Masonry

TheWraithPlayer

I have been reading as all the updates on metalworking come in, eagerly awaiting the update that brings them. But that leaves something else that needs to be added in my opinion, and that is masonry. This would include the following things:

Mason profession

Masonry skills and perks

Brick floors, walls, and fences

Rock walls, fences, and floors

Flagstone flooring

Various masonry tools/weapons

I personally think that masonry would expand the possibilities of project zomboid, allowing you to make nearly completely zombie proof structures. I would like to hear what you other apocalyptic survivors out there think. thanks for reading!

On 5/30/2016 at 4:45 PM, TheWraithPlayer said:

snip

I personally think that masonry would expand the possibilities of project zomboid, allowing you to make nearly completely zombie proof structures. I would like to hear what you other apocalyptic survivors out there think. thanks for reading!

Was great until this last little part.... If I'm completely safe in my house (where I can grow vegetables, trap meat, and gather water) why would I ever leave?

2 hours ago, TheWraithPlayer said:

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by that.

I mean the game is about how you died during the apocalypse. Not how you learned how to build a nearly impenetrable fortress with self sustaining greenhouses and butcher shop.

I whole heartedly agree that masonry would be fantastic, but there needs to be just as many drawbacks with it as well.

20 hours ago, Demonic_Kat said:

I mean the game is about how you died during the apocalypse. Not how you learned how to build a nearly impenetrable fortress with self sustaining greenhouses and butcher shop.

I whole heartedly agree that masonry would be fantastic, but there needs to be just as many drawbacks with it as well.

I get what your saying, I hadn't thought of that thanks. My idea to solve that is to put that in after npcs, so that way there would be somebody there to destroy part of it when they raid your base. destruction options would be things such as bombs, or bulldozers (once cars get in). Another thing is the earthquakes I mentioned in an earlier post. they wouldn't be strong enough to break the wall (unless it was very crappy) but it would crack and weaken it enough to make it able to be knocked over with enough zombies. again, thanks for the input, I hadn't quite thought of that.

• 3 months later...

Love the idea of masonry... got a lot of stones to use and let's face it... I won't do crude hammer while I have tons of regular ones (4 full crates with organized).

Although I'm not certain that a stone wall (stone + mortar) would be totaly indestructible.  I would probably be sturdier then a wood wall, but zombies could dislodge stones slowly but surely... and at some point it would lose enough structural integrity and colapse.

Now that would be cool for it to colapse on the zombies and crush them... but it's an entirely different thing.

20 hours ago, MyTJ said:

Love the idea of masonry... got a lot of stones to use and let's face it... I won't do crude hammer while I have tons of regular ones (4 full crates with organized).

Although I'm not certain that a stone wall (stone + mortar) would be totaly indestructible.  I would probably be sturdier then a wood wall, but zombies could dislodge stones slowly but surely... and at some point it would lose enough structural integrity and colapse.

Now that would be cool for it to colapse on the zombies and crush them... but it's an entirely different thing.

Yeah, I had thought of this, and how sturdy said wall is would depend on your masonry skill level and what you used for the wall, like if you used mortar or just mud, or stone or bricks, for example.