Pulling/Tearing your leg muscles...

Johnny

Yesterday, I pulled a muscle, because I attempted exercise. Haven't done any in a month, since I'm restricted to just a bed.... Surgery's boring xD .

But this gave me 2 ideas ending in straining your muscles...

1. When your running, and your over stage 2 of exertion... Chances are you could pull a muscle, and that chance increases every exertion stage.

A pulled muscle slows you down and brings pain, so its one you want to avoid...

And for it to heal, you need to rest, it would take a few days to heal, but it slowly gets better, like a fracture. 

2. Not running/walking for a while (Stop living inside! Get outside!) could increase the chances of getting it randomly. Think about it, you haven't done a lot of exercise (Haven't exercised, so thats why I got my strained leg...).

This one could be an annoyance, but it reminds the players that you CAN'T just hold up inside for a period of time... I used to do that, until a heli lured so many to me.... RIP that guy... 

But once again, this wouldn't be a major feature... Just one thats "There". So if it was to hop into the game, I suggest waiting. Build the main mechanics first....

Thats all I have to go on about!!! Thanks!!

Johnny, you don't build a wall around your house then sprint laps around it to build your sprint skill? :P

I think overall physical condition that slowly changes based on whether or not your character is sedentary or active would be a cool feature. It is certainly realistic anyways. If your character is constantly exerting physical effort then they should have better endurance, speed, and strength vs a sedentary character. An 'out of shape' character shouldn't be able to run as far or as fast as a well conditioned character.

With that being said, our characters are never sedentary for very long in game. Maybe for a day or two at max when it is raining or if you were just recently injured. Otherwise you are moving about your safe house, cooking, farming, crafting, possibly cleaning, etc. All of those activities take a good amount of physical exertion and muscle strain IRL (especially farming, sawing logs, crafting with hand tools, etc).

I do like the idea though!

Also, I think there should be a possibility of tripping just to be devoured by a horde. Together with the muscle pulling and tearing slowdown, that'd add up much to the 'kill you early' thing.

That's not a good idea. Tripping is one of those things that should never be suggested yet people keep suggesting it anyway. You don't take control away from the player like that. It's terrible game design.

Also, I think there should be a possibility of tripping just to be devoured by a horde. Together with the muscle pulling and tearing slowdown, that'd add up much to the 'kill you early' thing.

That's not a good idea. Tripping is one of those things that should never be suggested yet people keep suggesting it anyway. You don't take control away from the player like that. It's terrible game design.
Why!? Pretty realistic to me, of course should depend on some factors, just, why? I mean, it could be done for ice only, if you ever slided on ice, you'd know how it's impossible to control...

P.S. or you could pour some oil on the ground and attract a horde so that some unlucky person trips on it ))))

P.P.S. Banana peels :P

I'll repeat. You don't take control away from the player. That is shitty game design. If I survived for a year and killed hundreds of zombies only to die because my character fucking tripped while trying to run away from a horde I'd uninstall PZ from my computer and never play it again. Tripping might be realistic in one circumstance or another but it adds absolutely nothing to the game other than a perfectly legitimate excuse to rage quit.

Okay =( still, I don't think everything should depend on your skills. You don't have to rage if you died accidentally, it's not your fault afterall. I'm not gonna proceed trying to prove a point, just my humble opinion

Edit:

Tripping might be realistic in one circumstance or another but it adds absolutely nothing to the game other than a perfectly legitimate excuse to rage quit.

Kill you early is one of this game's dogmas, that's what they said =/

Tripping really, really is bad game design. Can't be arsed to find the quote, but devs have said publicly that random chance killing out of the hands of the player like this isn't the way they want to kill you. I think it may have even been tripping that was the subject then (it's been a year or three). There's lots of other ways to kill the player that are legitimate, non-cheaty ways to kill the player.

Okay =( still, I don't think everything should depend on your skills. You don't have to rage if you died accidentally, it's not your fault afterall. I'm not gonna proceed trying to prove a point, just my humble opinion

Edit:

Tripping might be realistic in one circumstance or another but it adds absolutely nothing to the game other than a perfectly legitimate excuse to rage quit.

Kill you early is one of this game's dogmas, that's what they said =/

There's a difference. What you're suggesting doesn't actually provide any real challenge. It's just something that pointlessly kills you to force you to restart. It's fake difficulty and it doesn't add anything meaningful beyond frustration and anger.

Tripping really, really is bad game design. Can't be arsed to find the quote, but devs have said publicly that random chance killing out of the hands of the player like this isn't the way they want to kill you. I think it may have even been tripping that was the subject then (it's been a year or three). There's lots of other ways to kill the player that are legitimate, non-cheaty ways to kill the player.

Only quoting because of the "Signature".... Made me laugh a little bit :3 

Just thought.. Maybe there could be different kinds of "Tearing muscles". Maybe like 3 stages? And the last one would make you collapse.... IDK? Hehe, just adding to the chat.

I'll repeat. You don't take control away from the player. That is shitty game design. If I survived for a year and killed hundreds of zombies only to die because my character fucking tripped while trying to run away from a horde I'd uninstall PZ from my computer and never play it again. Tripping might be realistic in one circumstance or another but it adds absolutely nothing to the game other than a perfectly legitimate excuse to rage quit.

This.

I am 100% against any sort of 'random' injury or misfortune that happens without a player's input. I would rage quit the game and flip the #$!& out.

I suppose I would not be against slipping or tripping if it only happened on certain tiles, like icy ones, or trying to hop a fence while over-burdened. That way if a player doesn't want to slip or trip, they can choose not to walk on the ice or hop that fence over-burdened. This way it is the player's fault for choosing a risky action that led to their death. The risk just might be worth the reward in certain circumstances (A horde behind you and a sheet of ice ahead of you. Damned if you do and damned if you don't, so might as well give it a go). Not a BS random % though. It is realistic to slip on ice, but realistically I could avoid the situation all together by not walking on it.

Also, whatever risk we have of tripping/slipping, whatever, should be applied to the zombies as well. I would argue to an even higher level. I would imagine that a zombie would more likely slip and fall on ice than I would.

However, if it was a random % chance of happening on all tiles, #$&! that, I'd be done with the game and I would be immensely disappointed in TIS.

For these reasons I am also against random injuries from crafting, cooking, farming, etc. I am not against being injured from doing them, but only if it is caused from working in unsafe conditions (wet, dark, etc) or in a bad physical state (stressed, exhausted, over-burdened, etc).

Taking control away from the player and disregarding their choices is an absolute 100% bad idea in game design.

I have not fallen down randomly from walking/running in RL in as long as I can remember because I generally don't make stupid choices. The last time I fell down IRL (which I laughed hysterically from) it was from walking down a wet flight of stairs in the dark. Which, was just not a good idea and my fault for attempting. Thankfully I only got a bruised ass.