An attempt at zomboid coexistance

thiosk

I have an MO. I tend to survive for months with every character, and generally die not to horde activity, but to a freak scratch by a lone zombie or crawler. 

I tend to use a policy of neighborhood-by-neighborhood clearing where I systematically move through and eliminate the zeds to create effective exclusion zones around my central safehouse, then install additional houses to extend those zones. I patrol the safe areas weekly and set up walls to funnel and to manipulate any horde activity the metagame does bring over.  

However, its a little boring, especially when the inevitable scratch ends that hard work. So, I've got a new paradigm I'm going to be testing for a new game. Coexistance!

I rolled a new character and spawned in this neighborhood. Being on the ritzy side of town, its largely devoid of zomboid, just a few wanderers show up periodically. http://pzmap.crash-override.net/#0.49609731339571095,0.223463277106978,38.33759992447473 I wasn't feeling like clearing, and wanted to start working on fortifications and carpentry right away. I snuck through two infested neighborhoods and dodged around the church, and got into the warehouse. I had to kill about 15 zombies to make safe entry. While they were banging on the doors and windows, I looted a sledge, an axe, a trowel, some nails, and a shotgun. With all the other items I've got, I am now at day 8 fully prepared for long term living, requiring functionally only ammunition, nails, and a few of the boutique items.

I intend to clear and fortify my local neighborhood, but am not going to systematically clean up the town. I'll battle the occasional horde that forms, and try to manipulate groupings of zombies with gunshot guidance, but the days of patrolling and bashing every zombie in town are over. I will raid and scavange without total elimination. I may even try to localize groups and wall the zombies IN, rather than wall them OUT. Rather than attempting to maximize my zombies killed (I killed about 1000 on my last charachter and turned parts of muldraugh into a park) I'm going to generally minimize killed zomboids.

I wanted to post this here to see if I could get some discussion going about how such coexistance living, whether you've tried it, or if extermination is the only viable option. Cheers!

I actually live there I've got 3 sides of that neighbourhood covered and I've looted a lot of buildings surrounding it and I've been to McCoy's Logging Corp and Warehouses outside of town and other storage/warehouse facilities. Nails are extremely rare(I've had 600+ of them, but I spent them all on walls).

Some info about my safehouse. It's the south-west house in the neighbourhood. It's barricaded to the max, I keep water/food/bags/kitchen stuff in the kitchen. In the living room I've got literature and skill books. In the downstairs bathroom I keep farming stuff(seeds, spade, trowel). Upstairs in the kids bedroom I keep some planks, in the main bedroom I keep weapons(I've got tons of weapons), clothes and an ammunition crate. In the little storage room I keep building stuff and other stuff. The bathroom upstairs is my medical center, I keep all my medicine there and some bathroom stuff. Outside I keep a Tomato Farm(best perishable that you can grow) and the water collectors.

I've killed tons of zombies, I've survived for 2 months so far. I've started out in the winter to make things a bit more challenging.

The neighbourhood is peaceful because I've cleared out the area. Also, my save is called "serious_survival" and I tend to survive as long as I can. So far it's promising that I'll survive long enough.

i generally kill about half the zombies in an area then get bit...... so i don't think it really matters which 1 you choose as long as you don't get bit  (tophat)   

You gotta be careful man, don't run into 5 zombies and expect them just to hug you.

That's how the game kills you - since you lived for a long time and killed a lot of zeds, you start thinking that you're invincible, get cocky, make mistakes, where one of them is deadly. Same thing happens to me as well.

I hadn't thought about leveling up. I'm one skill up in blunt already, but I hope to focus as much on sneaking and light footedness in this venture as hardcore murder!

I'll still have to kill a bunch of zeds-- its just not reasonable not to kill ANY, i'm just not going on specific kill jaunts with the frequency and military consistency I'd used previously.

if You consider zeds and hordes not being much of a challange, maybe tune up zed ammount to high/insane?

Oh boy, 50+ zeds around auto shop in West Point are pretty entertaining.

insane zombie population

superhuman strength

sprinters

do it OP

Everything was going great until I snuck into a set of storage units. I juked around a group of Zeds, hopped the fense, and got in. Opened the door, hammer at the ready, and bang! Four zomboids pour out. They bit me right on the tits. I was so pissed. Second time that's happened in that building.

However...

No infection.

Bam. I've got a good chunk of fort and have started finishing the neighborhood fensing in pursuit of a megafort encompassing the entire neighborhood. Need more nails. Need em bad. How to get through the zombies to raid the large warehouse...

I think the "survive as long as you can without risking much" route is just plain boring.

But thats just me. :P

I always found playing a Nomadic lifestyle coupled with nastier-than-average zombies to be really fun. The "see how long you can survive in a danger zone" route.

if You consider zeds and hordes not being much of a challange, maybe tune up zed ammount to high/insane?

Oh boy, 50+ zeds around auto shop in West Point are pretty entertaining.

insane zombie population

superhuman strength

sprinters

do it OP

YES

I think the "survive as long as you can without risking much" route is just plain boring.

But thats just me. :P

I always found playing a Nomadic lifestyle coupled with nastier-than-average zombies to be really fun. The "see how long you can survive in a danger zone" route.

I can understand that this is something thrilling too.

But as far as some farmers here go. Couldnt stand that playstyle. :)

Have to agree though, its pretty hard when you did a lot of killing and almost cleared a whole village, just to die to an unlucky event.

Had a lot of WP cleared with 4,5k kills, set up 10 safe houses, and now died to an unlucky bite.

Thats just the way hardcore games roll.

I actually live there I've got 3 sides of that neighbourhood covered and I've looted a lot of buildings surrounding it and I've been to McCoy's Logging Corp and Warehouses outside of town and other storage/warehouse facilities. Nails are extremely rare(I've had 600+ of them, but I spent them all on walls).

Some info about my safehouse. It's the south-west house in the neighbourhood. It's barricaded to the max, I keep water/food/bags/kitchen stuff in the kitchen. In the living room I've got literature and skill books. In the downstairs bathroom I keep farming stuff(seeds, spade, trowel). Upstairs in the kids bedroom I keep some planks, in the main bedroom I keep weapons(I've got tons of weapons), clothes and an ammunition crate. In the little storage room I keep building stuff and other stuff. The bathroom upstairs is my medical center, I keep all my medicine there and some bathroom stuff. Outside I keep a Tomato Farm(best perishable that you can grow) and the water collectors.

I've killed tons of zombies, I've survived for 2 months so far. I've started out in the winter to make things a bit more challenging.

The neighbourhood is peaceful because I've cleared out the area. Also, my save is called "serious_survival" and I tend to survive as long as I can. So far it's promising that I'll survive long enough.

I personally LOL'd at how much of a topic hijack this very first reply was. The first four words of the first sentence relate to the topic, the rest is just describing his/her own game.

On topic: I've tried to minimize zombie killings in some of my games and those games tend to be my more nomadic games. I just don't do well in one spot if i don't clear the area. Makes me nervous. Let us know how it pans out!

I personally LOL'd at how much of a topic hijack this very first reply was. The first four words of the first sentence relate to the topic, the rest is just describing his/her own game.

On topic: I've tried to minimize zombie killings in some of my games and those games tend to be my more nomadic games. I just don't do well in one spot if i don't clear the area. Makes me nervous. Let us know how it pans out!

I just decided to share my story with others.

I just decided to share my story with others.

<3 thats perfectly fine and good it's a cool story so don't let his comment get your feelings down <3

Archived