Baldurs Gate MP

Keepbro

Hey everyone - Xydonus just reminded me that the next installment of Baldurs Gate extended edition is coming out in a few weeks.

To that end I'd like to invite people to join a mini group of guys/gals who want to do a complete Baldurs Gate runthrough start to finish, film it for posterity and just basically have a laugh playing in a group with other people.

Anyone who is keen please sign up here with what character class you want to be as well as what night is best for you to play on along with the usual time code stuff and languages too.

Ideally I'd like everyone to have at least one night free a week so that we can get at least 3-4 hours of dungeon delving and monster bashing in and everyone would need to have some form of teamspeak because its going to be filmed purely for shits and giggles but also because I need the practice.

So if you are interested in getting some practice in before BG2 EE comes out then please sign up and lets do this thang.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd join in if I wasn't already busy with my own sessions.

Hopefully the 2nd edition will have better multiplayer compatibility than the first one. Far as I know, isn't the first edition one still buggy, multiplayer wise?

Me and a few mates have been having great craic on BG2 using Gameranger. The multiplayer experience is very smooth, didn't encounter a single bug/glitch, and we are on Chapter 3 atm.

I remember reading a few posts on the BG forums from people who scolded the multiplayer experience, and I seriously can't fathom why. This is the most fun I've had in a rpg for awhile now and it puts other rpgs to shame.

On my last session (trying to avoid spoilers as best as I can here) we took on a Shadow Dragon. Anyone familiar with the DnD ruleset will know that Dragons are incredibly tough and are not easy to take down. We were having a bit of trouble during the fight so I decided to recast protection from evil (I'm playing a Sorcerer) for the entire party to prepare for what was going to happen next... I then proceeded to summon a fiend, a very powerful berserker demon, to aid us in our fight. Well that was all fine up until dispel was cast, instead of breach on the dragon.

Everything was going peachy until I realized that my Sorcerer's protection from evil was gone, while everyone else in the party still had theirs, courtesy of the dispel area effect spell, that just happened to only go for me. Cue a big fiery pissed off demon eying up my squishy Sorcerer for din-dins. In comes the benny hill music, and there goes me running around with a demon on my heels while I'm frantically screaming for help. The main issue here is that I'm the host, and in Baldurs Gate if the host dies its game over for EVERYONE. So yeah, there was a lot of panic since the rest of the party managed to kill the dragon only to have a fiend to deal with now, and nothing would suck more than me being killed by my own summons and having to reload the whole fight again...

Thankfully we prevailed :D  ... But there's few games out there that can capture hilarity like that.

i managed to get a game running previously using game ranger its just that everyone needs to be singing from the same hymn sheet - when we tried they had released a patch to people who had pre-ordered but not to steam members so it was causing problems.

I just wish BG2 EE would come out already. 

Had a blast on BG EE. They're updating all of the multiplayer code for it in a patch that should be out any day now, and BG 2 EE will be shipped with them stock, so things should be good. Includes automatic port forwarding and all of that loveliness.

Believe it or not I've NEVER played BG2. I'd love to have a go with you guys, though. I'd probably take my Wild Mage from the first BG EE if you think Wild Mage is playable in a multiplayer scenario (I'm sorry in advance if my magic missile turns into Fireball -> detonate on self at level 1).

Ventrillo > Teamspeak 3 > Mumble as far as I'm concerned. I'd not have a problem with either of the first two, I truly abhor Mumble, though.

I'm available *most* nights after 5 PM EST. I say most because I'm on a rotating schedule so I work a late shift one or two nights a week that changes depending on the week. If we did it on Sundays I could always make it 6 PM EST or later.

Cool 

So we got (in order of first come first severed)

1. Me

2. Onto

3. Baron

4. Rath

5. Wafflez

We just need one more brave adventurer

Lets just make sure that we all have ventrillo and be aware that I'll be FRAPSing this thing and intending to put it online so as long as you are aware of that.

Also we need to decide who's going to be a Cleric!

NOT IT

Anyone know how to turn off particle effects? My walk around framerate is fine, but if I get too many fountains or magic happening on my screen I lag out.

Is there not an option in the Baldurs Gate 2 configure screen, under visual?

We're only on the first one, BG:EE.