Boxed Project Zomboid

VamyreLord

Pfff..."They take so much space..." what, are you guys living in a cabin or something?

Hehe, I'm going through this problem right now ;) I've managed to whittle down my game boxes to my classic LucasArts adventure games--games that I couldn't play again even if I wanted to because many are on 3.5" floppies.

My mom making me throw out many of my Sierra game boxes when we moved house is still a painful memory. :cry:

I personally dislike "digital only" games to the point I'll never buy one if I can get it "for real", even if it means spending far more ("On Demand" console games can just go away please?). Obviously I expect to pay more for a packaged retail product, though, just like buying a CD or book over a bunch of MP3 or ebook data files.

On the other hand, something like PZ is a little different IMO, because it's a small developer who I'd much rather give 100% of the money to.

It's greedy big companies who charge close to the same for their digital downloads (ebooks the same price as paperbacks?!) and don't bother putting manuals in their boxed games that I oppose. Plus, where I am in Australia, downloading 4gb games isn't something most internet plans allow for on a too-regular basis!

Yep. That's why I don't like having MP3 songs, never as satisfactory as having CDs or Vinyls.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never bought songs in mp3. I think it's a waste of money to be honest. When I buy music it needs to be a real item and not some bits... I also prefer vinyl over cd any day. It's just an immersive experience putting the needle on the disc and wait the beginning rustles.

But back on topic! I'd love to have PZ in an old school box (like the sierra ones mentioned) with a nice thick manual with maybe some artwork thrown in. I still have my Wing Commander floppy disk safely in its box sitting on top of my shelf. my preciousssss....

Your probably just jaded I walk a fine line of physical and digital but I know the benefits and disadvantages of both. I like the feeling of a boxed copy but certain games just wont work boxed unless it hands them out as a bonus for spending a certain amount of money (Kickstarter and indiegogo comes to mind) or a special event. Every indie game can almost never release boxed unless its a reward for something or they get published (Journey got released in a bundle that had a disk). Personally I prefer digital more and have no idea why you would think it sucks and also I like not having to carry around vinyls or CDs. 

Also I cant really think of any advantages of having disks other then nostalgia and consoles.

Sure digital copies can be lost if the service provider dies, but disks and cartridges deteriorate from everyday use. on average, i would bet the average life of a digital purchase (end of life being not distributed digitally) would be fairly bigger than the average physical storage disk lifetime

I don't think practicality is the most important thing though. It's the fact that you're holding a physical object that you can get attached to. It's the same difference as with an original one-of-the-first-issues of a book and a new published pocket book version. It's more about the feeling you get about the whole concept rather than how easy it's to use. Well to me it's like this. And I do think boxes, CD's, vinyls etc. are a part of the whole concept and help create the atmosphere of the piece of art whether it's a game or music or whatever. This is what many seem to have forgotten. You get so much more hype when you have the physical thing with artwork etc. in your hands. It's the same as band logos. They're necessarily not needed but they do add something important.

I don't think practicality is the most important thing though. It's the fact that you're holding a physical object that you can get attached to. It's the same difference as with an original one-of-the-first-issues of a book and a new published pocket book version. It's more about the feeling you get about the whole concept rather than how easy it's to use. Well to me it's like this. And I do think boxes, CD's, vinyls etc. are a part of the whole concept and help create the atmosphere of the piece of art whether it's a game or music or whatever. This is what many seem to have forgotten. You get so much more hype when you have the physical thing with artwork etc. in your hands. It's the same as band logos. They're necessarily not needed but they do add something important.

More or less where I stand, but I also like purely digital media for its convenience.

My love for the material world re: digital files ends in the late 90s, though.

I agree. I miss that feeling.

Miss going to Game in the mornings, fetching a bus to the local shopping center, queuing up and buying my game. Then on the way back on the bus, ripping the seal, opening it up and reading the manual only to be more excited! Shame those days are long gone now, with the void filled in by digital distribution.

Unfortunately, PC game distribution is on the decline. You walk into any game shop these days and you'll see endless shelves of console games, and perhaps a small teeny weeny corner somewhere dedicated to PC games. It's how the market is currently, and its not going to d-evolve any time soon.

Edit* Actually, now that I remember; majority of those were console games I was buying! Back when I had a playstation and that. I'm actually a relatively early PC gamer, having only started using a PC around 2002-4.

Those days were gone before the rise digital distribution though. Games haven't come in proper boxes with big old manuals in them for a long time, it's been DVD cases with only the disc and epilepsy warning slip in them from the early 2000s. Digital distribution, on the other hand, is pushing PC gaming back up again.

A month ago I walked in a game store and asked for Fallout New Vegas. I was Shocked by the fact a popular game like this is not distributed fairly among retailers. I saw the Fallout Trilogy compo box back there and he even showed me a copy of Fallout 3. He said: "you can find it in Steam tho" and I said: "fuck it". I ended up buying it through Amazon.

Pfff..."They take so much space..." what, are you guys living in a cabin or something?

Hehe, I'm going through this problem right now ;) I've managed to whittle down my game boxes to my classic LucasArts adventure games--games that I couldn't play again even if I wanted to because many are on 3.5" floppies.

Lol i thought i was the only person how held on to his old stuff. I Still have windows 3.1 on 15 5.25 floppy disks and DOS 7 on 3.5 Floppy. I have no idea why i keep them other to show my kids When they get older. I also Still have my Tandy with the old tape recorder for a hard drive. I threw out my 386 a few years ago. I remember the day when i upgraded from 256k ram to 1mb of ram I was asked why in the world i was buying that much ram because it would never be needed. I still have my 486 dx66 but i had to trash the monitor it got ruined when my basement flooded.

Lol i thought i was the only person how held on to his old stuff. I Still have windows 3.1 on 15 5.25 floppy disks and DOS 7 on 3.5 Floppy. I have no idea why i keep them other to show my kids When they get older. I also Still have my Tandy with the old tape recorder for a hard drive. I threw out my 386 a few years ago. I remember the day when i upgraded from 256k ram to 1mb of ram I was asked why in the world i was buying that much ram because it would never be needed. I still have my 486 dx66 but i had to trash the monitor it got ruined when my basement flooded.

And here I am, wanting to acquire these goods, but having no money to do so.

I am your future! :lol:

I don't have ANY boxed PC games, and I plan on selling the physical copies of my console games to get them on PSN so I can clear up space on my entertainment stand for other consoles. I'm more of a "I don't feel nostalgia, now give me a digital copy" kind of guy. I hate when disks get scratched or handheld game cartridges get lost, so I just prefer digital versions. Easier to keep hold of.

I stopped keeping the box's (except in rare cases) but i do keep the manuals. The prize of my collection is my Warcraft going from Orcs v Humans to Frozen Throne, Starcraft, and Diablo 1/2 manuals (the artwork is just so awesome). But i have Civ 1/Civ 2/Civ 3 also which are basically books, and a few others on my shelves.

I stopped keeping the box's (except in rare cases) but i do keep the manuals. The prize of my collection is my Warcraft going from Orcs v Humans to Frozen Throne, Starcraft, and Diablo 1/2 manuals (the artwork is just so awesome). But i have Civ 1/Civ 2/Civ 3 also which are basically books, and a few others on my shelves.

I have all of the Warcraft manuals and boxes too. :D I agree on the artwork. It's just simply beautiful work that's been done there. It's a completely different world to what people nowadays think when you mention Warcraft.

I actually collect the less loved relics of the physical media craze: demo disks. Primarily for the reason that many magazines producing them only had small runs in the early 90s. I get the impression in a few decades, finding things like this in good shape is going to get increasingly difficult -- be it older boxes (with their embossed or multi-fold artwork) or the disks themselves.

Sort of makes me sad.

I actually collect the less loved relics of the physical media craze: demo disks. Primarily for the reason that many magazines producing them only had small runs in the early 90s. I get the impression in a few decades, finding things like this in good shape is going to get increasingly difficult -- be it older boxes (with their embossed or multi-fold artwork) or the disks themselves.

Sort of makes me sad.

Impressive.

I used to collect them myself few years back, had so much fun.

Used to get monthly demo discs from the digit magazine(from 2001-2007).

Post 2006, everything in it was really crap

Sort of makes me sad.

Impressive.

Yeah i really liked the PCGamer ones had a few from the late 90's for awhile.

Sort of makes me sad.

Impressive.

Yeah i really liked the PCGamer ones had a few from the late 90's for awhile.

I've got most of the 1995 to 2001 run. Anything past that and they start moving to DVDs and other less-care about shit (as the market grew, hundreds of thousands of thousands of the same programs became less interesting).

Similar story for the PlayStation 1 and DreamCast.

And if anyone ever wants to make a fine 25 cents plus shipping, I'm buying. :-|

Box? It would be a good thing to collect dust. 

What about, a poster instead? 

Take a page from http://breakinggifs.com/bg/ I actually bought the Yellow Page poster cause it's awesome.

I'm sure our community can come up with various 'funny' and 'smart' posters... such as "Let's make her more comfortable with a pillow"... or "Don't forget to turn the oven off." something that reminds us of the very beginnings of the game. Maybe the devs can make limited edition posters for the first 1000 buyers of the game? I'm sure they can track it. 

will you guys consider having a retail version of the game when it is finished? because let's face it, digital games sucks monkey balls, don't you just love having a reliable game box in your shelf instead of a file in your computer?

Welcome to 2013

That's what I've been saying.