jhepong24

Do you like this idea?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like this idea?

• Yes
    • No
    • I have a better idea. (share it)
    • I don't care.

I was thinking, lots of zombie movies have their characters hid somewhere some time. Or even I, myself, if zombie apocalypse just happened, hiding will be my last option.

Example scenario 1: (defensive)
If that house's alarm, gunshots or chopper sounded and its pitch black outside and you haven't barricaded the house, you might just want to hide somewhere you can fit into.

This is also true for multiplayer. Since the game implements some sort of fog of warthen hiding would be such a nice addition to tricks players can do. If you're in pursuit by a gang of aggressive players, you have other options other than fight back, run away, or run away and hide then run away again.

Example scenario 2: (aggressive)
If multiplayer is implemented, this can be used not only for defensive hiding, but also as means for surprise attack.

Mechanics:
- you must find a large container where a human can fit into
- make sure you emptied it (or maybe something that affects player's overall weight and the weight the container can still hold)
- to bring out the hide context menu, you'll have to right click the eligible container then choose "hide"

- you cannot eat, drink or sleep inside containers (it would be OP if this can be done)
- once hidden there are no means to see whats outside the container (peeping by opening a container for a tiny bit, would seem to be OP as it would be so hard for other players to spot you)
- but you can hear sounds of course. the nearer zeds or players are, the louder the sound you could hear.

- there could be other things to consider especially during Multiplayer. These include: Hidden Players' Keen Hearing Trait or Hard of Hearing Trait, against Pursuing Players' Graceful Trait, walking, running or sneaking.
- if you've been detected by a zed, it will move adjacent to your hiding place and start whacking your hiding spot. You will get highly reduced damage and be injured, but not a zombie bite injury. If implemented that containers can be destroyed, then it will be destroyed after a few hits; and you'll be left vulnerable for a while, like stunned for 2 realtime seconds or something. Thats when you're gonna get bit by zombies.

- if you've been detected by another player, or NPC, he can attack you with his weapon but with highly reduced damage, and you'll also be injured, until the container got destroyed. You'll also be stunned for 2 realtime seconds.

- you may choose to get out of your hiding spot by long pressing E, just like going out of the window. That way, you'll suffer no stun debuff. You can also start attacking as if performing a surprise attack.

- however, if you get out of your hiding spot while being attacked or receiving damage, you'll still be stunned for 2 realtime seconds.

My suggestion.

sorry bout my English.

myvote=TRUE,

may i know why? =)

Because too many times have I been looting downtown get seen by a horde so I run around a corner, see a few trash cans or dumpsters and get sad because I can't hide in them, so I try to open a window whoops too late, zombies see me again.

If I could have just hopped in the trashcan, they would have just kept on going and I would have climbed out trying to be quiet.

Just has more of a realistic feel to have to ability to do something like that.

myvote=TRUE,

may i know why? =)

Because too many times have I been looting downtown get seen by a horde so I run around a corner, see a few trash cans or dumpsters and get sad because I can't hide in them, so I try to open a window whoops too late, zombies see me again.

If I could have just hopped in the trashcan, they would have just kept on going and I would have climbed out trying to be quiet.

Just has more of a realistic feel to have to ability to do something like that.

true! true! =)

I was thinking that this option would only really be useful against humans / NPCs, but kinyoshi's explanation made me reconsider.

I still wouldn't want to get into a container when zombies are after me, but I might hop into a bin for a few seconds after turning a corner. But only if I could maintain some visibility around me. Need to know if the trick didn't work! Being trapped in a bin or wardrobe with zombies milling around outside would be terrible.

Hiding sounds like a better idea when it comes to NPCs / other players. Let's say you see / hear a raiding party break into your house and you are ill-equipped to fight them. Hop into a box and hope they don't find you. If they do, you'll probably wish you had run instead, but it would add more variety and tension to the game.

I don't think we need to complicate this by emptying the container first, doing an inventory volume check etc. Some containers should be big enough to hide in and that's it. Obviously if someone was to open the container, you would be found immediately.

I think some visual cues (like moving speech bubbles outside the box, as seen in the role reversed Kate and baldspot video) would be necessary to give some clues about what's happening outside. If the characters don't talk, there could be simple noise indicators as they move around (unless they sneak).

I was thinking that this option would only really be useful against humans / NPCs, but kinyoshi's explanation made me reconsider.

I still wouldn't want to get into a container when zombies are after me, but I might hop into a bin for a few seconds after turning a corner. But only if I could maintain some visibility around me. Need to know if the trick didn't work! Being trapped in a bin or wardrobe with zombies milling around outside would be terrible.

Hiding sounds like a better idea when it comes to NPCs / other players. Let's say you see / hear a raiding party break into your house and you are ill-equipped to fight them. Hop into a box and hope they don't find you. If they do, you'll probably wish you had run instead, but it would add more variety and tension to the game.

I don't think we need to complicate this by emptying the container first, doing an inventory volume check etc. Some containers should be big enough to hide in and that's it. Obviously if someone was to open the container, you would be found immediately.

I think some visual cues (like moving speech bubbles outside the box, as seen in the role reversed Kate and baldspot video) would be necessary to give some clues about what's happening outside. If the characters don't talk, there could be simple noise indicators as they move around (unless they sneak).

Maybe have it so if they see you jump in it, they can go to it and bang on it making more noise to draw more zombies in, then either the can can be damaged (small metal household ones) and you "fall" out and get eaten, or you jump in an actual dumpster bin which will protect you as long as you have food and water and can withstand the unbearable heat or extreme cold (depending on the season you are in and what clothing you have with you, so my sewing kit mod would be useful :P) requiring you to just sit there and listen as more and more zombies bang on the bin while you try to out-wait them hoping and praying to the all-mighty Zombie in the sky that an npc survivor, a gunshot or a helicopter flies by and draw the herd away from you just long enough for you to slip out of the bin and take off running down the street the opposite way the herd went, while your thinking in real life "Holy hell, three days in a trash can and I survived!!!"

Maybe have it so if they see you jump in it, they can go to it and bang on it making more noise to draw more zombies in, then either the can can be damaged (small metal household ones) and you "fall" out and get eaten, or you jump in an actual dumpster bin which will protect you

This is exactly the kind of thing I would want to avoid. I don't even go into buildings when I'm being tailed, unless I know for sure there is another exit I will have time to access.

The zombies tend to follow to the last place they saw me, so if they see me enter a building / go near a dumpster, I wouldn't want to hide there. I know I wouldn't have the patience to sit there for days, hoping they go away. I would try to make a break for it... and probably die :razz:

while you try to out-wait them hoping and praying to the all-mighty Zombie in the sky that an npc survivor, a gunshot or a helicopter flies by and draw the herd away from you just long enough for you to slip out of the bin and take off running down the street the opposite way the herd went, while your thinking in real life "Holy hell, three days in a trash can and I survived!!!"

I like this thinking, and for me it's especially important when multiplayer comes along, or I guess now in splitscreen.  It makes for fun and interesting situations where you need to rescue someone.  I've talked about it before in relation to climbing, being able to climb onto something but being stuck there and waiting/hoping/calling for help.  Of course your idea about getting lucky and having a random event save you could work too, it's the same basic idea.

Being trapped, holed up, surrounded by zombies but "safe" in terms of not actually getting killed by them.  This is a key element in zombie lore, and is a major part of the hopelessness and impending doom that so many fans love about zombie stories.

I can see this opening up a new level of game play. I probably wouldn't often use it. But in the case of a heavily armed agressive NPC roaming into my house hiding somewhere would be of great assistance in survival.

Just imagine some nutjob (Bobby Collins) walking into your house yelling for you to come out, and you don't have a sheet rope, so you take the only option you have: Hide in the wardrobe. Maybe we can sneak-attack from inside? Like, jump out and surprise them, or maybe slowly creep out so if they're facing away, they won't hear and you can sneak up on them.

Would be also interesting if for some odd reason a zombie crawler happened to get in there. Perhaps add a perception trait for characters? Maybe you looked into the dark closet didnt see anything so you get in sweating heart pounding as gunmen rummage your house only to scream your freaking head off as a zombie bites your lower leg? Lol thankfully I'm observant and would be worried some new zombie spec would be In there so id check until last second haha