Helicopters

GrandPunkRailroad

I see this as a late game capability and don't expect to see it implemented without vehicles. But I see it as a natural extension springing from the introduction of vehicles into the game, and a logical use for the mechanic skill, which I imagine will be needed to fix bicycles and cars once they are in the game.

Because you're going to want a very small percentage of the bikes that you find to work, they'll need repaired first. The same should be true for cars. I imagine the developers will require components like a chain, chain oil, and tires for bicycles to function, and perhaps gas, spark plugs, battery, hoses, and keys to make cars operable. Don't ask me how you might increase your mechanical skill... Some combination of skill books and practical activities probably..  But the way I envision this working is mechanical skill of 2: ability to fix bike, mech skill 4: fix car for electricity generation (lights/radio?), mech skill 6: car drivable, and mech skill 8: fix the helicopter!
There should only be one helicopter. It should be at the army base. It should require a engine for the rotor that is only obtainable in West Point at a garage (is there a garage in West Point?). This engine should be I dunno ~100 pounds and not be transportable in anything but a car trunk.  It should take three full gas cans for one flight, maybe this gas would have to be further refined at a third location, requiring a fuel enrichment manual ('cause WhoTF knows). (I'm going for collectible objective approximating end-game rather than realism here, so go easy) The helicopter should carry 1-3 passengers, beside the pilot. It should control using WASD. Maybe once it goes up it would go to the very top level in the world and only raise and lower straight up-and-down. Could land this on any flat space, roof, etc..
I'm sure this would be difficult to include in the game, but it be nice to have a long-term goal, with many required obtainable components. I just want to be able to fly across the map once, cause it's huge, just for the heck of it!
No chance, right?

Its still an overpowered vehicle. And I really doubt every survivor in the world would be able to use a helicopter  :-|

Then why not make a piloting skill? Also the Helicopter being so hard to obtain would make it fair.

Maybe like 5 should be at the army base or something because otherwise whoever gets this first will have extremely unfair advantages.

The place where PZ is set is under quarantine, if you were to use a helicopter, you would probably just get shot down by the military  anyway.

Maybe like 5 should be at the army base or something because otherwise whoever gets this first will have extremely unfair advantages.

The place where PZ is set is under quarantine, if you were to use a helicopter, you would probably just get shot down by the military  anyway.

In all modes of PZ there is quarantine? I thought it's only in Kate&Baldspot story.

I think there is no reason to have helicopter. You must be pilot to use it and you can't figure it out by yourself. It's just too complicated / complex. It would be overpowered or useless. Not so good idea in my opinion.

On the other hand maybe paraglider could be a thing? I don't know how common are they in USA but in my country it's common thing to see on sky. It's not so complicated to use / fix it.

In all modes of PZ there is quarantine? I thought it's only in Kate&Baldspot story.

I think there is no reason to have helicopter. You must be pilot to use it and you can't figure it out by yourself. It's just too complicated / complex. It would be overpowered or useless. Not so good idea in my opinion.

On the other hand maybe paraglider could be a thing? I don't know how common are they in USA but in my country it's common thing to see on sky. It's not so complicated to use / fix it.

I dont see how you would even use a paraglider, because

1: You can't go up, you can only glide down.

2: To begin using them, You'd need to be higher up, and since there are no mountains or hills, you'd have to use rooftops, to which you have no way to transport the glider to.

Also, it's the same place as the Kate&Baldspot story, so naturally it is under the same circumstances, so yes, it is under quarantine.

Hmm i think i didn't make it clear. By paraglider i mean paraglider with a engine. Something like this:

paraglider.jpg

It doesn't require any hills, mountains etc. It can be used on flat terrain.

It doesn't  need much training/ knowledge but i  think that it's not so necessary to PZ.

Then why don't the Helicopters in the meta game get shot down?

Gustav...........................

the Troll-O-Copters are most likely the actual people who would do the shooting in the first place.

and if not, how do we know they DON'T get shot down somewhere outside our little area?

but the crucial thing to remember here, is they are META GAME events.

Gustav, Gustav, Gustav....................

the Troll-O-Copters are most likely the actual people who would do the shooting in the first place.

and if not, how do we know they DON'T get shot down somewhere outside our little area?

Then why are the Troll-O-Copters following the player instead of patrolling? And if they got shot down then their crash sites should still be locatable even if they didn't crash in your immediate vicinity.

Then why are the Troll-O-Copters following the player instead of patrolling? And if they got shot down then their crash sites should still be locatable even if they didn't crash in your immediate vicinity.

because as a Meta Game event, they are supposed to get the zombies moving towards you.

have you never noticed this? that after a meta game event your general area will have more zombies nearby?

and not that it is relevant in the current game, but why would they have to land in our area of the map? what if it landed in the river, or across the river in Louisville, or somewhere in Indiana?

these are questions with no possible answers, as right now NOTHING in the game gets shot down.

Oh crap, I didn't even think about the story of PZ. We're under quarantine? I just wanted once or twice an alternative method of transport. Something worth building towards. I was really thinking end game.

You don't think after surviving for two years that the rest of the world hasn't fallen to the zombie menace? The military base certainly did..

Or maybe once you flew off the edge of the map, a final screen would pop. Showing a portrait of the survivor, old and gray, behind a massive compound's walls, with children underfoot, and other survivors all around. This is the story of how you died.. This final screen, of course, would be unverifiable on the wiki. A legend, passed on by word-of-mouth, and hinted at by question-marked forum posts.. A rumor, as any possible survivable outcome post-zombie apocalypse should be.

because as a Meta Game event, they are supposed to get the zombies moving towards you.

have you never noticed this? that after a meta game event your general area will have more zombies nearby?

and not that it is relevant in the current game, but why would they have to land in our area of the map? what if it landed in the river, or across the river in Louisville, or somewhere in Indiana?

these are questions with no possible answers, as right now NOTHING in the game gets shot down.

Well if player Helicopters get shot down then those should be.

Well if player Helicopters get shot down then those should be.

Why would the [insert armed forces name here] shoot down the [insert armed forces name here]'s helicopters that are attracting zombies towards the player's location to assist in getting the player killed?

If they're outside the quarantine zone flying over to stir things up a bit for you, then I see no reason why they'd be shoting down their own choppers, since you are the sole focus of their vengeance (this is how you died).

In all seriousness though Gustav, you're just trolling now. You've been around long enough to have seen/read the mondoid posts relating to the meta game, choppers, the GOVERNOR, and getting the player killed.