Possible Erosion Features

Strang

As erosion intergration is going to happen, I shall compile a list of features that I believe should come with this.

Billboards collapsing on the street

Ponds forming over time

The river overflowing its banks and getting bigger

Bookshelf's, fridges and drawers falling over

Unkept houses eventually collapsing

Doorways collapsing

Holes opening in degrading buildings

Power lines falling over ( lines could still be active when power is on)

Trees falling over in storms

Water lines freezing and bursting in the winter

Player/ pre fab built structures degrading if unkept

Collapsing stairs/ floors in old homes

If some of these are already in the erosion mod, please forgive me

I like the collapsing household items.  Collapsing perhaps when you use them could be interesting, such as trying to get up to a second story and falling through the stair and hurting your back.  That might also make rope and ladders more useful for exploring.

i cannot quite understand why you think ponds should be forming NOW when they were not forming prior to the mod. or why you think the Erosion mod would make the Ohio River, or it's tributaries, suddenly gain massive amounts of water and overflow their banks. it's simply not a logical assumption.

please, explain this for me if you would.

i cannot quite understand why you think ponds should be forming NOW when they were not forming prior to the mod. or why you think the Erosion mod would make the Ohio River, or it's tributaries, suddenly gain massive amounts of water and overflow their banks. it's simply not a logical assumption.

Yeh, rivers do overflow during storms and such but they almost always retreat. Only forming new channels when they overflow constantly over the same area. 

Ponds on the other hand are a bit odd. Maybe if a large ditch was dug then it would make sense. Otherwise there is no logic for random ponds to start forming because civilization has collapsed. We have little say as to where our natural ponds are formed. Puddles maybe, but not ponds.

Now that's something that would be nice for the implementation of the erosion mods, puddles. And with possibly soaking you more and making noise when you step over them xD.

Well there is a pretty easy answer for that. Currently we use storm water drains and sewers to move water out of urban areas. They require constant maintence to keep movong that water. Once they choke up, then water would be pooling where it falls more.

For easy examples just look at the many places that humans now inhabit they originally was a swamp/marsh, and the content upkeep required to prevent it returning to one.

Yeh, rivers do overflow during storms and such but they almost always retreat. Only forming new channels when they overflow constantly over the same area. 

Ponds on the other hand are a bit odd. Maybe if a large ditch was dug then it would make sense. Otherwise there is no logic for random ponds to start forming because civilization has collapsed. We have little say as to where our natural ponds are formed. Puddles maybe, but not ponds.

Now that's something that would be nice for the implementation of the erosion mods, puddles. And with possibly soaking you more and making noise when you step over them xD.

yeah, i'm aware of storms making a river overflow. but the Erosion mod does not make a storm that large in the game. in truth, that would almost need to be a Hurricane/Monsoon size storm to bring in that much water. the Ohio River is already a good sized river, it would take a LOT of water to truly affect its level, and a LOT more to make it raise that high and stay that high long enough to actually erode the banks.

the average rainfall of nearby Louisville is 45 inches of water. per YEAR. http://average-rainfall.findthebest.com/l/107/Louisville-Kentucky

Well there is a pretty easy answer for that. Currently we use storm water drains and sewers to move water out of urban areas. They require constant maintence to keep movong that water. Once they choke up, then water would be pooling where it falls more.

For easy examples just look at the many places that humans now inhabit they originally was a swamp/marsh, and the content upkeep required to prevent it returning to one.

again, the sheer amount of water necessary for this is simply not there.

yeah, i'm aware of storms making a river overflow. but the Erosion mod does not make a storm that large in the game. in truth, that would almost need to be a Hurricane/Monsoon size storm to bring in that much water. the Ohio River is already a good sized river, it would take a LOT of water to truly affect its level, and a LOT more to make it raise that high and stay that high long enough to actually erode the banks.

the average rainfall of nearby Louisville is 45 inches of water. per YEAR. http://average-rainfall.findthebest.com/l/107/Louisville-Kentucky

Slow down there Cowboy! I was mainly directing my message towards the OP, appending yours. And also just talking in general, not specific to Knox county.

Possibly for the sake of gameplay speed the erosion up so it will start happening, say 3 to 5 months into the game, and then the effects will start getting worse, hell you could even add am option in sandbox mode to adjust when erosion will begin. As for the river overflowing, say after x amount of months the bridge that connects West Point to the mall area collapses. Gradually trees, cars. Boats ect begin to collect on the destroyed bridge and begin to block the river flow. Eventually the block will get so large that the river overflows it's banks. I'm not saying it should become the Kentucky Great Lake, just an increase in size overtime. As for the ponds forming, after a while the sewers will get backed up, the water will have no place to go so it will just collect in lower lying areas, such as streets

This brings us to the big main question: Do the devs want to enable some sort of perma survival activities and so the craft, some access to half buried buildings and maybe regenerating loot OR they want it to be a limited time survival challenge where eventually there'll be nothing to do but to drink bleach like a complete Naruto?