Foraging Findings

Moose65

Small update, added in weights for everything, days till berries are useless, and a start on how lethal poison berries are (need to figure out a proper way to present the poison formula for cooking though since its a bit confusing in the old cooking thread).

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I like the idea of foraging but its annoying that each square counts as a container so berries are finite.

Hopefully, a future update will enable them to grow back.

Not sure what your talking about. Berries are infinite. The only restriction is that you can only forage so many times within X area, (not sure exactly what X is yet) forcing you to either

A) move to a new location X tiles away from your previous foragings

B) wait X amount of time for it to "refresh" (exact time unknown, but its less than 24 hours if I recall).

I like the idea of foraging but its annoying that each square counts as a container so berries are finite.

Hopefully, a future update will enable them to grow back.

Not sure what your talking about. Berries are infinite. The only restriction is that you can only forage so many times within X area, (not sure exactly what X is yet) forcing you to either

A) move to a new location X tiles away from your previous foragings

B) wait X amount of time for it to "refresh" (exact time unknown, but its less than 24 hours if I recall).

That's the thing.

If it can only refresh so many times, there is a finite amount.

That's the thing.

99.99999999% sure that this is incorrect, as I have foraged in the same locations for months and have NEVER seen it run out. Before sandbox came out I leveled from 0 to 5 in the same general area near the cabin in Westpoint and never ran out of berries.

You must be trying to forage before the "refresh" period is over.

Edit: Also, if your foraging during the winter, you will find NO food items, so that may be the issue your running into.

That's the thing.

99.99999999% sure that this is incorrect, as I have foraged in the same locations for months and have NEVER seen it run out. Before sandbox came out I leveled from 0 to 5 in the same general area near the cabin in Westpoint and never ran out of berries.

You must be trying to forage before the "refresh" period is over.

Edit: Also, if your foraging during the winter, you will find NO food items, so that may be the issue your running into.

Maybe I am wrong about the refreshing thing. But from my experience, foraging spots do not respawn but I'll probably test this out over one long save file.

I've actually managed to find food during the winter, just much less quantities of it compared to summer or fall.

Maybe I am wrong about the refreshing thing. But from my experience, foraging spots do not respawn but I'll probably test this out over one long save file.

I've actually managed to find food during the winter, just much less quantities of it compared to summer or fall.

If your finding food while foraging from November to February, then that is a bug. I haven't loaded up my save in awhile, so unless your playing on an older version or a recent patch introduced the bug then that shouldn't be possible.

• 1 month later...

Updated for build 31, new additons

Profession and trait section added.

10 levels VS the previous 5 levels.

Foraging definitely needs some work, there are a LOT of empty levels now (1, 3, 5, 7, 9, and 10 currently have no new items assigned to them). Also, Fast Learner seems broken.

Park Ranger and Hiker stacking are probably not intended, but its a good way to get a bonus to leveling this skill.

Edit: Appropriately tagged new changes as (IWBUMS Only).

Yay I link this thread around as a direct guide to foraging, you should make more.

I wouldn't mind doing that but..........some info is pretty obscure. For example, I still don't have a straight up formula for how poison works, let alone how exactly trapping and fishing works. It's something I may consider though. Right now I think skills are gonna get a big overhaul soon.......there is WAY too much dead space when leveling skills now (specifically carpentry and foraging).

If I could get a server admin to help me I could better test poisons.

That's the problem too. Right now some Skill sets simply don't work right at all. Cooking is a prime example, as it has so many broken mechanics its not even funny. Spices don't work at all, you make less satisfying meals as you become more skilled, etc etc. To make a guide for something like that (where poisons may not even be functioning right) would be a headache until its revisited and touched up.

• 4 weeks later...