Charcoal from the wood and torches

ditoseadio

Have you ever used your own charcoal before? It doesn't work like that at all.

well it does sort of work. and you can make your own using other methods as well.

It doesn't work to the extent of making torches, though it might be useful as kindling in a fire.  You need better fuel for a torch.

well it does sort of work. and you can make your own using other methods as well.

It doesn't work to the extent of making torches, though it might be useful as kindling in a fire. You need better fuel for a torch.

I'm fairly certain he meant craft torches Minecraft style to light houses, not charcoal torches.

I'll just not comment on that though...

Wood ash is very useful for one very important thing, though. Lye! And by extension, Soap! (And dynamite)

It doesn't work to the extent of making torches, though it might be useful as kindling in a fire. You need better fuel for a torch.

I'm fairly certain he meant craft torches Minecraft style to light houses, not charcoal torches.

I'll just not comment on that though...

Wood ash is very useful for one very important thing, though. Lye! And by extension, Soap! (And dynamite)

exactly. i mean i meant it could be used in fires but not much else. also possibly as a marker or make shift pencil.

If you douse a fire before it's burnt completely to ashes, you'll have some crude charcoal.  It's basically the black unburnt wood that has had the volatile organic components and gases driven off.  If you doused it with ashes or dirt, no drying would be required, however if you used water, you would have to let the crude charcoal dry out for several days/weeks, depending on how hot and dry the weather is.  The only thing really worth using that for would be biochar for your garden (I would say you'd need farming lvl over 5-6 to really know how to use it), or you would put the charcoal in a BBQ grill to cook food/purify water.

Another possible use would be to make gunpowder for explosives or black-powder rifles (would need sulfur and saltpeter also), BUT you need a high grade charcoal, not really something that would come out of a campfire.  With a higher carpentry and engineering lvl (or chemist lvl, if ever implemented), you would be able to make charcoal with a DIY retort.

If you douse a fire before it's burnt completely to ashes, you'll have some crude charcoal.  It's basically the black unburnt wood that has had the volatile organic components and gases driven off.  If you doused it with ashes or dirt, no drying would be required, however if you used water, you would have to let the crude charcoal dry out for several days/weeks, depending on how hot and dry the weather is.  The only thing really worth using that for would be biochar for your garden (I would say you'd need farming lvl over 5-6 to really know how to use it), or you would put the charcoal in a BBQ grill to cook food/purify water.

Another possible use would be to make gunpowder for explosives or black-powder rifles (would need sulfur and saltpeter also), BUT you need a high grade charcoal, not really something that would come out of a campfire.  With a higher carpentry and engineering lvl (or chemist lvl, if ever implemented), you would be able to make charcoal with a DIY retort.

true but it would take a lot.