Clothing Can Carry Things

Nowthere27

Clothing in the game should be able to carry objects considering so many articles of it have pockets, zippers, pouches, etc.

I'm tired of my military backpack and my fanny packs getting filled to the brim with stuff and I still don't have room for everything. Notice how I didn't mention main inventory until now. 

Well that's because I really don't recommend the main inventory for carrying things. Sure you need it for your clothes, your containers and a few objects here and there but you're really supposed to use your containers which get full as hell really fast and easily. You want to reduce that encumberment as much as possible while carrying as much as possible after all.

So anyways here's how it could work; either have each article of clothing that can hold anything have its own icon (like a container icon e.g. backpack) or have each article of clothing have a dropdown menu (by its sprite menu icon) in which the player would drag items in and out of.

Like instead of having to immediately load your fanny packs after your main inventory and backpack are full (like yours truly) you could load up your pockets on your pants, coat, jacket, etc. with items.

Stuff like cargo pants could hold a ton of stuff like matches, lighters, nails, small food items, flash light, etc.. which would be really great! Jeans wouldn't hold as much and as for pocket less yoga pants they couldn't hold anything.

Damaged clothing might hold less due to damaged pockets.

4 hours ago, Nowthere27 said:

Damaged clothing might hold less due to damaged pockets.

Or even items can get lost by falling out of torn pockets.

It's a nice idea and I really would love to see such a mechanic ingame but let's look at the current state... you can fill your main inventory up to around 15 without getting encumbrance modifiers at all and fact is that at this weight you are running around with 2-3 long weapons, a load of clothes, some tools and food. I don't know about you but if I don't have a backpack with me I usually carry a phone and a wallet... and everything else would have to be in my hands (or my back if attachable). So we can assume that the main inventory value includes all those small compartments in and on your clothing too because otherwise this value would be way smaller.

It would be cool to have a modifier to the maximum carried weight from clothing. If the character is weak and can carry 9 units, then with some hunter’s pants this number increases to 9.8, for example. But a separate equipment for each piece of clothing worn is not about PZ. I think so.

On 4/11/2024 at 12:49 AM, getstoopid said:

It's a nice idea and I really would love to see such a mechanic ingame but let's look at the current state... you can fill your main inventory up to around 15 without getting encumbrance modifiers at all and fact is that at this weight you are running around with 2-3 long weapons, a load of clothes, some tools and food. I don't know about you but if I don't have a backpack with me I usually carry a phone and a wallet... and everything else would have to be in my hands (or my back if attachable). So we can assume that the main inventory value includes all those small compartments in and on your clothing too because otherwise this value would be way smaller.

I need all the space I can get lol so the more the better plus it gets players to strategize even further which clothing to wear.

Also I think the main inventory value should be separate from the clothing.

Wacky idea, they could reduce character carry capacity to zero, but then increase it based on the number of pockets in their clothes.

Could have the ability to add extra pockets (requiring needle, thread, cloth, & tailoring skill), & maybe a small movement penalty to keep it balanced.

3 hours ago, Nowthere27 said:

Also I think the main inventory value should be separate from the clothing.

Yeah but that would mean you'd have many 0.5 to 1.0 capacity slots... not very practical