Auto loot

Sooner535

Sorry if this is planned/suggested.

What I was thinking is I run around with those big 20 bags (2 of them) and put my stuff in different things (refrigerator, 2-3 different cabinets, and a book shelf) what would be handy is if I could just after I've say put a magazine and newspaper in the bookshelf I can now click a button and the computer grabs all of those items and puts it in there, I suggest it stay to where the first items you put in there be manual and the rest be auto.

If I understood you correctly there is already such a button in the containers... It's in the top left corner of the container window saying: Loot all

post-359-0-65302600-1375529500_thumb.png

EDIT: or if you mean looting the stuff straight in to the bag, just open the bag in your inventory and then press the loot all

Didn't know that but I suppose it's a unpack all button but only grabs items that are already in the container IE newspaper on the shelf and I have a newspaper, orange, fork, and bat in my possession if I click deposit all it puts only the magazine in

Oh, I like this idea, if I understand what you're saying.  An inventory button that unpacks matching items into a container, that would save so much time putting things away after going scavenging, especially if it checked all of your bags for you.

I don't think I like this, personally. It would make the game easier, yes, but not in a good way. If, say, there are zombies chasing you and you're trying to sort things before the zombies get to you it would make it easier in an unrealistic way. The packing times are balanced around you taking a moment to find things and click on them- just like you would need to find things in your bags in real life. You can't just turn a backpack upside down and only have oranges and pencils fall out but not apples and pens.

I think that unpacking times are the reason that this concept is balanced.  You're not just turning over your bag and having specific items fall out, you're reaching in and moving each item individually.  It takes plenty of time already, in my opinion.  Then again, shift-click is missing from 2.9.9.10 and IIRC there's still some balancing in the works for the inventory system so it's probably too soon to say.

The unpacking times are balanced around the time it should take to unpack, though. The time it takes to find something is organic, just like it would be in real life- whether it's near the top or the bottom of the bad, how quick you are, etc. Taking that away removes some of the balance and diminishes the challenge of the game in my humble opinion.

I definitely see where you're coming from, and I appreciate your interest in inventory management mechanics, it's one of my favorite things about this game, other than the entire concept and the fact that it's isometric.  What if there was an extra countdown added, something like "checking inventory..."

I can understand that, perhaps as compensation the time it would take to put the items into the container would be 1-5% longer than normal to make up for this? I don't mind how long it takes because I do not unpack unless I am completely secure so idk, perhaps also a balance suggestion would be a zombie cannot too close to you (though this would be difficult to code because you have to take into account walls, windows, barricades, etc.) all in all the 1-5% increase is something I could live with as the only reason I don't like it now is because of all the freaking button meshing lol I am ok with a 5 unit paint taking forever to put in so what are your thoughts on this? We can always meet in some sort of middle ground or better yet have an option in sandbox to disable a feature that would make it take longer to put items in the container, just some thoughts on the matter.

To me, personally, it's going to immersion breaking almost no matter how it's put in. But that's just one guy's opinion. It's also a lot of extra coding work for something that many people might not even use, which isn't usually a great thing.

You already have the option to sort your inventory / containers by item type, select a stack of similar items and drag-drop to move them to another container. Maybe there are issues with the UI at the moment, but it usually works for me. You can even queue you move orders, so it's just a question of doing some clicking and waiting for your bags to unload.

I don't think we need to automate this further.

A quick and easy way to unpack is to dump your items on the ground. Noone who will steal them at the moment :)

You don't really need this; you can already keep items organized by category in the containers you bring them home in (food bag, water bag, weapon bag, etc.).

Once you do that it's simple enough to drag them into their respective containers in your safehouse.  If time is an issue, pause.  Any inventory commands you issue while the game is paused will be filled out automatically in order once you resume time.

This was brought up in the old forums too. Having it so one must manually open the inventory and click on items simulates the requirement of going through an actual bag. Even having a time panelty with autoloot would ruin the immersion, making it quite generic.

Just my opinion, but the looting in PZ isn't supposed to be mindless, really. :P