Quislings!

Cyberdemon123

For those of you who have read World war z will know what I am talking about, the others maybe not.
Quisilings are Survivors who have basically entered a state of shock, that has Mentally turned them into zombie, but not physically, other zombies will attack a Quisling since they can tell the difference, however despite this Quislings will ignore the zombies who are attacking them, also they are oblivious to pain just like Zombies, however unlike zombies they will heal over time.
Which will make them more of a threat during the later months when the Initial waves of zombies become slower, and also means they can become stronger over time, depending on what they are doing. 

It would be interesting to see Quislings in zomboid, since when the zombies start to slow down, the Quislings will still be moving at a fast pace.Also for the new player, it will provide a trick that zombies are actually in-fighting, when in-fact they could just be attacking a lone Quisling, however when bitten by a quisling, the player should go through illness just like when bit by a zombie, but after a while the fever won't kill them and the status will be lifted, Which will also be interesting to see how players will react when they are unsure if they were bit by a Quisling, or a Zombie, and if they will take the decision to kill themselves or wait it out.

Hi there Cyberdemon123,

Did you have a read through the Commonly Suggested Suggestions [Read Before Posting] thread before posting here?

You'll notice in the big No's (things opposed by the community, confirmed as never going to happen by the Devs, or impossible within the game engine), and even highlighted in red

[n]    "Special" Infected or any type of superhuman zombies

Special, modified, or quasi zombies are never going be added to the vanilla game.

Perhaps your suggestion would be better placed as a suggested Mod.

Have you thought about what your suggestion would actually add to the gameplay itself?

From what I can gather, you're suggesting the Quislings are immune to zombification - they can be attacked by zombies, but if the player is then bit/scratched by a quisling they do not progress to death...

it's not super human or special infected, it is literally a survivor who is NOT Immune, and can still be infected, as a quote from the Zombie Wikia  

In Max Brooks's novel World War Z, "quisling" refers to a human that had broken down psychologically due to the presence of zombies (often referred as Z-Shock) and thus begun acting like a zombie. These humans attack other humans mindlessly but are still attacked by normal zombies who can tell the difference. Despite numerous attempts by government-funded doctors, the psychological trauma of a quisling is too far gone for any chance of success of rehabilitation.
The phenomena is reportedly akin to Stockholm Syndrome. The living human subject becomes so fearful of zombies that they try to "appease" them, or "switch sides", in an effort to become the object of their fear. They begin to act like zombies, moving slowly, moaning, attacking and consuming live creatures, even becoming oblivious to the pain from various wounds they might sustain.

And of course there will be a chance of death, I mean after all the ammount of bacteria the human mouth contains is enough to cause a serious infection, just the player will not turn after, I think Quislings would add a bit of Human drama to the backstory of the game, also aswell as posing a threat like a zombie would, if a quisling was to wander out from a house,and the player is horded in, the Quisling joining the crowd would provide the player that little bit extra time to escape since the zombies would recognise him as prey and aim their efforts to attack him (if the player is hidden away, if so the Quisling will be taken priority to the zombie closest to him/her) also due to the fact a lot of them would appear to the player as a human, the Panic status won't show up straight away, as the survivor could assume it is another living breathing survivor, before the Quisling attacks.

All in all a Quisling is basically a shell shocked survivor. Not a special or superhuman zombie. 

All in all a Quisling is basically a shell shocked survivor. Not a special or superhuman zombie. 

Certainly, but in terms of gameplay within PZ, from a player's perspective, the quisling is essentially a zombie, right? (Isn't this the whole point of the suggestion)

The movement patterns of a zombie.

The eating/attacking habits of a zombie.

The pain reactions of a zombie.

But... not a zombie. (from a zombie's perspective the quisling is certainly not a zombie)

At least, if it hasn't been infected itself, then it won't 'zombify' the player.

Other zombies will still pursue/attack it.

I think you've got to understand that although everything doesn't have to be one or the other, true or false, black and white, you'd still need to determine (from a developers standpoint) if the quisling was going to be a zombie, or an NPC. (or, more likely, some sort of NPC Zombie)

Does the potential added gameplay value outweigh the difficulties in adding a new form of foe, who is neither zombie, nor NPC?

Would depend on the team of people working on it, and the stages of development.

If i was developing a game like Zomboid I would focus on the more main things first, and minor stuff such as the Quisling will be saved for a later date to add a bit extra to the game-play, it wouldn't be something I would rush to do straight off, since at this stage in development getting the key stuff down to a T will be more vital, and it would also depend how far into Realism the developers are going to go.

Quislings would be a minor detail aimed at getting the player to panic when they thought they found a survivor, and it turns out its not, the foes are identical, and also the adding certain things such as quislings stopping temporarily when a player has a light due to nervous system reactions, at this point in time it won't be worth it, but when adding polish to the final product, enemies like the Quisling could be used to convey the Human Tragedy side of the apocalypse, and could use the same Behavioural script as a Ghoul would with a few modifications.

Quislings were one of my favorite parts of WWZ, if there was about a 0.01% chance of seeing one in Louisville it would be an awesome easter egg.

Does the potential added gameplay value outweigh the difficulties in adding a new form of foe, who is neither zombie, nor NPC?

Just add it late alpha, it really wouldn't be a huge amount more code as it would just be tweaked zombie AI.

Quislings were one of my favorite parts of WWZ, if there was about a 0.01% chance of seeing one in Louisville it would be an awesome easter egg.

Just add it late alpha, it really wouldn't be a huge amount more code as it would just be tweaked zombie AI.

So, other zombies wouldn't attack it then?

Uhh, yes they would.

Uhh, yes they would.

But if it's tweaked Zombies, well, zombies don't attack other zombies. And if they're NPCs, then they don't use zombie AI at all...

The whole point I am trying to get across is: Would the quislings be considered NPCs, or Zombies?

From one perspective there's the quislings being treated as zombies, and from the other perspective they are NPCs. So which would it be?

Wow, what a terrible...terrible idea.

NPCs acting as zombies but not really zombies?! such a horrible thing to add in the game or any zombie game to be honest.

Gave you even read WWZ? It would be an extremely rare easter egg that only fans of the book would notice or someone unlucky enough to get bit by a quisling.

NPCs acting as zombies but not really zombies?! such a horrible thing to add in the game or any zombie game to be honest.

Gave you even read WWZ? It would be an extremely rare easter egg that only fans of the book would notice or someone unlucky enough to get bit by a quisling.

And for the people that no read wwz?

They would probably never see it and if they did they wouldn't recognize it.

<...>

They would probably never see it, and if they did they wouldn't recognize it.

This would be a pointless waste of time. Even if someone got bit by a quisling and didn't get infected, they'd never know it was a quisling. They'd probably just assume "Oh the 2% chance I wouldn't get infected by a bite happened cool." especially if it was made to be a rare occurrence, since being bit by zombies is a relatively rare event in itself.

That's if the zombies didn't murder them before you got close enough to even see what's going on. Or if you didn't bludgeon their head in instantly. 

I think the whole idea of quislings in WWZ is quite broken. There's no real reason that people would start imitating zombies. And they would never survive in a zombie apocalypse wandering around pretending to be a shambler. Frankly I think this is just one of those things that are added when someone has a bit of a dry run in their imagination and need some more content. Just like special zombies but just less intrusive.

I'm not getting into the not worth coding bit because that's highly a matter of personal opinion about the feature.

I think the whole idea of quislings in WWZ is quite broken. There's no real reason that people would start imitating zombies. And they would never survive in a zombie apocalypse wandering around pretending to be a shambler. Frankly I think this is just one of those things that are added when someone has a bit of a dry run in their imagination and need some more content. Just like special zombies but just less intrusive.

I'm not getting into the not worth coding bit because that's highly a matter of personal opinion about the feature.

Yeah, guess it wouldn't really work with PZ, I think in WWZ they only really existed in the safe zones where very little zombies were loose.

Yeah, guess it wouldn't really work with PZ, I think in WWZ they only really existed in the safe zones where very little zombies were loose.

I guess it comes down to more of a mental disorder, like the people who think they are Napoleon or something. However like most things that comes down to the humans of the game, the amount of survivors still around and those who would subcumb to that stress and still living is so minimal and a rare encounter there is little point to adding them.