Time Overhaul

CaptKaspar

I suggest that scaling of how fast time passes should receive an overhaul.

Today I did an experiment in my sandbox game on 29.4

Experiment: I measured how many times I could run and also walk around my 2BR, 2 Bath house within a single 10 minute increment.

Conditions: 2 Hour Day, Dry, Not Overburdened, No Food Buffs, 0 points in Sprint, Construction Worker, Strong, Light Drinker, Short-Tempered.

I waited at a predetermined point and waited for the clock to click over. I then sprinted around my house keeping as tight of a race line as I could until the clocked ticked over again.

Sprinting Result: 2.25 times (or very close to the 2.25 since there is no exact way to measure) with about 0.25 of that fatigued.

Walking Result: 1.5 times

My point is that the time scale is all screwed up. The average person should be able to run about a 10 minute mile. 2.25 times around my house is not anywhere near a mile. And this was on a 'doubled' 2 hour/day game. I want to go outside IRL and walk around my house for 10 minutes and measure the distance, but I have a number of fences that would screw up the comparison. Maybe I'll just use my neighbor's house...

I guess the solution is to find the time scale that appears most accurate in the sandbox settings if I am looking for that kind of scaled realism, but I do suggest that the system gets a good look at and re-balance.

The PZ world isn't really up to scale, thus real life speeds and distances don't work. Measure the straight line distance between Muldraugh and WP IRL, and compare to distance on PZ map with your chosen tile size (easy example 1x1m, but try others based on known sizes of various real life items that take 1 tile in PZ) to observe the effect.

True that the distance scales are off, but they could have just as easily made a completely fictitious world instead of mirroring Muldraugh/WP. So the distance scales don't bother me too much. But they could adjust the time scale to be more realistic for the distance that your player travels (whatever that distance scale is), but I guess that is what the sandbox options are for. I just think the standard setting is way too fast. But, then again its just a game.

Other things bother me with time as well, such as: Reading a book (takes less than 10 minutes), Sawing a log (takes less than 10 minutes), building a log wall (takes less than 10 minutes), etc.

Just a suggestion to have some re-balancing done.

True that the distance scales are off, but they could have just as easily made a completely fictitious world instead of mirroring Muldraugh/WP. So the distance scales don't bother me too much. But they could adjust the time scale to be more realistic for the distance that your player travels (whatever that distance scale is), but I guess that is what the sandbox options are for. I just think the standard setting is way too fast. But, then again its just a game.

Other things bother me with time as well, such as: Reading a book (takes less than 10 minutes), Sawing a log (takes less than 10 minutes), building a log wall (takes less than 10 minutes), etc.

Well if you set it to a 24 hour day the movement speed would be realistic but then you would be reading full books in 5 seconds...

Well if you set it to a 24 hour day the movement speed would be realistic but then you would be reading full books in 5 seconds...

I actually think you character would be moving too fast at a 24 hour day setting. They'd cover miles in under a minute, and like you said about reading books etc.

There's a balance somewhere.

But shouldn't balancing be left for when all/most features are in and there's nothing that would change the balance further, ie. beta.

I'll just add that I do agree on some points like building which is imo too fast.

It is easier to maintain balance as you go along than find a balance with a bunch of separate parts at the end... or so I have found from modding for other games. It always becomes a more daunting task when you leave it for last...

there's no "golden rule" for space/time proportion cause it affectts many aspects of the game which cant be personal for all. the only solution i guess is dynamic timescale but i'm not sure it's possible and after all may be it won't be solution at all. as for timed action values i think that they could be set to realistic without any balance or immersion loss (just to edit "a couple" of script files). but it's a such laborious task so it's reasonable to

leave it for last

after all main changes will be done. or to find some volunteers to stop this snowball rolling down a mountain))

The timeframe with a base unit of 10 minutes has been here for around since June 2011 . . . chances are it won't be going through a massive change. And, as Harakka says, PZ isn't fully up to scale: there's a lot of "Is it fun?" employed in the design, hence why some actions are much faster (or slower) than they would be in reality.