Weapon Wear Needs To Be Fixed

vonVile

Perhaps they could just do more research? I agree with most about how such uses as stabbing a skull with a knife can break it quite easily at some point.

And the crowbar.. if you are hitting the zombies in the ribcage you shouldnt still be alive in a zombie apocalypse.. that aside it still shouldnt get so stuck you cant pull it out the same way it entered the wound, and when driven by adrenaline in combat you will probably just rip it loose either way.

Though as i don know this ill eitherway add this, the skilll with say edged weapons in such a case should change the durability as you learn where to stab or such with least resistance and problems.

Also i wanted to add on this topic, though as i agree some items have a low durability, how about making it randomly generated how some weapons have a higher durability but you make it so that it randomly spawns with a durability between 50-100% to make it seem like you found a better quality item? Like some people actually do like sturdy knives and therefor buy better ones or even one of those keramic ones that never get worn down actually just sharper with use. And so they still wear down but some last longer without everything needing its own unique new name..

I was talking about this with my brother recently, I think the crowbar is fine as it is the item is made to do Harsher jobs than caving in Zombie skulls, the real problem is that it's too easy to find right now, the huge metal beatstick would be the first thing I would grab for when crowds start looking at me as an early lunch, I think finding one in a warehouse should be a bit of good fortune  not a given, these should more likely be found on zombie corpses of failed survivors. the other 2 Big weapons the Hammer and the Axe should have their durability raised in my opinion, the hammer to 40 at most (I'm using the numbers found on the wiki to base my statements here) because it's the most common of the 3 and it's made to do hard work but not the kind of work killing a zombie represents. and the Axe should be in the 50 to 60 range, it's made to do the job it's doing (Harder even) but all that gore it going to wear down a 2 part weapon faster (plus as one of the "necessary" tools for living in the woods it need to be more available than the pure weapon that is the crowbar).

So is there any possibility of mechanics that boost durability of weapons through regular maintenance? You can replace axe handles, make new grips, rehone edges and all that too.

Don't see where your going to find supplies to do any upgrading, though it would be an interesting feature.

So is there any possibility of mechanics that boost durability of weapons through regular maintenance? You can replace axe handles, make new grips, rehone edges and all that too.

Don't see where your going to find supplies to do any upgrading, though it would be an interesting feature.

Depending on the weapon, you can say, drive metal rods into the haft of a weapon for rigidity, fill cavities and cracks with resin, file out simple abberations or maybe small chips in weapons, etc. Most people aren't experts but leave someone with supplies and something they depend on for survival long enough and they will make something of it.

In the next beta release there will be weapon repairs. This will be doable with stuff like wood glue, string, duct tape, etc. and will have varying levels of actual success.

So are they one time things, or can they be repeated?

I think they can be repeated but have a lower chance each time.

And if I recall correctly, 'failing' can actually make the weapon worse or break it. Would have to double check on that, though. The more you try to repair something, the less effective it is (so one way or another, your trusty axe isn't going to last you an entire game).

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry but that's actually pretty realistic. Matter of fact, if you can get 6 kills out of a high quality kitchen knife, you got your money's worth. You say flash is weak, and that's true, but you're forgetting bone. Kitchen knives are made of 440 stainless steel, a low grade steel that isn't very strong. Otherwise, SEALs wouldn't dish out the extra for SOG knives, would they :P You want a knife that'll kill 100 zeds and still hold its edge? You won't find it in a kitchen anywhere on this planet. As for the Axe, in reality, if you own one and use it regularly, you're gonna break one handle a year average, and that's without laying into zombie skulls and chopping down every door in the neighborhood. The metal wedge isn't the part that breaks, the shaft can only take so much stress. You mention Deba knives which is funny and silly. Think about it, so everyone in Kentucky buys overpriced kitchen cuttlery? lol no, everyone in Kentucky buys their kitchen knives at Walmart(I'm a Kentuckian so I know firsthand lol), top brand you're gonna find scavenging will be Chicago Cuttlery regardless of how you perceive the icon in game to look like the top-of-the-line companion.

The answer to your problem isn't to buff the Kitchen knives, as they perform exactly how they would in the real world, but to add combat knives. A good ole SOG Seal Pup for carving up the zeds in a pinch.

Sorry but that's actually pretty realistic. Matter of fact, if you can get 6 kills out of a high quality kitchen knife, you got your money's worth. You say flash is weak, and that's true, but you're forgetting bone. Kitchen knives are made of 440 stainless steel, a low grade steel that isn't very strong. Otherwise, SEALs wouldn't dish out the extra for SOG knives, would they :P You want a knife that'll kill 100 zeds and still hold its edge? You won't find it in a kitchen anywhere on this planet. As for the Axe, in reality, if you own one and use it regularly, you're gonna break one handle a year average, and that's without laying into zombie skulls and chopping down every door in the neighborhood. The metal wedge isn't the part that breaks, the shaft can only take so much stress. You mention Deba knives which is funny and silly. Think about it, so everyone in Kentucky buys overpriced kitchen cuttlery? lol no, everyone in Kentucky buys their kitchen knives at Walmart(I'm a Kentuckian so I know firsthand lol), top brand you're gonna find scavenging will be Chicago Cuttlery regardless of how you perceive the icon in game to look like the top-of-the-line companion.

The answer to your problem isn't to buff the Kitchen knives, as they perform exactly how they would in the real world, but to add combat knives. A good ole SOG Seal Pup for carving up the zeds in a pinch.

Good post but this has already been said.