Don't add too many aspects to survival

CliffExcellent

It is that, though. That's exactly what the devs said when they discussed this. Your DF-playing friend is one-off. There's nothing inherently wrong with a toilet system from some moralistic standpoint, it's just that it's a 100% worthless gameplay mechanic. That's all there is to it; no matter what anyone else anywhere else says, that is why PZ won't have it.

<...>

I'm sure this has been well trounced over, but a large part of why you haven't seen a lot of content released for a while was due to the unfortunate circumstances that lead to them losing a large part of their work (and equipment).

As far as balance goes, the game is intentionally not being balanced. Lemmy has said several times (and it's a pretty well-held tenet of alpha programming) that there's no point in balancing a game when everything you balance will likely be changed in the future anyways. I'm sure you're not interested (and don't need) to hear the lecture on alpha games, but the plan is to get all of the basic features functional and then in beta you worry about balancing.

This is a point I can't stress enough. "Polish what you have before adding more" is silly at this stage, because once more is added it will more than likely throw of the balance, requiring the devs to go back and fix it all over again. 

Just for example, there's about another dozen professions partially in the game code unused right now. That's because they're more worried about the profession system working than the professions themselves; that comes in beta. Lemmy has even specifically addressed construction worker being best; they're well aware, it would just be silly to balance the 5 professions we have and then have it all be made worthless when the others get added in beta phase.

To add to this: the hard part is over in creating this particular feature. Now it's just a matter of copy-pasting the format they use to distinguish a profession, and plugging in the new stats. This takes considerably less time to do than adding an entirely new mechanic. However, the specific values for stats or skills will require reiteration and tweaking to become balanced, and that is a process that takes place over some time, as each tweak must then be tested. Why put in the time and effort if they finally get it right, THEN add in a new feature which alters the balance of the professions, making some traits more desirable to start with than others and making a dominant profession, such as our current Construction Worker?

It's not a matter of them not being able to handle the work load; that's exactly how an alpha is meant  to work. I'm not saying the game shouldn't be criticized; it should, and all of the devs are great at accepting criticism and folding it into their design. But the point is that some of your criticism isn't helpful or accurate, such as that about balance.

Feature creep can devastate games, that's absolutely true. But the PZ devs have a clear plan that they consistently work towards. The suggestion forum is a place for people to throw out ideas, of which a minuscule, microscopic amount might someday be included in the game. I can assure you they don't just pile on every idea they see; most of what is in the "Commonly Suggested Suggestions" list as 'yes's' are things that the devs were planning on implementing from day one that people just happen to make threads about a lot, not because they just say yes to everything in this subforum.

The very condensed version is that I'm not sure you understand what alpha means in programming. I'm not trying to use that as a shield for criticism or unhappiness with the game; that's all valid criticism. What I am saying is that features aren't and shouldn't be balanced until the beta phase of the game. That's just how game design is.

What do you people even need me for with this guy...

I dont think you should play sims lol.... Having to go to the toilet and clean but isent sims one the best selling pc games? .... Just thinking now... add zombies to sims 3 and its kinda like project Zomboid lol

I have played The Sims and quite enjoyed it. The difference being that you don't manually control one Sim, you indirectly control a whole bunch of them. It's hardly time consuming and you can always do something else while you wait.

I beg to differ. Once NPCs get added, you'll be able to delegate a whole lot of that extra work to your group members so you can focus on the stuff that you actually want to do yourself.

Ah yeah, didn't think about that. Still sounds like it would be a pain to organise though.

Also multiplayer will help with this as well, and it will be fine with both friends and NPCs  :)

This may seem a really stupid and obvious reply too this, but regarding the NPC's, they will be carrying guns right?, and be able too fire at the player?

Reason for this is that I would like them too have an even chance of killing me, like in a room, holding a gun (player), npc sees this also gets their gun out (if has one), just a simple trigger would be sufficient, would make clearing a 2 man room while the others are out scavenging a risky thing too do.

Just my 2 pence :).

This may seem a really stupid and obvious reply too this, but regarding the NPC's, they will be carrying guns right?, and be able too fire at the player?

Reason for this is that I would like them too have an even chance of killing me, like in a room, holding a gun (player), npc sees this also gets their gun out (if has one), just a simple trigger would be sufficient, would make clearing a 2 man room while the others are out scavenging a risky thing too do.

Yes they will carry weapons and if hostile will be very dangerous. :)

Considering they could one-hit you in previous builds, I think you'll get your wish. :D