Storage box outside in winter=fridge

SomeRandomGuy

So this hit me yesterday after I had some food spoil during winter. Why not have food like meat, soup, stew, etc. stored outside in containers stay preserved during winter? it would essentially be a freezer, grab the food out and heat it with a campfire or stove to thaw it out before eating. No heat source available? Sorry, going to have to wait for spring to thaw it out.

We freeze during winter, so why doesn't our food?

It could be a way to store food to slow spoilage but, It wouldn't quite be the same as the storage crates in game right now. They shouldn't be able to control moisture the same way a refrigerator or properly built root cellar does from a realism perspective because the mechanisms in place for insulation just aren't there with these.

Perhaps a happiness+ boring hit to the food that's been in there for more than a couple days (not necessarily a hunger hit since freeze-thaw cycling would almost assuredly happen)

I got this same idea a few days ago when SpiffoSpace Longterm hit winter and our group wanted to begin farming. I hope a developer sees it, does some research, and considers it, because as of now there's no way to keep food from spoiling AT ALL after the power goes out.

I got this same idea a few days ago when SpiffoSpace Longterm hit winter and our group wanted to begin farming. I hope a developer sees it, does some research, and considers it, because as of now there's no way to keep food from spoiling AT ALL after the power goes out.

there's canning...

but the ingredients to do so are quite rare

there's canning...

but the ingredients to do so are quite rare

I've never heard of canning. Interesting... I'll look into it. What do you need, if you know?

I've never heard of canning. Interesting... I'll look into it. What do you need, if you know?

Jar, jar lid, sugar, and whatever it is you want to can.

But good luck trying considering how rare jar lids are even in a 0 months after the apocalypse game.

But good luck trying considering how rare jar lids are even in a 0 months after the apocalypse game.

I think you need vinegar as well. The components are too rare to make it viable for more than maybe one winter though.

Anyways, such things DO exist, regardless how rare they are. We have lucky thing in our side. I vote to add player canning and this should give points for cooking.  

About winter thing - I think its great idea too. 

The other good thing is making some thing to work like a player-made fridge.  (don't know how its called in english) 

idk even half-effeciency compared to usual fridge is ok

I have lids, jars, and bags of sugar. :)

There are plenty of suggestions for preserving food, and I agree with most of them. I think it's fair that food items suffer the same temperature changes a player would - if left outside during Winter, they cool. If let out during Summer, they rot, quickly.

I'd also love to see Jarring materials become nore common on a '0 months since the apocalypse' game.