NagashUD

I usually having a hard time to get enough gas before electricity shut down, so why not getting it this way by farming some maize and able to make ethanol fuel? (required a lab station maybe, also able to make meds in the future with a new chemist carreer)

7 minutes ago, EnigmaGrey said:

Biofuel only started to come into common  knowledge in the mid 90s; I'm not sure it'd really fit a game set in 1993 for that reason.

Yeah i know it's from the 90's, and some farmer used vegetables oil fuel in their engine; i actually  searching about the biofuel chronology ;)

History of biofuel : The use of biofuels is no novel invention. Fueling up with vegetable oils or ethanol was popular long before the development of the combustion engine. Vegetable and animal oil lamps have been used since the dawn of civilization. Already in 1834, the first US patent for alcohol as a lamp fuel was awarded to S. Casey (Kovarik, 1998). Around 1850, thousands of distilleries produced an estimated 24 million liters (90 million gallons) of “Camphene” (a camphor oil scented blend of turpentine and ethanol) per year (Kovarik, 1998). Biofuels have also been used since the early days of the  car industry. Even the invention of the first combustion engine, the “Otto cycle”, was performed with biofuels.

Edited by NagashUD

None of which means everyone and their mom knew of and/or could produce  biofuel in 1993.

It's the same issue with solar panels and other technologies that are much more common today  and easily accessible to Internet users . . . We all get to be "experts."

These, however . . . http://web.ornl.gov/info/reports/1989/3445602994393.pdf while not exactly common knowledge, were at least shared by the government.

The real point, IMO, is that the game is balanced for multiplayer and dragons as well, there's no real point to adding a mechanic that will be removed later because it's overpowered. Yep, I can't get gas as well, generators are completely useless to me at the moment, but multiplayer (and dragons eventually) is there for you to have a team that can gather more stuff more efficiently.

That said, there is an amazing mod that lets you reactvate gas pumps by using a generator, that should solve your issue for good

3 hours ago, EnigmaGrey said:

None of which means everyone and their mom knew of and/or could produce  biofuel in 1993.

It's the same issue with solar panels and other technologies that are much more common today  and easily accessible to Internet users . . . We all get to be "experts."

These, however . . . http://web.ornl.gov/info/reports/1989/3445602994393.pdf while not exactly common knowledge, were at least shared by the government.

Indeed, with internet now we can find tutorials for everything, but not in 93's; i'm reading the pdf, very interesting ! thanks for share !

I did try this mod, but finally it's a gamebreaker, you never need to use firecamp/wood stoves etc anymore, and on the late game, it's kinda boring; what i'm talking about is to find ideas or ways to improve some profession that can be usefull ingame; like electrician, is a bit underused imo because the only point to use it is to start generators :/

Edited by NagashUD

I didn't know that the mod is broken in the latest version, I haven't tried it lately, such a shame :(

Anyway the gas is not infinite, it will end eventually, and in multiplayer (or with dragons) that's not as unlikely as one may think.

The problem is that right now we need alternatives, soon we won't.

Adding another way of gathering gas may be risky for the future balance (even though now it's unbalanced).

The other day I read a suggestion about the useless electrician, a guy suggested to merge it in the engineer job, that may work in my opinion

12 minutes ago, Livio Persemprio said:

I didn't know that the mod is broken in the latest version, I haven't tried it lately, such a shame :(

Anyway the gas is not infinite, it will end eventually, and in multiplayer (or with dragons) that's not as unlikely as one may think.

The problem is that right now we need alternatives, soon we won't.

Adding another way of gathering gas may be risky for the future balance (even though now it's unbalanced).

The other day I read a suggestion about the useless electrician, a guy suggested to merge it in the engineer job, that may work in my opinion

Oh no the mod isn't broken, after i didn't try for the new version, i meant that after a while it breaks the gameplay, infinite fuel means no need to use firecamps etc;

For the biofuel, i think farmers were able to make their own by themself, can't remember the exact years but it was between 80's/90's and became illegal here for airpollution (smelled like french fries)

Last time i've tried engineers i couldn't connect the generator (probably fixed) but in fact exept at the mall there is no electronic stores in town, making hard to make some receipes for electicians, engineers seems to be balanced (more receipes in the futur would be welcome).

But in fact it is why professions are made somehow, to excel in their job ;)
I'll go the the farm next to my house today to ask about biofuel if they used it and when

I am that guy! *stands proud among the cheering masses*

In the meantime there's a mod that allows you to wire up a local gas station to a generator and keep the pumps chugging. While it may not be the most elegant solution it does allow for generators (and the persons who opted to use them) to stay relevant for more than a few days following the collapse of the power grid and largely removes the fevered rush to locate as many gas cans as possible.

Being said there's also the reality of fuels, diesel and otherwise, having a not unlimited shelf life. If long term power generation is something that the PZ team wants to keep as a viable option an alternative will probably need to crop up.

Biofuel production is a pretty cool idea imo, but it's something of an involved affair and the most ideal crops for such a process aren't exactly those that are available to us right now. PZ incorporating new crops that can be pressed for oil, refined, distilled etc and so on would end up becoming a rather full time job in addition to creating a rather substantial production chain. Though the organic production of alcohols and burnable fuels would be the best way to go assuming that the creation of monumental structures such as wind/water generators isn't planned.

Those would be pretty involved in their own rights tbh. I haven't the slightest clue if they would be efficient enough to power up a home, especially without battery banks and new mechanics.

But then again, as I said fuel is not infinite at pumps, it will end eventually, especially in multiplayer, it's not really game breaking, I think that alternative fuels could do more harm than good to the future balance of the game (unless cars raises the gas demand to the point that having a renovable source becomes a necessity)

2 minutes ago, King Kitteh said:

Wait they're going to add dragons?

Sorry, I don't really follow this games development. Afterall, it's just some freebie sideon that came with my game of Tic Tac Toe.

Those good old days, sadly I wasn't around yet.

But, yes, RJ said he's working on the ability to tame them and ride them. hype!1!

5 hours ago, Livio Persemprio said:

But then again, as I said fuel is not infinite at pumps, it will end eventually, especially in multiplayer, it's not really game breaking, I think that alternative fuels could do more harm than good to the future balance of the game (unless cars raises the gas demand to the point that having a renovable source becomes a necessity)

What balance is disrupted by fuel not ending at the same time electricity does? 

At the present generators are basically a last gasp of juice following the termination of main power unless you're running some supporting mods.

18 minutes ago, Dusty Lens said:

What balance is disrupted by fuel not ending at the same time electricity does? 

At the present generators are basically a last gasp of juice following the termination of main power unless you're running some supporting mods.

Sorry. The balance I was referring to was the fact that one would think that gas pumps have infinite gas, but that's not the case even with the mod. Actually I was among the first players complaining about this gas system, it's clearly broken, but then I thought that it's better to not touch the balance of the game since essential parts of it are still missing, and that mod.is quite effective so we should be fine for the minute

Edited by Livio Persemprio

12 minutes ago, Livio Persemprio said:

Sorry. The balance I was referring to was the fact that one would think that gas pumps have infinite gas, but that's not the case even with the mod. Actually I was among the first players complaining about this gas system, it's clearly broken, but then I thought that it's better to not touch the balance of the game since essential parts of it are still missing, and that mod.is quite effective so we should be fine for the minute

Ah, I understand now. Thank you for clarifying! For what it's worth I agree with your position.

• 4 weeks later...