Building Computer - Suggestions!

Rathlord

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Case, you can almost go for the cheapest case you can find, or even a second hand one. You might be able to pick a scrap computer up with a decent case. You don't *need* headers, they're nice, and if you find you've a bigger budget later, you can always swap to a new case, though it's a hassle.

Saying that, go for the biggest case, rather than smaller ones. Working in their innards is a pain in the neck if you get a small case.

Build has been updated again.

Antec GX500 Tower

Seagate 1TB HD

TP-Link Wireless Card

Asus GTX 770

Seasonic 620W PSU

G.Skill Sniper Series 16 GB Dual Channel RAM

Asrock Z97 Extreme4 Mobo

Intel Core i7-4790K Haswell Quad-Core 4.0 GHz CPU

I'm now trying to decide if shelling out the extra cash to do the GTX 780 instead of the 770 would be worth while. They're both obviously great cards, I'm just torn on whether it's worth the extra almost $ 150 for the 780. Opinions welcome.

From what I've read/seen the TI is really only about a 5% increase over the 780. Not sure if that's accurate or not.

I feel like right now the weakest point of my build is the 770, but i'm not really sure that's any call to be concerned to be honest.

the weakest part of your build is the 770, but think of it like this, if the maximum your gonna be running games at is 1080p on a single screen then the 770 will be good enough. If your gonna be gaming at above 1080p or across multiple screens then go for the 780. Again though, the 880's are due out in 2 month which are rumoured to be 20-30% faster than the 780, and about the same price, but unless your gonna be gaming on a 144hz 1440p monitor (or 4k) it will probably be overkill, but it should drop the price of the 780 a bit at the least.

If I wait 2 months for that, I just feel like someone will tell me to wait another 2 months for Broadwell processors... then someone will tell me to wait 2 months for z107 mobo's... then for the 980 graphics... waiting for parts releases has just never struck me as a real good plan. 

Wait for the new I7s coming soon. Haswells were all about less power consumption but the new I7s look awesome.

I've had an I7 920 since release in 2008 when I also bought the first ATI DX11 card the HD5870.

I've only upgraded the motherboard, cooler and GPU since then. Has served me well and i'm sure this new I7 will last as long if not longer.

completely agree Rath, at some point you have to just bite the bullet, but I always feel its worth knowing whats just around the corner as I've been the victim of buyers remorse more than once. Anyhow, the spec you have listed is a very decent system which should handle almost anything you throw at it gaming wise, up to 1080p on a single screen, and will still perform well over 2-3 screens, although probably not with games quality maxed out.

I'll only be playing on one screen, which I bought today (but won't get here until Friday). Unfortunately I am feeling a bit of buyer's remorse for that. I went with this (I'm pretty sure, don't have the model number on hand to double check). I then learned that it may only accept 60hz input from my computer (and it's a 120hz TV). Apparently the TV will try to "fake it" to 120hz, which causes problems that manifest as slight lag which is what I was hoping to get away from buying a 120hz. So, I'm a bit upset. Not sure if I'm going to take it back or not. Thought I'd done decent research and been smart until I got home and happened upon that snippet of info =\