Perishable food largely pointless?

Maderas

Apologies if this has been posted before, I did a couple searches but didn't find anything relevant to what I wanted to ask. Topic, basically. Without there being some kind of canning/preservation system currently in game, and the nerf to soup in the latest fix, is there really any reason to bother looting perishable food anymore? I can see the merit in carrying just enough to keep you from going hungry in the first couple weeks before the power cuts out, but hoarding it seems like a waste of carry space now.

I usually clean out every fridge I come across and try to squirrel it back to my safehouse, but in my last couple playthroughs the power went out and it all spoiled before I really put a dent in it. Next time I plan to mostly ignore it aside from what I need to survive, and expend most of my efforts hunting non-perishable stuff.

Yeah, that's what I figured. I do hope they'll add some kind of system that lets you preserve items eventually, because it seems kind of a waste that so much of the food in game becomes useless relatively early on. It could be awesome once NPCs go in, though. Literal wars over cans of dog food. :P

Hmm... have the devs stated whether or not NPC looting will actually clean out the areas they loot? It would be pretty cool if they actually gathered resources, performed construction at their safehouse, etc. dynamically rather than it being semi-scripted.

Yeah, that's what I figured. I do hope they'll add some kind of system that lets you preserve items eventually, because it seems kind of a waste that so much of the food in game becomes useless relatively early on. It could be awesome once NPCs go in, though. Literal wars over cans of dog food. :P

Hmm... have the devs stated whether or not NPC looting will actually clean out the areas they loot? It would be pretty cool if they actually gathered resources, performed construction at their safehouse, etc. dynamically rather than it being semi-scripted.

That's actually exactly what they have planned afaik ;)

how about a engine to power a house light, fridge and microwave but you would need too get petrol from cars or stations too keep it going . you could maybe scatter the parts of the engine all over the map to collect and put together at your base, but if your could make barbed wire you could use the combo  to defend from zombies by shocking them

I'm thinking that implementing a dehydrator would be a great way to somehow keep perishables. Survivalists always seem to have one, and well the game is about survival. Other than that, I have always wondered how ice cream survives so long without a freezer......hint hint. Either would be great for a long term game attempt.

A side effect of the newer changes to bags lets you preserve food.

Put a plastic bag in your offhand, and fill it with perishables. Then unequip it. The bag, being inaccessible, halts the spoil timers on its contents.  You can also put that plastic bag into another bag. You lose the 'weight compression' of the plastic bag, but get to preserve the perishables.

I think of it as the 'zombie apocalypse ziplock bag technique'

Enigma so were is this mod?

I searched for it but wasn't able to find the mod.

Please post a link.

Welp, there's one piece of it from Thuztor -- but that's all the manual searching around the old TIS forums that I'm willing to do at 4 AM.

http://www.theindiestone.com/community/viewtopic.php%3Ff=31&t=8926&start=100.html

and the sprites here:

http://www.theindiestone.com/community/viewtopic.php%3Ff=24&t=11525.html

Best of luck.

Put a plastic bag in your offhand, and fill it with perishables. Then unequip it. The bag, being inaccessible, halts the spoil timers on its contents.  You can also put that plastic bag into another bag. You lose the 'weight compression' of the plastic bag, but get to preserve the perishables.

What is this?! developers fix this. :mad:

Perishable food should be perishable. Period. Whether you put them in magic bags or not.

What is this?! developers fix this. :mad:

Perishable food should be perishable. Period. Whether you put them in magic bags or not.

What's the magic word ?

I swear it wasn't  " :mad:"...

What's the magic word ?

Please, Romain, use Thutzor's lovely sprites to make a compost bin.

You're RedKrypton's only hope . . .

It was more about the bag stuff...

But I think this guy don't know what a bug is... Or he really think we implemented "magic bag" for fun :D

What's the magic word ?

But I think this guy don't know what a bug is... Or he really think we implemented "magic bag" for fun :D

Please, you just forgot to branch off the Magic version of the game again . . .

That's for us alone! *Throws fireball at zombies*

What's the magic word ?

*Face changes* :mad: >>> :-| >>> (fedora)

Alright, so would you please sir fix this bug for the sake of humanity (tophat)