This War of Mine

Gammlernoob

Hey there community,

The game "This War of mine" just got released on steam ( 2-3 days ago) and in my opinion you should really try it!

You play as a group of survivors during the siege of Sarajevo in the war of 1992 ( I fogot its name)
During daylight you build your base ( because sharpshooters shoot everyone on the streets during daylight, sometimes even during night) and at night you scavange.

The crafting is very deep and group managing as well as the whole gameplay is really interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BALBUyoTxQM

• 2 weeks later...

Great game thus far, especially when on scavenging runs. Comedic is not really the tone this game is going for, more like gripping and suspenseful as your fragile group clings to life amidst the horrors of war, but it also has an overarching mood of despair.

Put about 15 hours trying to min-max in it. I'd call it a decent Flash game, even if it's not technically in Flash: it has that same weird economy of gameplay found in games like Rebuild 2 or Sheltered Colony (http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/549697). There's very little excess. (canned food, raw food, vegetables. End of Line.)

It's all rather minimal, and replays don't provide much variety (there are three or four  different sets of characters you can start with, only one separate set of locations, and the only other randomized factor is the weather).

What I do like about it though is that it makes you feel bad about stealing and killing; characters update their journals giving support or disprovable to the thief or murderer, but it's often just limited to a sentence. NPC interaction is also pretty OK: they'll cry for help, search for thieves (without being automatically triggered just by the act of stealing), and generally seem to live in their areas the same way as the player.

I'd stuff it into a "Must Buy" if it were an early access game and the chances to add quite a bit more content and complexity were higher. But looking at their Steam discussion group and some quick googling of the game, this doesn't seem to be the case.

Apparently only 11% of the players have survived the war, I myself am on day 14. It gets pretty tricky though, especially when you factor in setting up guard and making sure you have enough food. Similar to Zomboid, you have to think twice about going in guns blazing.

Great game thus far, especially when on scavenging runs. Comedic is not really the tone this game is going for, more like gripping and suspenseful as your fragile group clings to life amidst the horrors of war, but it also has an overarching mood of despair.

It does not have to have a comedic aim for my friends to make it into a comedy. Everything is a comedy when I play it with my friends, that is why it is so much fun playing games with my friends. It sounds like a cool game by itself, but I do not think I would enjoy it for long enough before loosing interest.

Right, I'm just saying it'd be pretty tough to tease any comedic material from the game considering the tone of it. Alas, it's a single player game so this is a moot point.

Apparently only 11% of the players have survived the war, I myself am on day 14. It gets pretty tricky though, especially when you factor in setting up guard and making sure you have enough food. Similar to Zomboid, you have to think twice about going in guns blazing.

TIps:

Spoiler

Build two beds immediately and have two people on guard at night. Make them sleep in the morning, then cycle them out with your scavenger.

If you have the garage, trade bandages for food. If you have the church,  trade wood for food. If you have sniper junction . . . was too lazy to bother, but I'm told they absolutely love bullets and cigarettes (to the point of breaking the game). The traveling salesman is also a decent bringer of deliciouses. Just give him booze.

You should find a good few vegetables in the starting area. Always prepare food with vegetables, else you'll burn through it quickly.

Get to workbench level II and build traps as soon as possible. These will provide 2 pieces of food every three days. Use fertilizer as the bait.*

It won't be until day 14 (rash of crime) with two guards that you'll really have to consider barricades. Even then, they generally don't manage to take anything . . . A semi-cheat is to keep one active container in your safehouse (don't loot it entirely) and store your valuables there. Attackers won't be able to take these items.

*My preferred method is to run two rain collectors and still, then move onto rat traps; trying to rush a vegetable garden right now (almost everything necessary on day 4), but it's at the cost of industry . . .

Though your characters may like cigarettes and coffee, ignore this early on. They'll be fine for a few weeks without their little helpers.

Honestly, I found this game struck a really nice chord with me. I've only played about 7-8 hours but damn, they were some really heartbreaking hours. I began with some knowledge on the game and ended up making in 29 days on my first try. I don't know if it was luck or skill but I was really proud. But like Project Zomboid: if you die, it's your own fault. Even better is that when all of my characters died, I didn't quit the game and not play it again, I went back and tried again to do better. It's also interesting that you can try so many different things on each run. For example, on my first run I decided that I would start dealing in weapons and cigarettes to get food and meds. Like I said earlier though, it's your own fault if you die. I have had some bullshit deaths but most of them come from tryng to help people, accidentally stealing and wandering into areas deemed "private".  But if you are hesitant to buy it I will only recommend it if you are patient, like management games and survival games. Seriously great game.

EDIT: I'm sorry if my words are all over the place. Got a bit excited. 

Hey there community,

The game "This War of mine" just got released on steam ( 2-3 days ago) and in my opinion you should really try it!

You play as a group of survivors during the siege of Sarajevo in the war of 1992 ( I fogot its name)

During daylight you build your base ( because sharpshooters shoot everyone on the streets during daylight, sometimes even during night) and at night you scavange.

The crafting is very deep and group managing as well as the whole gameplay is really interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BALBUyoTxQM

The Feels of the game though..

I killed everyone and then killed myself.