NPC Group start

ironcowboy384

Is it possible to start out in a group, like a 1/20 chance. Maybe even in sandbox you can choose to or not to start out in one.

P.S: I didn't really know where too put this topic so i just put it here because it seems pretty idea-ish

Edited by ironcowboy384

Is it possible to start out in a group, like a 1/20 chance. Maybe even in sandbox you can choose to or not to start out in one.

P.S: I didn't really know where too put this topic so i just put it here because it seems pretty idea-ish

They plan to add things like family.

Where if you specify that you have a wife she will spawn somewhere on the map, and you may find her.

:D

They plan to add things like family.

Where if you specify that you have a wife she will spawn somewhere on the map, and you may find her.

:D

I was hoping for like you can choose group type in Sandbox like Family or Bandits(etc).

This is one of those ideas that I both love and hate at the same time. On one hand it'd be pretty awesome to start off with a group of survivors to watch your back for you. On the other hand such a thing could be easily abused and pretty much make the beginning of the game super easy, which isn't something I can get behind.

If you start with NPCs in a group, I'd suggest there need to be some ways to balance this out that might make starting with an NPC companion a bit more difficult than it's worth to prevent every character ever created from starting out with disposable minions. Like say if you start with a Brother or a Best Friend he could be an unsociable jackass making it harder to group up with other NPCs. Or if you start with a spouse he or she could be horribly injured and you'd need to help keep them alive while they heal, making the beginning of the game harder but rewarding you with a loyal companion later on.

And I'm not a big fan of the idea that you could end up with NPCs by random chance when you start. Just doesn't feel right to me. I'd rather it be my choice to start with someone rather than leaving it up to the fickle attitudes of the Random Number God.

This idea is pretty good. It would make game harder on the begining. You know, we are players hardened by battling the undead for some Time now. But the npc? They are people whose world ended and they arent some hardened zombie wars veterans. Keeping the group safe, especially when they are ultra prone to panic would make the game harder. Remember your first character? When you just started the game for the first time? Well, they are 10 times more confused and dont know what, where and why to do. At least thats my opinion how should they act early in the game.

This idea is pretty good. It would make game harder on the begining. You know, we are players hardened by battling the undead for some Time now. But the npc? They are people whose world ended and they arent some hardened zombie wars veterans. Keeping the group safe, especially when they are ultra prone to panic would make the game harder. Remember your first character? When you just started the game for the first time? Well, they are 10 times more confused and dont know what, where and why to do. At least thats my opinion how should they act early in the game.

If I picked you up correctly, you want the NPCs that are added first to be dumb and then gain intelligence in a game-y way? I don't think that'd work in the slightest. Making some NPCs scared and just a layperson would be acceptable as that's what TIS is aiming for, you're not a scientist, you're a common person who is trying your best to survive. They should all have the same senses and common sense that every human has.

That's just sort of putting the player in a dominant position (which should only happen if the player plays dominantly). And essentially, it's adding the NPCs as... newbies? 

Maybe I picked you up wrong so if I did, sorry. That would be such a waste of my text. :cry:

@MadDan2013 You are right about common sense. What I mean't it's just we, players, know that is a game about surviving zombie apocalypse, and most of just knows game mechanics, so we don't have any trouble surviving early game, mostly because we don't have to fear for our lives, but for our character life. And who cares about character that just got started and has no skills?

It's diffrent for the NPC's because they fear for theirs 'life'. What i mean is that players are able to behave a lot more reckless, because they know how zombies behave. Players have metagaming experience that makes them superior. Basically NPC's should be just more likely to make bad decisions early, but, when they survive longer (due to that common sense that helped them survive even when making mistakes) they should become more expertised in how 'world now works'.

What I mean is that we, players, already know how to survive in the game even before we start new character.

NPC's do not.

I get what you're saying, but I think TIS wants to keep it within the confines of the game. After all the game is about your inevitable death, everyone should be mostly equal. I do think this is opposite to the way they want. NPC will be characters with different personalities and so will you, the game is only going to play like they were always in the game surviving before us.

Some people like to RP and that's essentially what the NPCs are for. I'm sure a mod could modify behaviour and the NPCs dialogue so you could get something like this. I don't speak for TIS,

but I don't think they want this for the most part. :)

From an RP perspective, this feature would make the "second survivor" scenario much more viable. Your first character survived by doing incredible feats before finally dying after 87 days, so how'd this scrub make it with nothing but the clothes on his back?

Or you could just spawn the world with some survival experts and a bunch of "low level npc's", Then have nature do its work, with the late game populated by angry professionals and the exceptionally lucky idiots who has ran through the streets screaming at the first sight of every zed and ranked up to be the best chef mechanic on the map.