Several layers of clothing should protect against a zombie bite

Unamelable

Pumped up tailoring to level 10, have 3 layers of clothing, 69% bite defense. The zombie bites through all 3 layers of clothing and I end up with a bite. Need I say that human teeth physically can not bite through 3 layers of clothing, and even in leather patches.

Tailoring should be buffed, or at least exclude the possibility of a bite when the character has several layers of clothing. Or redesign tailoring so that it does not seem useless in terms of defense. Because it's completely unfair, and I refuse to lose a character for such a stupid convention.

Screenshot_3.png

Edited by Unamelable

1 hour ago, EnigmaGrey said:

Realism aside, the game tells you ~1/3 bites is likely to get through. So is it surprising that one got through?

I don't know where this is going, because I described the damn thing above. If I was bitten through the gloves, in the neck. I can still understand that, but through 3 layers of clothing with patches, that's crossing the line.

OP is right, it should be impossible to get bitten through prime condition armored clothing, especially if I spam shove to counter a zombie grab, or if I was moving before I was grabbed.

There should be clothing that allows one to survive dragdowns and be unbitten long enough for zombies to lose interest and walk away, but all clothing should be heavily counterbalanced by its weight, encumberance, and risk of dying from heatstroke. It should be impossible to use anything but guns in some clothing. Armor should be inconvenient to wear for everyday use and downright fatal to wear if too heavy in the wrong situation. Perhaps heavy clothing also compounds equip time and item transfer time. These are sure ways to balance body condom armor.

I do want to see some more clothing;

• Welding gloves
  • Welding balaclava (Much more durable material than standard balaclavas, often leather or very heavy cotton)
  • Nylon Poncho
  • Disposable Poncho
  • Leather gauntlets (Crafted)
  • Leather apron
  • Razorwire gloves (Worn by us military when working with razorwire)
  • Leatherneck (Crafted, earned US marines this nickname as they wore leather collars in the age of sail and sword)

2 hours ago, Badgzerz said:

OP is right, it should be impossible to get bitten through prime condition armored clothing, especially if I spam shove to counter a zombie grab, or if I was moving before I was grabbed.

There should be clothing that allows one to survive dragdowns and be unbitten long enough for zombies to lose interest and walk away, but all clothing should be heavily counterbalanced by its weight, encumberance, and risk of dying from heatstroke. It should be impossible to use anything but guns in some clothing. Armor should be inconvenient to wear for everyday use and downright fatal to wear if too heavy in the wrong situation. Perhaps heavy clothing also compounds equip time and item transfer time. These are sure ways to balance body condom armor.

I do want to see some more clothing;

• Welding gloves
  • Welding balaclava (Much more durable material than standard balaclavas, often leather or very heavy cotton)
  • Nylon Poncho
  • Disposable Poncho
  • Leather gauntlets (Crafted)
  • Leather apron
  • Razorwire gloves (Worn by us military when working with razorwire)
  • Leatherneck (Crafted, earned US marines this nickname as they wore leather collars in the age of sail and sword)

Sure, am ultimately fine with that, but I do think this needs to be understood:

Say I give myself a shirt and a jacket that both have 100% protection. I can get bit twice in the upper right arm without it breaking through the skin because it offers complete protection. If I wear two things that only give me 70% protection, there's a 30% chance that each of those two bites will penetrate.

If you expect otherwise, you're going to have a very bad time, regardless of how it should be.

I think layering should add a bonus to protection... so let's say I wear only a denimshirt it gives 7%, if I wear a leather jacket over it it adds the 30% from the jacket PLUS let's say 10% for "one extra layer". I know that's not exactly what the OP is talking about but I also think that the protection from clothing is rather low.

also there should be no clothing (aside from underwear) adding nothing since wearing a simple tshirt could with a little luck maybe protect me from a scratch at least... 

17 hours ago, EnigmaGrey said:

Say I give myself a shirt and a jacket that both have 100% protection. I can get bit twice in the upper right arm without it breaking through the skin because it offers complete protection. If I wear two things that only give me 70% protection, there's a 30% chance that each of those two bites will penetrate.

If you expect otherwise, you're going to have a very bad time, regardless of how it should be.

I don't think a bite should be able to make it through all layers of clothing at once.

It should have to progressively make it through the clothing each time a successful penetration is done if the same area is bitten multiple times to the point it finally makes it to the skin. Like if you have 2 things with 70% protection the bite should have to penetrate the first thing with the 30% chance before it gets to the other clothing which also has 70% protection and starts working on dealing with the stats of that.

Basically a zombie should only be able to bite through one layer of clothing at a time in the same area to start whittling the protection down. So under layers of clothing wouldn't be touchable at all until the directly above layer gets damaged.

Like if I got a fire fighter jacket, a zombie bites the chest and it manages to make it through with a hole but I'm wearing a sweater underneath it so while the firefighter jacket is done for in that one area the sweater is okay. Not too bad.

Okay a zombie manages to bite the same area and it goes through my sweater but luckily I'm wearing a over shirt underneath it. The sweater is done for in the same area but not the over shirt I'm wearing underneath it. So far still so good.

Similar thing happens to my over shirt, but the shirt underneath is okay. Getting a bit more concerned though since my intact clothing is starting to get whittled down.

Similar thing happens to the shirt but I'm wearing an intact undershirt, but now I'm really concerned since it's my last layer of clothing in that area.

I'm really on edge that I'm one penetration away from a bite but LUCKILY I've happened to get bites on other parts of my partial intact various layers of clothing some bites whittling down my clothing more than others.

BUT finally, after all the fighting THE WORSE HAPPENS: Two areas of my clothing are whittled down to the undershirt and I get bit on one of them. Which one? Well it kind of doesn't matter since they're both bites (though some parts can get bitten more than others and you do place different priorities on what to protect) but anyways it's the same chest area. 

So now I got a zombie bite on my chest and even if amputation could save someone from a bite, you can't amputate a chest only limbs.

To wrap this up, your layers of clothing would really matter in this case because if one area of one clothing goes down you still got the other clothing as well as areas of the damaged clothing that didn't get bit. Rather than getting a layer of clothing bit which means all of others could get bit with means you could have a bite even with all the layers.

Honestly I want to weigh the risks before even trying to take on zombies, I dont want to be a zombie killing machine with no punishment if that makes any sense. Wouldn't it be a tad over powered if we could just layer on multiple layers without any downside? I want to be able to find a fire fighter outfit and enjoy it but still have to be careful.  

In terms of theory crafting i dont know if zombies are in our universe so three's no telling how or why  they have death daggers for teeth, maybe they ate so many people that the bones sharpened their teeth lol. 

Then tailoring has absolutely no thought in the standard game. Ultimates like firefighter outfit cannot be modified with patches. And if you want to make 100% protection, you won't get it. Because in the base game you're more likely to get heatstroke, which is a punishment for the player shrouding his character too much. That is, the initial game design already has a limit on what you can and cannot wear.

Then I see absolutely no point in level-up tailoring, just because I didn't win the dice game.

I personally came to the game as a sandbox, and dying this way is frustrating to say the least. If the difficulty of the game is just to roll dice or become a cyborg that will be ready for absolutely any eventuality, then surprise. It's not goddamn fun! BUT - In Project Zomboid canon, it fits in perfectly. It's the story of how you died.

But if the developers want to stick to that canon, then why add plans for long term survival? Like the community has a handful of people who have survived over 300 days in Project Zomboid without getting bitten (Legally) without mods or disabling virus transfer settings?

I as a person can't go over 100 days without making some stupid mistake, or game bug because it really isn't polished. But that's what I enjoy about it.

With very few exceptions (e.g. the open car door visual bug) taking damage from a zombie is a skill issue.  The people that can survive for over a year aren't lucky, they're just good at the game.  Armour helps to protect you from damage, but its not going to save you if you keep making mistakes - and it may even hinder you as it can make you overheat.

2 hours ago, Hugo Qwerty said:

With very few exceptions (e.g. the open car door visual bug) taking damage from a zombie is a skill issue.  The people that can survive for over a year aren't lucky, they're just good at the game.  Armour helps to protect you from damage, but its not going to save you if you keep making mistakes - and it may even hinder you as it can make you overheat.

In general in this game it's easy enough to poke and say "skill issue" I only recently learned that spears are just a terrible but effective weapon. Because the character sometimes stops for a second or two to make insta-kill. I've already lost about 3 characters purely because of this delay and now I see no point in using anything but axes or machetes.

And the interesting thing is that spears are trap weapons despite their effectiveness they are very vulnerable.

And I guess I've found the perfect game for me because it's something to be skilled at. And this status can achieve not every game, even the most favorite and popular. Like Left 4 Dead.

2 hours ago, Hugo Qwerty said:

I dunno i have like 3k hours and the longest i have lived is maybe a month lol, i think assuming that everyone is a pro at the game is silly. Going to have a wide range of skill regardless how long you have been playing the game. 

25 minutes ago, Unamelable said:

In general in this game it's easy enough to poke and say "skill issue" I only recently learned that spears are just a terrible but effective weapon. Because the character sometimes stops for a second or two to make insta-kill. I've already lost about 3 characters purely because of this delay and now I see no point in using anything but axes or machetes.

And the interesting thing is that spears are trap weapons despite their effectiveness they are very vulnerable.

And I guess I've found the perfect game for me because it's something to be skilled at. And this status can achieve not every game, even the most favorite and popular. Like Left 4 Dead.

LOL.  Spears are without doubt he best weapon in the game at killing large numbers of zombies.  Yes, if you don't have enough experience they can absolutely get you killed - but when you know when to use them, and more importantly when not to, then they become so OP they are basically broken (given how easy they are to make, and how often zombies provide the weapons to make them with).

53 minutes ago, Hugo Qwerty said:

LOL.  Spears are without doubt he best weapon in the game at killing large numbers of zombies.  Yes, if you don't have enough experience they can absolutely get you killed - but when you know when to use them, and more importantly when not to, then they become so OP they are basically broken (given how easy they are to make, and how often zombies provide the weapons to make them with).

I play on the main save and for about 60 game days I find only cleavers, if you also add the fact that in louisville there is a kitchenware factory with a lot of knives. Then yeah, they're the best. Although I still prefer brain dead fights because I don't really want to do micro managment in the middle of the game.

7 hours ago, puppers said:

I dunno i have like 3k hours and the longest i have lived is maybe a month lol, i think assuming that everyone is a pro at the game is silly. Going to have a wide range of skill regardless how long you have been playing the game. 

Hmmm I guess that tells you that you maybe should rethink your playstyle ;) Or just love it and keep going if that month living and then dying is worth it \o/

After all with 3k hours in I think you understand the mechanics and how to circumvent the risks... you just decided to do something else (because it's more fun *g)

But back to topic, I oppose the idea of layers behaving like "deflector shields" that need to be overcome one by one... not because it's unrealistic or wrong but because it would pretty op.

On 11/24/2023 at 5:15 PM, EnigmaGrey said:

Yes I understand that part and expect the 30% bite, but disagree with it.