improved farming system

Tower001

Strawberries and tomatoes are very hard to grow and I notice these are types of plants that still produces food even if you plucked them. In the current version of the game, why the hell do i have to pull out the entire plant just to harvest it? I can just pluck the food they produced.

And fertilizers... Its hard and dangerous to search the entire town for them. And I hate rotting leftovers from my farm. The best way is to use the rotting leftovers as fertilizers even a zombie corpse if I have to.

A zombie corpse would infect the crops.

Yes... Yes! I can use that to infect someone else's farm in MP! That is certainly very evil bwahahaha 3:)

Hmm, So at what farm level should you start to realize that there's something wrong with the crops?

A zombie corpse would infect the crops.

Yes... Yes! I can use that to infect someone else's farm in MP! That is certainly very evil bwahahaha 3:)

Hmm, So at what farm level should you start to realize that there's something wrong with the crops?

Hmm... Maybe 1 or 2, that would be unfair for others not realizing someone put zombie meat on their crops and kill them.

• 1 month later...

Just a quick question for everyone:

Can you effectively farm on grass? You can dig grass, and plant seeds on it, it seems.

I have not tried farming yet, so just wondering: Do you have to do the dirt/sandbag song and dance, or can you just dig some lines in the grass by your house and plant stuff there?

Any advantage to importing dirt?

Just a quick question for everyone:

Can you effectively farm on grass? You can dig grass, and plant seeds on it, it seems.

I have not tried farming yet, so just wondering: Do you have to do the dirt/sandbag song and dance, or can you just dig some lines in the grass by your house and plant stuff there?

Any advantage to importing dirt?

Yes you can grow stuff on grass. Not sure if there is an advantage of using dirt, I just use it make my farm look all nice and pretty. :-D

The only advantage I can think of, you can poor the dirt on any surface and grow food there. In other words make a roof garden/farm.

Strawberries and tomatoes are very hard to grow and I notice these are types of plants that still produces food even if you plucked them. In the current version of the game, why the hell do i have to pull out the entire plant just to harvest it? I can just pluck the food they produced.

And fertilizers... Its hard and dangerous to search the entire town for them. And I hate rotting leftovers from my farm. The best way is to use the rotting leftovers as fertilizers even a zombie corpse if I have to.

I like the idea of using rotten leftovers to fertilise your plants. Though this has been suggested a few times before.

Think about this - An infested human being getting inside the plant that another human eats later. As the whole thing is fluid based (as plants use water and contain a lot of fluid inside of them) it is possible that you would get an infection, just by eating the veggies grown on infested plants. Having said that it would be almost certainly NOT a good idea. Using it to ruin others farms is also silly I think, as if you finally locate someone elses farm, you would most probably just want to steal the stuff right? :evil: 

Having said that rotten veggies could be used as some kind of fertilizer for sure, dead mouse and other animals (rotten) could also be good, same for any other food (non processed) that has gone out.

In singleplayer currently if you plant 8-10 plants you are Exhausted and can go back to sleep straight away if you came from bed, which I believe need some changing. Planting is exhausting, but not this much ;) I can easily go and plant for hours (around 80 plants) without feeling tired, so this is truely unrealistic at the moment.

In multiplayer where there is no sleep, its easy to make a 80x80 garden and water it same day, while as in single player you plant 2 tomatoes, water them and you can go bed ^^

Another thing would be to consider the seasonal changes and such you can plant tomatos for instance inside your safehouse, and there is a bunch of other stuff like - orange/lemon trees you can grow inside the house and they bring fruit every 5-6 months (ok you may die of starvation, but it could be a nice addition just for juice :D :D ) This would also mean that you cannot plant during the winter, you have to stash stuff or trap/hunt (once vegetables can be put into jars this is a must). Also by drying vegetables and meat you can actually preserve them for a long time (you need salt and a place to dry them). Creating juice from them would also be nice.

• 6 months later...

I would really love to see rotten food's being able to use as fertilizer!

Zombies would so be a evil way to poison another players farm, but adding onto this if a zombie is killed near a farm it should have a chance to infect some plants/ground for x time maybe based on that "Erosion speed" option? default 100days for zombies to decay and infected land to go back to health after the zombie has fully decayed so maybe 200 days total? if zombie corps is not removed from the farm for example?