Up-Armored/Armed vehicles

Kauffy

While it would likely be game-breaking to have an invulnerable vehicle you could rampage with, there is absolutely a sensible path to up-armoring a car.

I used to play the tabletop game Car Wars which dealt, in less detail actually, with vehicular combat, but a significant portion of that is adding armor (and weapons) to a vehicle. Given how the current vehicle UI is so detailed, with all of its parts-- except it appears that quarter-panels don't exist, nor do bumpers or a front grill-- it would be logical to add new vehicle slots for welded attachments. The slots could be used for armor of various types (even cloth would prevent your being seen inside a car, while limiting your view, of course).

The trade-off (just as it is in Car Wars) would be weight-- good armor is quite heavy and would affect every aspect of vehicle handling.

As for weapons, it's also not that out of the question to either mount certain kinds of weapons (e.g., a flamethrower) to a vehicle, or to provide for the ability of the character to fire their handheld weapons both from stationary and moving vehicles in any direction, if the vehicle configuration allows (e.g., I remove all the glass and replace it with metal that has firing slots in it).

I'm not so hot on the mounted weapons thing, but it seems logical that someone would/could do that in the "real-world" situation. The armoring is much more sensible, particularly on the front of the vehicle.

You all have done such a great job with the vehicles-- I'd love to see that extended further.

• 3 months later...

I would like to add something. You know that you can lower your car side door window and shoot to the left or right when sitting inside? Well, I found a car, which was missing front windshield and tested if i can shoot in front of the car and it didnt work. It would be a nice detail if it did work.

14 hours ago, duh7 said:

There are mods that add this and im sure that devs plan something similiar. 

Well yes and no... there are mods that add upgrades to very specific cars but no general upgrading feature to any car as far as I know?

3 hours ago, getstoopid said:

Well yes and no... there are mods that add upgrades to very specific cars but no general upgrading feature to any car as far as I know?

Yes because it would require making assets for every single car individually right now.

Which would take a considerable amount of time. 

Though they said they will look into adding it - but no ETA