Falling

DaFatCookie

While it is realistic that a person would sometimes trip, it really doesn't happen all that often - in fact it's exceedingly rare unless the person in question is exceptionally clumsy.  A better mechanic for this IMO is the current 'exhaustion' mechanic.  Perhaps at some point they can revisit the issue and impose even more severe movement penalties if you continue to run while exhausted; at some point you could even be reduced to 'crawling' speed which, if you are surrounded by zombies, would mean certain death...but I'm not sure making someone actually fall over is the way to go.

As an edit, since this post appeared after Viceroy's....I'd have to agree with his point about walking backwards, though.  That does result in people stumbling quite often, particularly when they are doing it under stress.

Taking away control from the player isn't really a good thing. Even if the RNGod puts a shit ton of zombies around them, it's still up to them to get out of that situation. If they trip randomly then they are having the control to deal with a situation taken away from them. It'd be good as a mod, but not a fun feature for the main game. Plus it's been suggested tons.

I don't think you should fall just by running or walking backwars. I'm not very agile, but I haven't fell while running in years and I can walk backwards without falling even if the floor isn't flat. I think if you fall while walking or running (forward or backward), there must be something that makes you fall... and if you fall, zombies should fall too (as they are more clumsy).

I would love to point out that this has been brought up dozens of times now, and the response you will get that tend to swing favor, is that it takes out of the players control, which is what PZ aims not to do.

I can run backwards very easily, or accross ice and not trip, So I will not have my PZ character fumble around like a goon when the game dictates.

Yeah, taking control from the player is kinda a dick move in a game like PZ - Screw up once, and you get a nice bite on your crotch.

Tripping/stumbling/falling would be nice to have, but only under certain circumstances, such as the ground being really tangled up, or the player having suffered damage to their legs (Which would mean we'd have a legitimate excuse to use crutches :P). I dunno. I think I brought up the idea of a gravely hillside in a similar topic. A player would know to move slowly through the area, planting each step carefully, but the zombies wouldn't. They'd flop and skid and slide all over the place, just like the player would if they attempted to sprint up or down the slope. This, in turn, would make certain pieces of terrain good for loosing/killing zombies.

Remember the Zombie Survival Guide? Some Canadian reporters hole up in a house for several days. They didn't have the time to destroy the staircase, so they nailed a door over it to form a ramp. With a person constantly pushing zombies with a broom, they simply couldn't stay on-balance long enough to climb up.

Of course, to have any sort of tripping/falling mechanic be ideal, you'd have to be able to overbalance, not-quite-fall-over and correct yourself. Think almost falling over and windmilling your arms to avoid eating the pavement. There would have to be some form of warning that you're about to, or could possibly, fall/trip over, with the actual fall/trip being a 'critical failure' in other words. Hope that makes sense.

I think it a good idea if your character was realy tired or realy panicked  maybe. But I have to also agree with those who point out that RNG gods will get you. I played would have tanks for 3 years and RNG was realy bad some times in that game. I hate to see you trip just do to the RNG in a game you had going for a month or two. Hell do to my heath I walk or run a hour every day and in 6 years I have never tripped. All be it I was not being chased by zombies before. But taking control away from players in a game just not fun. I do not mind a realistic game. But game is the key word in there. games to me need to be fun to.

Now I can say this I would not mind if they made it a option that you can chose to set. This way it let the play chose how realistic the game will be for them.

I agree that that tripping should be a problem when walking backwards over corpses. If it only happens when you walk over a corpse (and of course, not every time) then it would be the players own fault, and actually add some more tension to the already easy melee system.