Safehouse/Transport Advice

BigBearHugs

I bought the game today and I'm currently holed up in a small house one street over from the Church.

I'm playing on Sandbox with the options kinda after The Walking Dead: Zambies are all slow with decent hearing and easy to kill but they are in GREAT numbers.

My progress/stockpile: 

-All my windows are curtained with a dozen sheets to spare

-Big food stockpile that is about 60% perishables

-2 bats, 1 crowbar, 5 hammers, 1 frying pan, 2 saws, a big hiking bag (warehouse raid/looting houses)

-Assortment of vitamins

-Surplus of towels, extra clothes, nails, literature, etc

My character is Stout, Athletic, and a Light Eater

His downsides are Brooding, Clumsy, Short Tempered, Hypochondriac, and Light Drinker.

Now my question is: How would I go about moving my ALL my supplies effectively? My current location isn't the most appealing or safe and I'd like to move my safe-house up to about where the Car Repair shop is. I honestly have NO intent of leaving anything behind in terms of essentials or future-essentials.

ANY other tips/advice you guys have about anything else would also be great! Thanks!

EDIT: The question is answered! But feel free to leave any advice!

I thought it said "Transport Device." I was about to go on a rant about how these "Call Of Duty kiddies" need to stop "poisoning this community."

All joking aside, I would say grab a decent amount in your hiking bag, and just keep running it back and forth. If you get caught by zeds, lose them in the trees. Just make sure you don't lead any to your NEW safehouse.

I thought it said "Transport Device." I was about to go on a rant about how these "Call Of Duty kiddies" need to stop "poisoning this community."

All joking aside, I would say grab a decent amount in your hiking bag, and just keep running it back and forth. If you get caught by zeds, lose them in the trees. Just make sure you don't lead any to your NEW safehouse.

Haha! Good thing I'm a Battlefield Adult :P But yeah, I guess I'll just have to invest some time into moving. Should I move after I've gone through a good amount of my perishables to save some space?

why not keep some stuff at the current house,and use it as an emergency backup safe house

That's what I do-I usually end up w/ a few emergency safe houses. Who knows, you might have to retreat from your new safe house or stay out too long exploring and need a place to crash etc. Also, do you *really* need 5 hammers and a dozen extra sheets in one house? Are you role playing a hoarder survivor? :D

why not keep some stuff at the current house,and use it as an emergency backup safe house

That's also what I do, there are many things you don't need, as 2 tools of the same type. You can always go back to repair an axe or something. Just plan ahead :)

When moving I usually take all kind of pills (light weight), one of each crafting tool, everything used for farming, and food. As many trips as necessary :D

You may want to take it all if you move really far and are going to do some planting. Going back could mean all your plants death.

UPDATE: Thanks for the all the responses guys! 

After about a week and 120 zombies later, I moved into the small house with the fence around most of it DIRECTLY south of the Giant Warehouse. I was planning on moving into the house to the left of it but when trekking there, I was surrounded by a CRAP ton of zambies and ended up littering the lawn of said house with corpses which I couldn't stand looking at. 

The house I'm currently in is being fortified and I'm slowly looting all the surrounding buildings!

ANY other tips/advice you guys have about anything else would also be great! Thanks!

You know about the map? http://pzmap.crash-override.net/

I find it very helpful.

Yes sir I do! It's how I found where I wanted to move to!

I looked for a house that was in a good, semi-safe area that could be easily fortified and wasn't too far from good looting places!

I find it very helpful.

I looked for a house that was in a good, semi-safe area that could be easily fortified and wasn't too far from good looting places!

In my experience a good looting location is never a place ready to fortify. Because more loots mean more zombie. More zombies mean they are going to harass you when you build up your fort.

What I do is stockpile a bunch of shotgun shells, kill all the zombies in the area and loot without worrying any outdoor zombies.

I find it very helpful.

In my experience a good looting location is never a place ready to fortify. Because more loots mean more zombie. More zombies mean they are going to harass you when you build up your fort.

What I do is stockpile a bunch of shotgun shells, kill all the zombies in the area and loot without worrying any outdoor zombies.

Yeah, I actually ended up moving again! I'm now living in the house with the walls all around it that's to the left of the Train Station on the big map if you know what I'm talking about.

I scouted ahead with a baseball bat, a pistol, 60 rounds, and some sheets. I killed all the zambies I saw along the way, lured out any zombies from the property I wanted and killed them too. Then I sheeted up the windows, and made 3 runs back and forth transporting all my stuff and voila! 

Now I'm doing food runs because I have very few perishables and I want to save my non-per's for as long as I can. I'm also currently taking every empty bottle/mug I can find and filling them with water and storing for later use!

I would say as you're still new to the game consider moving somewhere that's further out of town. Zombie numbers are always greater in more urban areas. If you want to give yourself some room to survive while you get the basics down it's a good idea to set up shop somewhere that's as rural as possible while also not being so far away that you have to run for days in order to get anywhere that you can loot. Most of us tend to do that anyway, unless we're looking for a challenge. Safe house selection is usually something you want to do the first couple of days before you've focused a lot on looting so that you don't end up bogged down with a bunch of stuff to have to move from one house to another, although it's not a huge deal either way. Anyway as far as safe house selection goes you'll want to find somewhere that's relatively secluded, has more than one first floor exit, but not so many windows that it will be difficult to defend, is in relatively close proximity to some trees, as once you start really bolstering your defenses you'll want lumber that's readily available, you'll want your kitchen to have both a fridge and either a standard oven or a microwave so you can cook and keep your perishables cold as long as the power holds out, and lastly it helps, though isn't entirely essential, to have a second story so that you'll both have somewhere to hide if a large horde decides to move through your first floor, and somewhere to fall back to if you get overrun and can't make it to an exit. It's also a good idea to keep a couple of sheet ropes, a couple of nails, and an extra hammer in a container near a window on your second floor, so that if that happens you'll be able to take off out your window if you need to.

As far as I'm concerned having a safe place to hang your hat should be your first and top priority. Everything else comes with experience. Really the best way to learn is trial and error. Though you are eventually going to want to learn how to farm and build, both of which are things that will probably be helpful to have some advice for, though are user friendly enough that you shouldn't have too too much of a problem on your own. Building yourself rain water collectors is a really good thing to do too. You have to be at least carpentry level 3 now I think to be able to build the basic ones, so you'll want to make finding construction materials and carpentry skill books enough of a priority to be able to be working on that. Once the waterworks goes down those rain collectors will keep you alive.

Archived