Idea for the map

Mrm4466

Hello,

I have an idea for the expansion of the map in Project Zomboid.

Since the map is already based on two cities in Kentucky, why not have all of Kentucky?

I know it would be a pain for the developers, but it would be easier to navigate if you spawned in your home town (assuming you live in Kentucky).

And for the far future of PZ, you can choose which state you wish to spawn in, and then which city.

My idea seems quite challenging for the developers, but if the community would like to help expand my idea and recreate their hometown that would be the next step towards making this amazing game even better.

Kentucky has 40,410 square MILES (104,659Km) including water.

this ain't EA, Turn 10 or Rockstar with their huge game budgets.

asking the poor Devs to try and map out that much territory is both cruel and unusual punishment (JK)

seriously, they don't have enough mapping people to try that much territory and still have it done in this decade

think of it this way, New Denver is a relatively small area that is still being worked on. that has taken that map maker a long time. it was 11 months in the making at release, so well over a year and counting now

Even with some kind of very smart algorythm conversing real map data to map in game it would still require much much work to do to be playable.
It will be awesome to have so huge area in game but sadly PZ doesn't have like 30 poeple to work only on expanding map.

Edited by kirrus
Recoloured text

I think that PZ's community has some pretty talented people who make use of the map editing tool that the Dev Team released in order to make custom maps to vary the game experience. I don't think it's realistic to expect the Dev team to make all of America given the time investment and lack of resources. However, I feel that a simplified more streamlined version of the map editing tool would make the task of "recreating" hometowns and the like less intimidating for novice mapmakers. Then I'd think we'd see more varied maps from locations all over the world, but as Evilwuun said that would require more tilesets as well.

I would like to see if Las Vegas and Henderson Nevada if they added a new city and state. I think a big desert city would be really cool to survive in. Plus the fact there is lake mead for water, a decent amount of trees near houses. and a great abundance of big buildings. There is also nearby military bases and dry lakebeds that become muddy after the fall time monsoons. It would be a good addition but with the major problem being large hordes and lack of natural resources. That makes it even harder and that much more fun.