LOTS of lag on a high end gaming computer

Conman9910

Question

Hey everyone! So this is going to be a fairly long explanation so please bear with me! So I bought the game way back when the zombies still looked like aliens. I loved it! Once the new update came out I was super pumped downloaded it only to find out that I was having some fairly big lag issues. Now in the title when I say a high end computer I mean windows 8 with i7 and one of the best radeon on cards. It can run games like just cause 2 and arma 2 with no lag on high quality settings. When there were aliens in the game I had no lag what so ever. Anyways I noticed what would happen with the game is there would be no lag for about 10 seconds and then lag for about 3. On top of that sometimes the game would crash and it wild say my lovely radeon card stopped working and recovered. I have everything updated including my java. With a 2d java game I shoudl have no lag what so ever. Can someone please give me a fix to this? Thanks

Doesn't matter whether you try via Desura or Steam, it's the exact same game. The only difference is the Steam build right now is a very unstable test release, so if anything you're going to get much worse results.

Yes as you've been told you can force the computer to use one graphics card or another on a per-program basis. You might have to Google it or just be patient for a bit until EnigmaGrey gets back online. I don't use a dual card setup and I'm on a Mac, so I'm not the one to ask. Enigma can't be on 24/7 just to help you  :razz: So either wait a bit for him to come back, or try out Google for how to force the computer to use a specific card.

Ok, so i got this game yesterday, wanted it for a while but had other games to get through first........man am i disappointed, i have tried everything mentioned on every forum i can find regarding these FPS issues, i constantly spike every time i move from 60 FPS all the way down to 8 FPS,  whether their are zombies or no zombies, if i move i get a huge FPS drop, i have a pretty good gaming rig set up here, running everything from WoW to Far Cry 3 at a stable 60 FPS,  i have an AMD Phantom II x6 8GB with 64 bit OS and my Graphic card is a ATI Radeon HD 5870. I am running nothing else when trying to play the game.(other than MSI which i have tried turning off and still no change)

I have tried no UI, with UI, in all video memory settings and also combined them with full screen and windowed mode along with all the different resolution settings, along with pressing "G" in game to change the graphics settings its extremely frustrating.

Its a pretty decent set up, not amazing but should be good enough to enjoy this game but i can't, as it stand it was a complete waste of money, i understand this is still in Alpha but comparing this to other games i am currently playing in Alpha (Unepic, Prison Architect etc) this is a huge let down,. I really hope you guys get this fixed, i think the game looks awesome and i am still excited to play it even after these issues.

If anyone has any ideas i would be grateful.

Nayr

EzPzJoystiq 

Read the original post and either follow its instructions or don't post in it.

Moved here.

Ok, 1st of all, shocking reply,

im guessing you mean try in sandbox, move 10 tiles etc etc, when i move 3 tiles i drop 40-55 FPS, its like watching a slide show,  i meant to type that in the original post, but with a list as long as my arm on "try this" suggestions i apologise if i left a couple out, everything mentioned i have tried and tried again with the same results, 60 FPS -> 5 FPS when i move a few tiles, now i want to play this game, hell i want to fo promote this game on my channel, but as it stands, i can only recommend people to wait until it's out of Alpha.

The game i have heard about sounds awesome, just wish my experience playing it was the same. 5 pounds isn't a whole lot of money for some people, for the few people that decided to spend thier money on this game as there treat for the week/month etc i feel sorry for,  sorry guys, ill apologise for you!

And you needn't bother apologizing on behalf of anyone else, I think that's a bit brash. The stable build runs fine for everyone I've ever talked to with a half decent PC. If you want to not recommend a game because a buggy test build is buggy… that's your prerogative I suppose.

So I should do the fixed graphic card option thing?

Depends I suppose - did your upgrade make any difference? Do games still appear to be using the Intel rather than the Radeon?

I'd have a look at the YouTube link first - if you have the option as in that example, where he right-clicks on the desktop and chooses "Configure Switchable Graphics" etc, then might be easier to try that.

If you can't do that, and are still having issues getting PZ and games to "use the Radeon rather than the Intel, then might be worth seeing if you can change the mode in the BIOS?

I dont see how its possible to have such huge fps drop as down to 8fps on a high end computer.

PZ was even running smooth on my 6 year old computer.

The age of your computer is really irrelevant, as is "high end computer." As Lemmy has been kind enough to make abundantly clear, just cause it's a 2D game doesn't mean it's easy on the computer. Graphics cards aren't optimized for 2D anymore. If you want further information on it, check some of Lemmy's old very helpful posts about it. But repeating this over and over isn't helping anyone, especially not you.