Project Zomboid Wiki Contribution Discussion

Connall

Now as many people may of noticed the wiki is looking a bit old. Information is out of date and sections of the wiki are stubs or links to empty pages. As seems to be the discussion, this needs to change. Many of the workers at The Indie Stone do not have the time to dedicate to the wiki to update it, so it's up to us the community to try and get this information up to date. How? Editing it.

WAIT! DON'T CLOSE THE TAB!

I get it. Wiki software is... interesting to navigate and use. Don't want to edit it? That's fine but that doesn't mean you can't be helpful. If you are completely afraid of editing the wiki (which is fine) then all you have to do is have a quick scan through the wiki and look for key things. What pages are completely out of date? What requires an overhaul? Which pages do you feel should be of higher priority? Is it minor changes or huge ones? Do you go to reference a page on the wiki and find it doesn't have enough information for your liking? Then say something. Post a link or say the topic you feel needs changing and say how important it is. I will designate it (and hope others would use this system too when posting in this thread) of the three stage system.

Emergency Edit Required or RED

This is the stuff that needs to be changed as soon as possible. It should be the top of the list and the thing that deserves the most attention. These pages are usually essential and will give new players a huge help when starting the game for the first time.

Urgent Edit Required or AMBER

This is the stuff that while important is something that can wait. Crafting recipes or new items are something that would be categorized under this.

Edit When Possible or GREEN

This is the stuff that can wait. It's at the bottom of the list and not critical for players. This would be staff profiles or character history (no offence guys :P) edit it when we have a moment, but leave it be for now. This can also include things that are just out of date. Little bits and pieces of the information are outdated/incorrect but can wait.

When writing about a topic it would also be helpful to add bits of information. Such as how out of date something is, or pieces of information should be added, but is not necessary.

Posting something about this in the thread would be monumentally helpful. I'm still browsing the wiki to see what needs changing, but it should be what is demanded most that should be changed first. After all, what I consider an Emergency Edit may be an Urgent edit for others. The idea is to get the community helping with the wiki, even if they can't edit the wiki, whether through lack of knowledge or time.

Editors

Now of course it would be helpful to get some editors in on this. We could use this thread as a means of communication as the wiki talk page is not very friendly or pleasing to the eyes. We could talk about any changes here or even make it so that certain editors could ask to take on a task so as to make sure no-body starts writing a huge amount when someone else is already working on it. As such in the post below here I will not only be keeping track of what information needs changing but who is editing it and hopefully what they are working on. If an editor doesn't seem to be doing anything or they seem to disappear then we will be able to reassign the task to someone else. By no means do people need to do any of this. However, I figure this might be a useful organised system.

If I end up editing the wiki by myself. Meh, so be it. I will however do my best to make sure this thread stays up to date and that the wiki gets constant edits.

I'll reserve the post below which I'll use for setting up the edit information and editors list once I get some feedback from you guys and see whether this is something worth pursuing.

I will also quickly say, I used to be a member way back when right at the beginning before all this fancy menus and saving was even in the game and wrote some guides back then as well. I took a break from the game and the community to get through my school and came back after I saw there was need for some wiki editors and the game seemed to of made a huge change (I enjoy that sort of thing when it comes to cames like Project Zomboid. Makes the game feel fresh again).

Like I said, interested to hear feedback for the idea  and such but if it amounts to nothing then I shall brave the wiki alone and slowly lose my mind I'm sure. Must be off to bed it's 11:30PM and I need to get up in 6 hours :/ so apologies for any mistakes in this.

Information Layout

What Needs Editing

Emergency Edit Required

Urgent Edit Required

Edit When Possible

- Staff Profiles

- Just generally check around the wiki.

They seem a bit empty and barren. While doing some research on Spiffo I came across a few interviews which could fill those pages up. They're also not formatted so figured that needs to be fixed. It's also criminal that Will Porter has no page. I mean really, this should probably be classed as an Emergency Edit!  :razz:

- Characters & Story

Just some things that could be expanded. I put these down low since getting the players to understand the mechanics of the games rather than the story I imagine would be more important, but I'll probably give this an edit later in the week.

Updated 06/12/13

Hey Connall,

Yeah I definitely don't bite. I am one of those rare people from Brooklyn that is usually soft-spoken.  :)

I like your idea to round up people to act as editors for areas in need of work or perhaps content that they are particularly interested in. If you see any of my discussions on the community portal or main page, basically I like to let people dive in and add to the wiki's usefulness. The only time I ask people to pause and post their plans is when it will involve major changes to pages and formats or mass deletions/additions. This is especially the case if it has to do with changes to the main page. It does not sound like that is what you're going to do at the moment but if a plan is put together you will want to post it so Kirrus, I and other interested users can offer our opinions. Hopefully the increased traffic to the wiki will continue and we will have more persons interested in getting involved. It happened before and I see signs of it happening again with the Early Access. 

The last wiki push, almost two years ago I think, was very successful in my opinion. Many pages were updated and we had quite a few people volunteering to translate the english pages. Of course those were also simpler times when I could spend several months updating and correcting a hundreds of pages and links. If you move ahead with your plan I see good things happening.

If you need to contact me I usually check in on the wiki at least once a day, and more often if there is a lot of activity - like now. I respond to emails from here and notes on my wiki talk page and I don't have any plans of disappearing any time soon. :D

By the way, you win the unofficial "Got Spiffo on the Wiki" award which has no official title associated with it but you should consider adding something to your signature.

Hey Connall,

Yeah I definitely don't bite. I am one of those rare people from Brooklyn that is usually soft-spoken.  :)

I like your idea to round up people to act as editors for areas in need of work or perhaps content that they are particularly interested in. If you see any of my discussions on the community portal or main page, basically I like to let people dive in and add to the wiki's usefulness. The only time I ask people to pause and post their plans is when it will involve major changes to pages and formats or mass deletions/additions. This is especially the case if it has to do with changes to the main page. It does not sound like that is what you're going to do at the moment but if a plan is put together you will want to post it so Kirrus, I and other interested users can offer our opinions. Hopefully the increased traffic to the wiki will continue and we will have more persons interested in getting involved. It happened before and I see signs of it happening again with the Early Access. 

The last wiki push, almost two years ago I think, was very successful in my opinion. Many pages were updated and we had quite a few people volunteering to translate the english pages. Of course those were also simpler times when I could spend several months updating and correcting a hundreds of pages and links. If you move ahead with your plan I see good things happening.

If you need to contact me I usually check in on the wiki at least once a day, and more often if there is a lot of activity - like now. I respond to emails from here and notes on my wiki talk page and I don't have any plans of disappearing any time soon. :D

By the way, you win the unofficial "Got Spiffo on the Wiki" award which has no official title associated with it but you should consider adding something to your signature.

Dude your picture is scaring the hell out of me.

-snip-

-snip-

Appreciate it. Like I said this thread is more to see what others feel needs the most updating for the wiki and such and I'll be sure to speak to you about some things. I certainly won't be making any major changes (apart from maybe a page overhaul if it is required, but I would see about clearing it with you before hand.) and I won't be touching the main page, unless it's for minor edits again something I would check with you.

No need, it is now his title ;)

Such an honor! (clyde)  

I appreciate it very much  (fedora)

I would be interested in helping, I don't have a specific section I want to work on though. I will keep an eye out on this thread and help wherever I can.

That would be great! I posted some stuff up in the OP but I'm still having a look around the wiki. No doubt there will be plenty of things to edit.

I dont think its very pressing that it gets addressed but the Last Stand mode on the Wiki could do with a spruce, afaik (Its been a while since I played with LS mode) Challenge 1 and 2 operate slightly differently and one has permanent unlockable skills/buffs after you've made a character for it.

I dont think its very pressing that it gets addressed but the Last Stand mode on the Wiki could do with a spruce, afaik (Its been a while since I played with LS mode) Challenge 1 and 2 operate slightly differently and one has permanent unlockable skills/buffs after you've made a character for it.

I've added it to the Urgent pile.

I also updated the FAQ. Didn't require much, but if anyone could make sure that everything is in order that would be helpful. I'll link other tutorials on the page once they have been updated.

The items section is missing some entries too such as Ham, the Spiffo doll and a Rubik Cube just to name a few.

Edit: Things are missing from the carpentry guide, too (such as Rain water barrels)

Double Edit: The Modding page could do with some additional information such as the new modloader and links to posts regarding that.

The crafting recipes page is outdated too.

I have been making the assumption that stuff associated with recipes and items are outdated (though hadn't look to confirm that suspicion. Suppose I can change that. Going to add these under Urgent as well.

Edit: I will say regarding guides, I'm still flip flopping on them. I'm aware they need to be updated but alot of them seem to be personal guides. Hopefully the original authors may come and update them but if not I guess I'll spruce them up.

Edited by Connall

That's me done for tonight. I was able to fix up Player (included instructions on character creation) as well as fixing the FAQ tonight. I also noticed that the occupation page was linking to a page for every job, but it looked like they were all mainly stubs. Therefore (with permission from Pianoman) I consolidated the information and requested that the pages get deleted. I'm going to take a look at the guides tomorrow and stuff that is linked on the front page since I imagine that is what needs to be critically changed, since that's what players will see first.

Anywho it's been a long night so I'm off to bed. Most likely think about the wiki while I'm laying in bed.

It's worth saying, I think, but just to make it clear, no-one should be afraid of just editing the wiki. You've got to register an account, but that's more due the caching & anti-spambot stuff. Just dive in, no-one's going to bite your head off! :)

It's worth saying, I think, but just to make it clear, no-one should be afraid of just editing the wiki. You've got to register an account, but that's more due the caching & anti-spambot stuff. Just dive in, no-one's going to bite your head off! :)

Yep, the cool thing about wikis is that even if you mess up, it is easily reverted. Just adding info to the pages is valuable, someone else can come afterwards and get all the formatting etc fixed.

Yeah of course, I'm not pretending this should be a mandatory thing, if you want to just go edit some tiny pieces of the wiki, then go knock yourself out. Hell even if someone is going across the pages and notices that the page is out of date then doing something as simple as editing it and adding {{Notice|outdated}} at the top is a HUGE help. This is because this notice automatically causes the wiki to categorize it as out of date, and has a higher chance of being noticed by someone (such as myself) to edit it. So of course, go nuts!

If you want to find some pages to edit, or want someone to check the page you edited then feel free to make a post here and I'm sure someone (probably me :-P) will get around to it.

Great idea connall, ill try and help when i get the chance :)

Every little helps man.  (clyde)

• 2 weeks later...

I've just posted about the wiki and linked to this thread in the steam forums, so hopefully this will get will get some additional activity going :)

Sweet! Really appreciate it Mash. :) I'll try and get the tasks section updated come morning and hopefully we can pull in some more contributors. As we are tackling the likes of recipes which has been a bit of a headache.  :???:

Really appreciate it though! :D  (clyde)

• 2 weeks later...

Well it certainly seems we done a bit of an overhaul. All critical pages are just about checked off the list. Still tweaking the items pages, and trying to fact check a couple of the items. Game files keep throwing myself off, since it doesn't differentiate between what is in the game and what isn't. Quite happy with how it's looking at the moment, at the moment it's all about fixing the little things and finishes off some programs to help with Recipe documentation and Item documentation.

I know someones going to come along and find some critical page that's horribly outdated and I'm going to look like a fool.  :oops:

I still got stuff like Staff profiles to do, which at the moment is basically me dragging up every interview they have ever done and reading it. So that's fun. Took a lot of edits to get to this point, but hopefully it's all good and the wiki is now a bit more of a reliable source again, but if not I'll sort it out soon enough anyway. I'm sure some health stuff/skills and traits need to fixed.

I also just want to quickly thank everybody who has been putting work into the wiki, whether it's the occasional editors and minor editors, or the awesome people doing wiki translation work. Also thanks to the IRC chat (specifically harakka) for answering some pretty stupid questions and Kirrus & Pianoman for wiki help. And of course the devs for the great game and MashPotato for help regarding the wiki. Really appreciate it everyone!  (clyde)

Now time to make the wiki absolutely perfect!  (tophat)