Improvised Weaponry

k12314

So, I was thinking that you should have the ability to make really basic improvised weapons. Like, duct tape a knife to a stick to make a longer range stabbing weapon, or maybe even strap a knife on the end of a rifle or shotgun for a makeshift bayonet. Then of course there could be some more in-depth things, like if you find a stick and a pocket knife (instead of a Kitten knife) you could sharpen the stick into a makeshift stabbing weapon, since a pocket knife is a bit small, and you could sharpen a long stick, but it'd be weaker than the Kitten knife on a stick for obvious reasons. The list could go on, post your ideas if you like. I know this isn't very fleshed out, but that's because I'm not very creative.

Until then I recommend using the mods found on the forums! I'm a fan of the fletchery mod myself.

And if you can't find something you want try posting your suggestions in this thread: http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/312-craftable-weapons-mod/

I can't guarantee he'll make what you want, but it's worth a try!

PS, I'm guessing the reason they aren't adding tons and tons of weapons is because the devs want to focus on debugging, improving "flawed" systems and implementing new features: NPCs, Meta-Game. (It's an Alpha) After they've done things like that it'll be easy for them to put these weapons that you have in mind. (Don't quote me on this)

Oh, I know they gotta fix up the game all nice and pretty first before they chuck new shit in. This was more a suggestion for down the line, when they can actually take the time to add weapons without delaying anything ultra-important.

• 3 months later...

Oh, I know they gotta fix up the game all nice and pretty first before they chuck new shit in. This was more a suggestion for down the line, when they can actually take the time to add weapons without delaying anything ultra-important.

I agree. At the moment there are other priorities, so we probably wont see new weapons that soon, however meanwhile, we could use this time to come up with a few improvised weapon ideas and make dev's job a bit easier at the end.

Here's a nice thread about the subject

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/310-more-improvisedhomemade-weapons/

• 2 weeks later...

Do you even know what you use them for? You don't stab with em, you short range throw em!

(You can't view this on a phone)

Grab This Son!O    ---->O Ugh Mah Face  

-I-          =I 

/ \           / \ 

/\

Maybe 6 Feet Max

Do you even know what you use them for? You don't stab with em, you short range throw em!

(You can't view this on a phone)

Grab This Son!O    ---->O Ugh Mah Face  

-I-          =I 

/ \           / \ 

/\

Maybe 6 Feet Max

Still unsure about accuracy or power.

Power could be argued. You'd have to be a pretty big moron to miss from 5 or 6 feet. It would be more for staying out of reach but still pretty close to the zomb. I don't know how hard it would be to put a sharpened stick through a rotting face from afar tho.

Power could be argued. You'd have to be a pretty big moron to miss from 5 or 6 feet. It would be more for staying out of reach but still pretty close to the zomb. I don't know how hard it would be to put a sharpened stick through a rotting face from afar tho.

Spears are really hard to throw straight.

http://imgur.com/82ykyex

This is a spear that I made a while ago, except this one I split it down the middle. However, I can throw it 5 or so feet, but I doubt I could do much more accurately. Part of that is just because I'm not coordinated :P The only thing about it was that it required an axe too. I cut down a sapling, shaved off all extra branches and anything green. Then I peeled it, and sharpened the top. After sharpening the bottom too, I took the axe I used to cut down the tree and set it in the middle of the top. I hammered the axe into the wood 2 so it made 4 different prongs, tho you wouldn't need to do that, and voila. It's a little rough and jagged looking (My IRL carpentry level is Negative Potato) but it definitely hurts. It also took like 2 hours to make, so it wouldn't really be the most obtainable weapon, but if you notice that cord, I can wear it without having to hold it. I think this wouldn't be an outrageous suggestion but your carpentry level'd need to be up there to make a good one. It's about a pound btw. One thing I will note is it's really fun to make and was entertaining so maybe it could take away boredom.

And what you said about them grabbing, well technically they could grab any of your weapons, they just don't. And again with difficulty throwing, that's what the XP "Aiming" could be. Chances are the developers won't add this anyway tho

Unless it was an actual javelin and not a sharpened stick or duck-taped knife, the skull would probably break or damage the makeshift weapon with very little impact unless it went right through the eye socket or maybe the temple if it was sturdy enough. You would have to throw it very accurately and still muster enough power to go through the head.

And before anyone argues that a rotting skull would be softer, keep in mind that all of the zombies are pretty fresh until you survive for a VERY long period of time. I'd wager that the zombie skulls are right on par with a normal human skull. I think you'd be better off using it to impale their eye sockets as a jabbing melee weapon, which could be quite effective against singular zeds and outright useless against more.

And before anyone argues that a rotting skull would be softer, keep in mind that all of the zombies are pretty fresh until you survive for a VERY long period of time. I'd wager that the zombie skulls are right on par with a normal human skull. I think you'd be better off using it to impale their eye sockets as a jabbing melee weapon, which could be quite effective against singular zeds and outright useless against more.

Going by TZSG lore, it would take about five years for zombies bones to start deteriorating to a noticeable point.

I would love the opportunity to attach a crude bayonet to my shotgun... Duct tape and kitchen knife anyone? Don't worry if the knife gets stuck, just pull the trigger and wrench the gun away.

Being able to melee someone with the but of the shottie would be pretty damn amazing too. More a way to shove zombies back with a gun out than anything else.

I would love the opportunity to attach a crude bayonet to my shotgun... Duct tape and kitchen knife anyone? Don't worry if the knife gets stuck, just pull the trigger and wrench the gun away.

Being able to melee someone with the but of the shottie would be pretty damn amazing too. More a way to shove zombies back with a gun out than anything else.

That would be a great weapon, duct tape wouldn't be able to hold it very well though. When welding is introduced you could build a makeshift bayonet attachment that would hold up much longer.

while I think that improvised weaponry would be nice, I don't have much faith in it. a stick with a knife glued to it is very unreliable. it would get torn of the stick in no time... I'd much rather go for improvised modifications, like tape a flashlight under your shotgun, or stuff like that

Unless it was an actual javelin and not a sharpened stick or duck-taped knife, the skull would probably break or damage the makeshift weapon with very little impact unless it went right through the eye socket or maybe the temple if it was sturdy enough. You would have to throw it very accurately and still muster enough power to go through the head.

I have a spear. There was a link to a picture of it. It's 100% wood, but in game you'd have to make it out of freshly cut logs or it's not sturdy. I did have to use an axe and a knife both IRL but it sticks and isn't too difficult to throw short range as in barely out of reach of their arms which is what I've been emphasizing. I haven't tested it on a living thing because that's mean, but it can stick in trees and the like just from throwing if you're 6 or so feet back. 

I have a spear. There was a link to a picture of it. It's 100% wood, but in game you'd have to make it out of freshly cut logs or it's not sturdy. I did have to use an axe and a knife both IRL but it sticks and isn't too difficult to throw short range as in barely out of reach of their arms which is what I've been emphasizing. I haven't tested it on a living thing because that's mean, but it can stick in trees and the like just from throwing if you're 6 or so feet back. 

But can it penetrate the skull?