Flashlight Style Aiming

Jasonface900

I got this idea by thinking of a way to make that if you miss what zombie you were aiming at. So, it'll work by displaying a light triangle that originates out of your gun. The longer you stay still and aim, the thinner the triangle will get. If you miss your main target, the bullet will fly in a random area in the triangle, most likely hitting a random zombie in the horde. This will be easily fix the unrealistic bullet missing the entire horde. (I'll probably flesh out this idea more, as right now I'm using a phone to type this.)

this would break immersion if you could see the cone. i don't know if its what you are thinking of but something like a world of tanks aiming mechanic would be great. the RNG shrinks as you aim and widens back out after you fire or move. increasing your aim skill would make the max RNG smaller resulting in faster aim time and better aiming while moving. 

ps: i can not say if this would make the game any easier or harder, better or worse. this is due to the fact i do not use guns in game atm because i don't play mp and they are too loud.

I agree, even with the aiming skill at zero, EVEN if you're in panic or sick or asleep, is a LOT unrealistic to miss a entire bullet rack facing a zombie at six feet distance. 

I am able to hit a watermelon at these distance despite i'm spanish and we cannot have or store any firearm except for hunting riffles under very close control of the police, but never in any case we can have a pistol or shotgun.

I agree, even with the aiming skill at zero, EVEN if you're in panic or sick or asleep, is a LOT unrealistic to miss a entire bullet rack facing a zombie at six feet distance. 

I am able to hit a watermelon at these distance despite i'm spanish and we cannot have or store any firearm except for hunting riffles under very close control of the police, but never in any case we can have a pistol or shotgun.

They let you keep long range high-caliber rifles, but not short range guns that can do basically the same thing but from closer?

I love america.  I can have as many guns as I want!  :evil:

I think that some sort of indication of who the crap you're aiming at would be super helpful.

I keep accidentally shooting  my buddy when a bandit is the target, and in team vs team its practically impossible not to hit your buddies.

There really needs to be some visual representation or else it's going to feel just as random as it is now.

I like to remind people from time to time that it is still a video game and some things that break immersion can't be avoided, especially something like this that would make the game more fun and is basically the equivalent of the timed action status bar appearing overhead.

They let you keep long range high-caliber rifles, but not short range guns that can do basically the same thing but from closer?

Sort of this... You can have two types of guns: double cannon shotgun (ammo shells) for minor hunting as rabbits, gooses and so, and bullet rifle for major hunt such as wild hog, deer, etc. This guns are strictly controlled and one must pass a psychological test and get a hunting license. No other way to have these guns.

By short firearms, one can have a limited number of guns just only in case of being the owner of a jewelry or private security, etc. It's virtually impossible to be an usual citizen and have a license for pistol.

Sports shooting with bullet must be federated and the weapon must be used only in a shooting range. Otherwise the weapon is confiscated.

Same for crossbow, bows and swords (although you can have anything you want of them).

Finally, the compressed air or CO2 guns are completely legal for adults +18

Military weaponry such as machine guns or assault rifles is in all cases absolutely forbidden and is a major felony to store or use it.

I think that some sort of indication of who the crap you're aiming at would be super helpful.

I keep accidentally shooting  my buddy when a bandit is the target, and in team vs team its practically impossible not to hit your buddies.

Totally agree. Faction wars are senseless carnages right now.

On the fun side, silly situation: i shot a guy, hit a zombie, guy shots at me. Fuck me God.

There really needs to be some visual representation or else it's going to feel just as random as it is now.

I like to remind people from time to time that it is still a video game and some things that break immersion can't be avoided, especially something like this that would make the game more fun and is basically the equivalent of the timed action status bar appearing overhead.

your right this is a game. but it doesn't have to feel like one. i believe someone mentioned it in another post, about making your cross hair a (O) where you are aiming. this can be used to show how wide the cone is. anything inside the (O) can possibly be hit and it slowly or quickly (depending on level) shrinks down to a dot. this system can work for shot guns too, just don't let the O fully shrink for them.

also adding a pin point (.) inside the O would be nice just so people know where they are aiming

your right this is a game. but it doesn't have to feel like one. i believe someone mentioned it in another post, about making your cross hair a (O) where you are aiming. this can be used to show how wide the cone is. anything inside the (O) can possibly be hit and it slowly or quickly (depending on level) shrinks down to a dot. this system can work for shot guns too, just don't let the O fully shrink for them.

also adding a pin point (.) inside the O would be nice just so people know where they are aiming

There is nothing real about any sort of floating aiming reticle which was exactly my point.

I prefer having no reticule a all. I like getting a "feel" for weapons, rather than having visual indicators.

I loathed the changes to the aiming system when they came out, but I've gotten used to it. MP still pisses me off when I catch a bandit off guard and blast him twice with a shotgun and still get smoked by his pistol skills.

I still think there needs to be some sort of visual representation when aiming.

There is nothing real about any sort of floating aiming reticle which was exactly my point.

my point was that a aiming reticle is much beter than a cone. and no its not realistic but niter is a omni point view.

My thought was that when you pull out a gun pressing a certain button on the intended target would make a small triangle appear over them, indicating the intended target.

also if the triangle went from red to green to indicate how charged your shot is it would be really nice.

Sort of this... You can have two types of guns: double cannon shotgun (ammo shells) for minor hunting as rabbits, gooses and so, and bullet rifle for major hunt such as wild hog, deer, etc. This guns are strictly controlled and one must pass a psychological test and get a hunting license. No other way to have these guns.

By short firearms, one can have a limited number of guns just only in case of being the owner of a jewelry or private security, etc. It's virtually impossible to be an usual citizen and have a license for pistol.

Sports shooting with bullet must be federated and the weapon must be used only in a shooting range. Otherwise the weapon is confiscated.

Same for crossbow, bows and swords (although you can have anything you want of them).

Finally, the compressed air or CO2 guns are completely legal for adults +18

Military weaponry such as machine guns or assault rifles is in all cases absolutely forbidden and is a major felony to store or use it.

Totally agree. Faction wars are senseless carnages right now.

On the fun side, silly situation: i shot a guy, hit a zombie, guy shots at me. Fuck me God.

Thanks for the info, we have similar laws for handguns in some areas, and the same ban on military grade automatics.

I'd like a (visible) cone personally but a reticle would be fine too. I think that it definitely needs to be easier to work out where one is aiming. This could be done with a reticle or cone but perhaps bullets could also just be a little more visible. It might not be entirely realistic but if you could see a bright bullet moving through the world it would make it much easier to aim. At the moment the shotgun feels as though I'm firing some kind of sound cannon rather than a firearm.

To be fair, an omniscient aerial view isn't realistic either.

To be fair, an omniscient aerial view isn't realistic either.

Well we cant change from the top view into an fps for a minute. pz cant become an fps.  :-|  anyway its fine how it is or at least its manageable.