why

baconprison

And that's the trade-off. Instead of going on a killing rampage when green face shows up, you carefully manage your symptoms. And in the end, you might still end up being a zombie in your safehouse. I don't pick it for a reason, but the points are always tempting. Other than this, the medical mechanics are incredibly simple. Hemophobe seems like free points. First aid skill does what? Speeds up bandaging? I'm hoping that introduction of NPCs includes the risk of getting the flu or something else that takes several days for a prepared survivor to manage. The animation video a while back shows some good opportunities for twists, scrapes and sprains. And barbed wire actually working would be nice.

17 hours ago, critical jim said:

And that's the trade-off. Instead of going on a killing rampage when green face shows up, you carefully manage your symptoms. And in the end, you might still end up being a zombie in your safehouse. I don't pick it for a reason, but the points are always tempting. Other than this, the medical mechanics are incredibly simple. Hemophobe seems like free points. First aid skill does what? Speeds up bandaging? I'm hoping that introduction of NPCs includes the risk of getting the flu or something else that takes several days for a prepared survivor to manage. The animation video a while back shows some good opportunities for twists, scrapes and sprains. And barbed wire actually working would be nice.

yea i honestly have never been a fan of zomboid's health mechanic even with the medical update a few builds back its still extremely simple

in the real world a person's health has gotta be one of the most confusing things out there all these pills viruses...you get the point

20 hours ago, critical jim said:

Well you don't actually get zombified in the end, and admittedly it's a bit more over the top than typical psychosomatic symptoms, so I'll go with: because the points would be basically free if there weren't an inherent risk involved.

eh although you can tell whether or not your infected with having the ok on your health bar (you cannot reach max health while infected easiest way to tell if you are infected) also that can easily be fixed but the point is your still paranoid you can't just go on a rampage cause you can't tell if its just the trait otherwise killing a perfectly good character

Hypochondria changes the way you play. It makes players a lot less likely to tell others if they're infected, and therefore more a danger to the group. Additionally, it makes the player adapt less to their impending death. When you know you're dying, you normally change your behaviour, possibly for the better of the group (getting to the road mid between west point / muldraugh and dropping crucial supplies), possible for yourself (killing as many zombies as you can, drinking bleach). These changes may not be seen at all from a hypochondriac.

Hypochondria will matter a lot more when NPC's are added.

Your fellow survivor gets scratched, and a couple days later he starts feeling nauseous and seeming anxious.  Do you give him a chance and see if he's actually infected or not and risk him turning in the middle of the night, or do you kill him now?

Hypochondria is a great addition to the game.  I can see a lot of moral dilemmas a la Walking Dead stemming from it.  Honestly, if I had my way there'd be 3 levels of it.  No hypochondria would cost points but would mean you always know whether or not you're infected.  Default is minor hypochondria; you might mistakenly believe you're infected but not that often.  Doesn't cost or give any points.  And then there'd be full hypochondria, which would make you think almost every scratch is infected, but would give you some free points.

13 minutes ago, Millitron said:

Your fellow survivor gets scratched, and a couple days later he starts feeling nauseous and seeming anxious.  Do you give him a chance and see if he's actually infected or not and risk him turning in the middle of the night, or do you kill him now?

More than the risk of turning itself, which is quite manageable as long as you can keep someone on watch, it's even more about whether you should invest supplies into someone who *could* turn, or not. Here's your dilemma ;-)

Archived