bottle of whiskey is as effective as eating a chocolate bar right now

uhm, half a bottle of whiskey doesnt make me brave, it makes me stupid. a shot or two though might do it ;)

nah but seriously, I think that the usage and effects of alcohol will get overhauled and/or changed. IIRC alcohol doesnt do anything at the moment bud rehydrate you

well it also gives you -10 to unhappiness, which i thought was a bit low considering your character just downs half the bottle xD

unhappiness is alright IMO, but it should increase the more alcohol you drink. first half bottle -10, second half bottle -20, third half bottle (because lets face it, you're not doing anything today) -40. and then -80 because dude, you're drunk and what the bleep are you doing with your life?!

well it also gives you -10 to unhappiness, which i thought was a bit low considering your character just downs half the bottle xD

unhappiness is alright IMO, but it should increase the more alcohol you drink. first half bottle -10, second half bottle -20, third half bottle (because lets face it, you're not doing anything today) -40. and then -80 because dude, you're drunk and what the bleep are you doing with your life?!

Only make these bonuses stack over a short period (i.e: Four half bottles in a short space of time = -80 unhappiness. Long period of time = -30 unhappiness) and you've suddenly got an in-game incentive for your character to get absolutely smashed. A useful tool in a pinch if the character is severely depressed, but a great moment for the Sadistic AI Director(SOON) to send a horde your way.

I do remember someone talking about addiction being added to the game at some point, but can't point it out atm...

I'd suggest the following: First of all drink the bottle in quarters... Few guys can down half a bottle of whiskey in two takes. First quarter +10 happiness that will turn to -15 in a period of few hours. As it works with alcohol you get the starting high and good feeling "I love you guys" which turns into the low point "My mommy never loved me" And the more you drink the less you get the happiness and the more you're going to come down. So in theory you start drinking and get the +10 start and then either choose to not drink and suffer the small sadness or drink more for a +5 boost to happiness each sip. The more you drink the harder the downfall. Also if you drink more you'll suffer the hangover...

eg.

1 quarter: +10 happiness -15 backlash

2 quarters: 10+5= +15 happiness -30 backlash + headache

3 quarters 15+5= +20 happiness -50 backlash + headache + nausea

4 quarters +25 happiness -80 backlash (because the bottle is empty  :cry:) + can't get out of bed hangover and throwing up

So staying drunk has it's bonuses, but the more you drink the more you'll suffer. Also added to this are the effects of being drunk, eg. distorted perception etc. and long time depression from addiction like ApolloDiaspora suggested. Drinking more will get rid of these long time effects for a while.

-10 Unhappiness means it REDUCES unhappiness. The idea being the more alcohol you consume in a shorter period of time, the greater the depression-alleviating effect. Naturally, the drunkenness of the character, and the resulting hangover, would increase accordingly :P

Ahh, forgive me for that! I jumped the wagon there. 

Don't think people would be drinking alcohol during a zombie apocalypse in joy. If otherwise, if one drinks alcohol alone it is almost always because of some emotional pain.

Also, comparing half a bottle of whisky with a chocolate bar is like comparing... a flying saucer with a cow.

It's strange that it makes you happy to. Drink imbibed affects me different upon the context. I don't drink by myself because I can often become unhappy. I always drink in company. 

I suspect I'm not entirely alone in this. 

A little drink should give you courage and being 'drunk' works as an excellent pain killer. Anyone can attest to this who has woke up after a heavy season with bruises and scrapes. 

"How in hell did I get these?"

However that might just be me.

Lastly, spirits poured on a bandage should help disinfect it.

The bottle in question appears to be half a gallon (64 ounces total), so drinking a quarter of that would make most people as sick as a dog. So it kind of annoys me that a whole bottle of the stuff can be drunk with almost no adverse effects. I'd suggest that each time you drink from a bottle you're taking a single two ounce shot of the stuff so that each bottle has a total of 32 uses. Makes things more realistic I imagine.

The bottle in question appears to be half a gallon (64 ounces total), so drinking a quarter of that would make most people as sick as a dog. So it kind of annoys me that a whole bottle of the stuff can be drunk with almost no adverse effects. I'd suggest that each time you drink from a bottle you're taking a single two ounce shot of the stuff so that each bottle has a total of 32 uses. Makes things more realistic I imagine.

Hehehe. You've never met my Uncle.

This is what wiki has to say.

Causes[edit]

The processes which lead to hangovers are still poorly understood.[2] Several pathophysiological changes may give rise to the alcohol hangover including increased levels of acetaldehyde, hormonal alterations of the cytokine pathways and decrease of the availability of glucose. Additional associated phenomena are dehydrationmetabolic acidosis, disturbed prostaglandin synthesis, increased cardiac outputvasodilation, sleep deprivation and insufficient eating.[1] Some complex organic molecules found in alcoholic beverages known as congeners may play an important role in producing hangover effects because some, such as methanol, are metabolized to the notably toxic substances formaldehyde and formic acid.[1]

Hehehe. You've never met my Uncle.

Could probably take the heavy drinker trait, then. Drink more booze and gain more positive benefits before succumbing to negative effects. Light drinker trait causes you to suffer more heavily from negative effects so you don't gain as much positive from it.

This is what wiki has to say.

Causes[edit]

The processes which lead to hangovers are still poorly understood.[2] Several pathophysiological changes may give rise to the alcohol hangover including increased levels of acetaldehyde, hormonal alterations of the cytokine pathways and decrease of the availability of glucose. Additional associated phenomena are dehydrationmetabolic acidosis, disturbed prostaglandin synthesis, increased cardiac outputvasodilation, sleep deprivation and insufficient eating.[1] Some complex organic molecules found in alcoholic beverages known as congeners may play an important role in producing hangover effects because some, such as methanol, are metabolized to the notably toxic substances formaldehyde and formic acid.[1]

Idk maybe it prevents water from entering your system? lol

I don't know much, that's just what I've heard.