Adding Maps To The Game

Orbital121

So i know some people have been experimenting out with map making using the now zomboid Map-editor that was recently put up for download. After several hours of trailing through the options i've found, and successfully added a new map cell to the game (Overwritten) and would like to help you other people out there, so we can see some great maps! (ish!) So here you go:

Just in case some of you missed those brackets up there, this is replacing the cells in the game already; so don't test it out on a really good save file, kay? :-)  (Plus I wont be held responsible if you mess up your save!) If in doubt, back-up your save!

Now, here's the tutorial:

Saving the file:

after making your lovely artwork of mapping mastery, remember you cant just dump the ".tmx" file in there; the game doesn't like that (I have tried and it didn't load the map!) so you'll need to convert it to the file it can read, the ".lotheader" and ".lotpack" files! to do this follow these instructions:

Go to file, then go down to "generate lots" and select either the selected cell or all cells (in the image I'm only doing one cell, so it doesn't matter)

Select a location to save these files to, that you will remember!

Now you should have the two file types that are used! congratulations!

Putting it inside the game:

Most of you are here for this; adding the cells to the map, or making your own map provided you make it large enough. So lets cut to the chase; you're basically replacing cells here, so the one I picked is in the north of Muldraugh, to the south of the pancake house. This cell in the files was "35_32.lotheader" and "35_32.lotpack" so guess what i did to put it in to that location? Well first i backed up those two files. Next i just renamed my new cells and replaced them! simple, no? you don't have to use the cell i used, but if you pick one in the middle of a forest, you'll have to travel there! :-)

And here is the finished result for me:

-see the bottom of the post-

So now I hope to see some cracking new areas to Muldraugh and Westpoint! :-D and if you want a complete tutorial on how to create your own town from scratch, just say and ill get to work :-)

P.S - Only my second post to the forum; dunno how to post images :razz: here's the imgur link to them: http://imgur.com/1rjaRYE,jF4HTxR#0

Further note; if it asks for a zombie spawn map image, check in the "rawmap" folder in your tools folder (the mapping tools)

If only it was that simple...

For some UNKNOWN reason, Project Zomboid refuses to read any of the new files i dump (a.k.a replace) into it, and still loads up the old "Muldraugh" map despite all the changes I make in the cells. It drives me absolute bunkers.

Plus in WorldEd, not sure if this issue is for everyone, any building i place in ".tmx" file does not seem to appear changed within "The World" map, and only can be seen if I double click a particular cell. This problem did not seem to be in on older youtube videos of mapping tools.

How do you know which cell is 35_32 lotheader and lotpack etc, all my files just have cell 0 , 1 when looking from the world map in world ed. am i looking in the wrong place?

Edit: Figured it out after doing a bit of reading, i forgot to add the offset for muldraugh

• 2 months later...

How do you know which cell is 35_32 lotheader and lotpack etc, all my files just have cell 0 , 1 when looking from the world map in world ed. am i looking in the wrong place?

Edit: Figured it out after doing a bit of reading, i forgot to add the offset for muldraugh

Well, i really can't get it. How do i know which cells are the lotpacks from the original map?

When you save your lots out there is an option to offset it. Use Blindcoders Map Project for the coordinates in accordance to how the original map is. The offset applies to the top cell (north west) and effects the rest so be sure account for that on maps larger than 1x1. Then it's as simple as overwriting the lotmaps and lotpacks in Muldraugh, KY folder. Back things up before overwriting!