Looking through game files?

Tyken132

Question

I was curious if it was possible to look through the game files for more details such as: specifics on traits and skills, a list of each items purpose and spawnable locations, and other such game mechanic questions.

I ask because I know people have looked through files of other games to learn indepth details and this game sorely needs specifics, as many people seem to be misinformed or not informed at all in a lot of important things which the wiki can't/doesn't seem to answer.

15 answers to this question

do I need notepad ++ I use notepad an stuff umm I was wondering how I would go about adding items the can be used in the health/medical check menu I have looked through files some of them I have a really hard time interpreting . is it notepad ++ to convert the text files that is all these symbols that I stumble upon when looking through files sometimes????

Decompile the game files and use a program like NotePad++ to search through them. It's the only way.

As realmkeeper just pointed out, its not entirely ok to decompile them. I suppose I could ask the devs if it were ok and I doubt they'd mind what I want to do, but i'm not sure they'd go for it.

Decompile the game files and use a program like NotePad++ to search through them. It's the only way.

As realmkeeper just pointed out, its not entirely ok to decompile them. I suppose I could ask the devs if it were ok and I doubt they'd mind what I want to do, but i'm not sure they'd go for it.

It's fine to decompile the source code privately. It's not fine to steal the code and threaten to make your own version, as is where that second license came from.

Ah! Just wanted to clear that up. Well then, follow up question. How would one go about doing what I want to do?

I don't have any occupation or hobby traits that'd give me experience in the matter. However I do have the fast learning trait, if you're willing to give me a breif run down.

There are a few options. One freeware version that's simple to use is this one: http://www.neshkov.com/dj.html

Install it, go to Files, Open, and navigate to %ProgramFiles(x86)%\Steam\steamapps\common\ProjectZomboid and click the Zomboid folder. It should convert everything there to *.java files. Save these to your desktop.

Grab a program like Notepad++ (http://www.neshkov.com/dj.html) and install it. Press ctrl + f and go to Find in Files. Then the pain starts: figuring out what terms were used in the game (endurance or exuastion, woodworking or carpentry .etc). A blanket search for skill and trait will give you a good idea what to search for in the future.

Finally got around to trying this. If I try to open up just the folder, it opens up with a bunch of gibberish. Any idea on whats up?

I use JD GUI to look around in the sourcecode, pretty easy to use and you don´t have to convert anything. Just start the program, click on "File"->"Open File" and navigate to "ProjectZomboid\zombie" and pick any class file. It loads up anything, so not only the class file you picked (look at the left hand tree view).

I use JD GUI to look around in the sourcecode, pretty easy to use and you don´t have to convert anything. Just start the program, click on "File"->"Open File" and navigate to "ProjectZomboid\zombie" and pick any class file. It loads up anything, so not only the class file you picked (look at the left hand tree view).

Tried this one just now and I can't seem to actually "Open" anything

It's fine to decompile the source code privately. It's not fine to steal the code and threaten to make your own version, as is where that second license came from.

There are a few options. One freeware version that's simple to use is this one: http://www.neshkov.com/dj.html

Install it, go to Files, Open, and navigate to %ProgramFiles(x86)%\Steam\steamapps\common\ProjectZomboid and click the Zomboid folder. It should convert everything there to *.java files. Save these to your desktop.

Grab a program like Notepad++ (http://www.neshkov.com/dj.html) and install it. Press ctrl + f and go to Find in Files. Then the pain starts: figuring out what terms were used in the game (endurance or exuastion, woodworking or carpentry .etc). A blanket search for skill and trait will give you a good idea what to search for in the future.

Well, directly from the PZLicense.txt file - 

Restrictions. Licensee may not without expressed permission from The Indie Stone, and may not permit others to:

(a) reverse engineer, decompile, decode, decrypt, disassemble, or in any way derive source code from, the Software;

(b) modify, translate, adapt, alter, or create derivative works from the Software using decompiled source code;

© copy (other than one back-up copy), distribute, publicly display, transmit, sell, rent, lease or otherwise exploit the Software; or

(d) distribute, sublicense, rent, lease, loan [or grant any third party access to or use of] the Software to any third party.

But besides that, you're free to browse as you wish, I guess...

(Granted, most of the 'values' of interest are either in plaintext config files, or LUA)

I was curious if it was possible to look through the game files for more details such as: specifics on traits and skills, a list of each items purpose and spawnable locations, and other such game mechanic questions.

I ask because I know people have looked through files of other games to learn indepth details and this game sorely needs specifics, as many people seem to be misinformed or not informed at all in a lot of important things which the wiki can't/doesn't seem to answer.

Item Infos: Project Zomboid\media\scripts\

Files: items.txt\newitems.txt

(Some stuff is hardcoded but you can get most info out of those)

Item Distribution: Project Zomboid\media\lua\server\Items\SuburbsDistribution.lua

Traits: Project Zomboid\media\lua\shared\NPCs\MainCreationMethods.lua

(Trait details [how they work etc.] are hardcoded, not viewable by looking at files)

Most other things are in various .lua scripts in Project Zomboid\media\lua directory but a lot of stuff is hardcoded and Idk how to check it.

Hmm, much of that stuff doesn't seem to give me anymore answers than what's already availible on the wiki

Traits, for instant.

Athletic/Fit gives a boost to speed and length to running. I'm looking for hard numbers on how much it increases it by and if they both give the same set amount, then 2/4 fitness.

Resilience/Prone to Illness: do they effect the chances of getting a zombie infection or merely speeds it up if you were to get it.

Slow/Fast healing: How much faster/slower?

Those are just a few expamples and I'm basically looking for hard numbers and indepth details.

JD-GUI has it's own editor, Chaosoul. You only have to download it.

I finally manage to get DJ decompiler to work but I can't seem to find the traits in any of these.

I checked \ProjectZomboid\zombie\characters\traits but with little success. Am I looking in the wrong spot or are they just not listed?

Archived