Guns, skills, and training.

TheGentleman

Hello ladies and gents,

I have recently decided to test out some things that I have wondered regarding guns and to see what I could find out. I gathered quite a few guns, and quite a stock of ammo, and went to work testing things. One of my main questions was regarding whether you got any EXP for the aiming skill for just shooting a weapon, without hitting anything. I also wanted to know whether or not I could actually break windows and take down doors with a gun. Here are my results. (Note: I tested using both the ORGM gun mod and the vanilla weapons)

• You do not gain any EXP in aiming by shooting the weapon, in order to increase the aiming skill and get EXP, you must hit a zombie/player.
  • You can break windows however you must be within 2 tiles of the window.
  • You can also break down doors however, like windows, you must be within 2 tiles.
  • I did not test whether or not one could destroy player created structures using guns, however I assume that they are destructible.

This in turn led me to start thinking of a few things.

First, would it not be feasible to gain EXP for just shooting the weapon? From what I've learned through experience just firing a weapon can be enough experience to learn how to at least handle the weapon and somewhat get a basic understanding of how to aim the weapon.

Second, wouldn't it also be possible to break windows and doors from a decent distance? Of course perhaps not with a unskilled user, but someone who has some skill in aiming should be able to at least hit a plain window from at least 5-10 meters out. Regardless of skill, if one uses a fully automatic weapon they should, by chance, at least hit the window at some point.

And finally, now this is more of a suggestion, but would it be possible for one to possibly shoot the lock off a door? It's quite common for police and military forces to use this tactic, and there are even entire weapons devoted to simply blasting the lock and breaching the door. This however would likely be very difficult considering how aiming and shooting in PZ works in general (There'd be no way to discern between simply aiming at the door or aiming at the door handle/lock)

Now, I should make it very clear that I am in no way attacking TIS, this is simply my honest criticism about how some aspects of guns are handled by the game. I understand that this game is still in development, and I also understand that this game is being made and owned by TIS, and that they choose what they do with the game. I also shall state that I am in no way aware of TIS's plans regarding the game and regarding firearms, and that it is very possible that TIS may have already considered these things and may change them later on.

Thank you for reading, and please post any comments you might have. 

And to The Indie Stone team, thank you for such a great game, truly one of the best zombie survival games out there in my opinion. 

Regards

- TheGentleman.

And finally, now this is more of a suggestion, but would it be possible for one to possibly shoot the lock off a door? It's quite common for police and military forces to use this tactic, and there are even entire weapons devoted to simply blasting the lock and breaching the door. This however would likely be very difficult considering how aiming and shooting in PZ works in general (There'd be no way to discern between simply aiming at the door or aiming at the door handle/lock)

In Brigade E5 when you shoot at (through) the doors, the game assumes you want to force the lock and does the check. It worked quite well, but the machanic was taken down in the successor game 7.62: High Calibre.

All in all however, I don't think I'd be using this mechanic seeing how loud the gunshot is, plus you're wasting potentially precious ammo.

Hello ladies and gents,

I have recently decided to test out some things that I have wondered regarding guns and to see what I could find out. I gathered quite a few guns, and quite a stock of ammo, and went to work testing things. One of my main questions was regarding whether you got any EXP for the aiming skill for just shooting a weapon, without hitting anything. I also wanted to know whether or not I could actually break windows and take down doors with a gun. Here are my results. (Note: I tested using both the ORGM gun mod and the vanilla weapons)

• You do not gain any EXP in aiming by shooting the weapon, in order to increase the aiming skill and get EXP, you must hit a zombie/player.
  • You can also break down doors however, like windows, you must be within 2 tiles.
  • I did not test whether or not one could destroy player created structures using guns, however I assume that they are destructible.

First, would it not be feasible to gain EXP for just shooting the weapon? From what I've learned through experience just firing a weapon can be enough experience to learn how to at least handle the weapon and somewhat get a basic understanding of how to aim the weapon.

Second, wouldn't it also be possible to break windows and doors from a decent distance? Of course perhaps not with a unskilled user, but someone who has some skill in aiming should be able to at least hit a plain window from at least 5-10 meters out. Regardless of skill, if one uses a fully automatic weapon they should, by chance, at least hit the window at some point.

Now, I should make it very clear that I am in no way attacking TIS, this is simply my honest criticism about how some aspects of guns are handled by the game. I understand that this game is still in development, and I also understand that this game is being made and owned by TIS, and that they choose what they do with the game. I also shall state that I am in no way aware of TIS's plans regarding the game and regarding firearms, and that it is very possible that TIS may have already considered these things and may change them later on.

And to The Indie Stone team, thank you for such a great game, truly one of the best zombie survival games out there in my opinion. 

Regards

- TheGentleman.

Door breaching could be done in the right-click context menu to avoid having to code a mechanic like Brigade 5's.

Just note that without specially designed breaching rounds, it's not 100% effective.  Modern locks can be shot and not necessarily break open.

In Brigade E5 when you shoot at (through) the doors, the game assumes you want to force the lock and does the check. It worked quite well, but the machanic was taken down in the successor game 7.62: High Calibre.

All in all however, I don't think I'd be using this mechanic seeing how loud the gunshot is, plus you're wasting potentially precious ammo.

That is understandable, however, there are likely a few instances where one might rather choose to shoot the door and possibly open it than say be eaten by a horde. Also, this depends on whether one has a decent supply of ammo, which depends on loot settings and general luck. I should also state that with the ORGM gun mod, ammo can actually be in good abundance in some cases (If you have not played with the mod at all, it includes a number of ammo items which contain a large amount of ammunition, up to 250 round per box)

Hello ladies and gents,

Regards

- TheGentleman.

Door breaching could be done in the right-click context menu to avoid having to code a mechanic like Brigade 5's.

Just note that without specially designed breaching rounds, it's not 100% effective.  Modern locks can be shot and not necessarily break open.

Right-clicking could be a possibility, however I assume it would be quite difficult when you have little time to do such a thing, and generally speaking I would assume that you'd only attempt to shoot a door if absolutely need to get through that door quickly. It's likely that the only times it will be seriously used is in situations where a quick bind or a certain action will initiate a breach.

I am also aware about breaching rounds, as I refer to it when I mention weapons specifically devoted to that task. I could have specified, but I highly doubt the TIS would seriously consider such a small detail.

You see it more in movies than real life... usually if the police are expecting to encounter locked doors they bring a breaching tool and just bust the doorknob off... this removes most of the impediment (deadbolt is handled differently). When cops lack a breaching tool, they shoot the door or frame near the lock because it's easier to weaken the wood enough to make the lock meaningless than to shoot the lock (same for padlocks - usually easier to destroy the latch than the lock) but it still takes a good deal of force to finish the job and kick/shoulder the door open.

Now with PZ we can't exactly target the lock instead of the door as a whole but it'd be nice if dropping the door to say 80% removed the knob and set the door to an unlocked - and unlockable - state (because you shouldn't have to turn a door into kindling to open it)... of course, this would work for zombies as well which is where barricading comes in...

I did craft a hay ball with target, using a book and a pistol. The skill increases, you can consider that you've missed the target, we dunno. Anyway, there was no sounds! It was apparently a silent pistol (?). I guess that way to train your skill was to use a bow at first...

I did craft a hay ball with target, using a book and a pistol. The skill increases, you can consider that you've missed the target, we dunno. Anyway, there was no sounds! It was apparently a silent pistol (?). I guess that way to train your skill was to use a bow at first...

I used the bow on the target and got no skill at all, i think it was 10 arrows, gone to waste

Archived