Sleeping

Dreadhawk177

Sleeping  

25 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about sleep in the game?

• The player should need more.
    • The player should need less.
    • Its about right!
    • What is this "sleep" you speak of?
  2. 2. Should there be a difference when sleeping on a bed vs. a couch, chair, etc?

• Yes! There needs to be a large difference!
    • Yes, a mediocre difference.
    • There shouldn't be any difference.
  3. 3. What is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

• What do you mean? An African or European swallow?
    • I don't know that!

After playing for a while, I've noticed a couple things about sleeping that could be changed for the better.

1. The "you aren't tired enough to fall asleep" message isn't very realistic. It's very easy to sleep 12+ hours per day, especially when you are "utterly shit-faced" (drunk) or very sick/hurt.
  2. The player should be able to live without as much sleep. What this means is that my character shouldn't be in danger of passing out after 18 hours. I think this should be extended to about 48 hours, with any time over 16 or so having an effect on the length that you sleep for the next couple days. (i.e. I loot for 38 hrs, fall asleep for 12, and I get tired more easily the next day).
  3. I know this is being worked on, but sleeping in unsafe areas should be dangerous (possibly waking up in the middle of the night with a bad moodlet and a zombie or two chasing you).
  4. I'm not 100% sure whether this has been implemented or not, but many quick doses of sleeping pills should be lethal.

You don't mention the Sleeping overhaul mod in this post. Is that because you're unaware it?

To be fair, it's a mod and not a part of the game proper.

That's exactly what I was thinking. 

Anyway, I don't know about any of you, but sleeping in a chair or on an uncomfortable couch does leave me feeling a bit... bad after waking up. I'd image a person would be mad about sleeping in a chair, and with some sort of other moodlet; discomfort, maybe?

Bear in mind, that in Project Zomboid your character is constantly active, out looting, senses heightened by the apocalypse, fighting zombies, therefore not an average person, they require more sleep, being awake for 36 hours and sleeping for 12 would not be sufficient at all under those circumstances.

I think the sleep cycle is alright as is, I do however think you should be able to sleep anywhere (on the floor even), whenever, albeit waking up a lot sooner if you're not tired.

The comfort difference of sleeping in beds and chairs or maybe even on the floor could be diminished by drinking that one whiskey bottle left in the cabinet before going to bed.

whilst this might work or help you actually fall asleep on something uncomfortable like the floor or a simple chair, sleeping under the influence of alcohol should make you fall asleep more easy but the sleep shouldnt be as restorative as without alcohol... as sould be sleeping on the floor or a chair.

Need to be able to sleep on the floor. Just add random clothes/sheets to lay on and a pillow.

I think if that root was taken, it would have to have negative effects, like not being fully rested or more agitated because of a lack of a good nights sleep.

You should not have to sleep. A lot of people do not sleep in real life. So I cannot see why you would have to do it in a game.

Whaaaaat ? :D

We planned yesterday with Andy about rewriting how the sleeping works, I think I'll add somet hings of the Robomat sleeping mod, but yup, it's gonna change.. (example, you'll have a chance to wake up during the night because you're too stressed, angry or sick... Sleep while having pain can make you angry and drowsy when you wake up, sleeping quality..)

Need to be able to sleep on the floor. Just add random clothes/sheets to lay on and a pillow.

I think if that root was taken, it would have to have negative effects, like not being fully rested or more agitated because of a lack of a good nights sleep.

Yeah, I just wanted to point out that sleeping on the floor should be possible, but ofcourse with less healthy effects.

I think maybe we should have some kind of "Sleeping Kit". Like, a sleeping bag stuffed with sheets and blankets and some kind of waterproof pad to lie on top of. That way we can lie down anywhere with a relatively flat surface and have a mostly uniform sleep experience. Put it on a couch or the floor or even that row of logs you're using to keep off of the ground in the forest under a makeshift lean-to roof.

I think maybe we should have some kind of "Sleeping Kit". Like, a sleeping bag stuffed with sheets and blankets and some kind of waterproof pad to lie on top of. That way we can lie down anywhere with a relatively flat surface and have a mostly uniform sleep experience. Put it on a couch or the floor or even that row of logs you're using to keep off of the ground in the forest under a makeshift lean-to roof.

This! Camping stuff basicly. But without the tent.

This! Camping stuff basicly. But without the tent.

I imagine the tent code could be adapted into a sleeping kit item, no? Change some sprites around and what not and you got your sleeping kit. :)

We'd still be making use of the tent, it's just that with the sleeping kit we'd be vastly improving the quality of sleep in the tent.

I meant more, you could copy the code of the tent and alter it into a new object, while still keeping the original tent. :) I didn't mean we should remove the tent or anything, because it's a helpful thing to have.