Door Security Bar

Nowthere27

You know those bars that block a door from opening when you lower them down?

il_570xN.498911702_3vmp.jpg

https://www.etsy.com/listing/161965679/see-safe-home-security-door-bar-lock

Well that would be perfect for this game!

You could build one with the carpentry or metal working skill (may require level 5 for either one). For the wood version you'd need a plank, some nails and screws and brackets. For the metal version the parts would be the same expect the wooden plank would be replaced with sheet metal.

Anyways with all the right supplies on your character you'd right click a door and select "build door security bar" and your character would do so.

To raise and lower the bar you'd either left click it directly or right click it and select whether to raise or lower it. Pressing "e" could get the game confused over whether you want to operate the bar or the door so the clicking options would be better.

You'd be able to disassemble door bars from the door. 

Door bars would strengthen a door without having to barricade it shut and stuck. This would keep zeds out for awhile as well as hostile NPCs and other players. It could be defeated with enough melee weapon hits.

I think doors could use a huge overhaul but that's another topic for another day.

Edited by Nowthere27

2 hours ago, getstoopid said:

Pressing "e" should result in the barricaded message and animation as the situation is basically the same. I like the idea !

The potential problem is if you press "e" to open the barricade and then again to open the door, you may accidentally lower the barricade again rather than opening the door.

Same kind thing if you want to do the reverse.  Like if you want to close the door and lower the barricade by pressing "e" you may end up opening the door again rather than lowering barricade after closing it.

I mean you'd be using the same key for 2 related objects within the same vicinity of the player. It could very well cause some stumbling when you meant to do one thing but did the other.

That's why I suggest the barricade's be exclusively controlled by clicks rather than clicks and "e" like the door is. 

It's harder to mistakenly click to do this when you meant to do that than to press "e" to do this when you meant to do that. 

That's not what I meant... what I meant was, if you press "e" on a barricaded door you hear rattling and get the message "The door is barricaded" or something like that and it should be just the same if you have it barricaded by a metal bar. The door is barricaded, why or how is not important for the logic.

4 hours ago, getstoopid said:

That's not what I meant... what I meant was, if you press "e" on a barricaded door you hear rattling and get the message "The door is barricaded" or something like that and it should be just the same if you have it barricaded by a metal bar. The door is barricaded, why or how is not important for the logic.

OOOOOOOOHHHHH!!!!

My bad!

• 3 weeks later...