If Fort Knox is implemented (trading)

Zathura

So this came up in another thread, and I thought it'd be cool (much later).

I know npc's are in the works, and possibly some kind of military patrol (maybe)

Since this may include a military base in the future: (Fort Knox)

Trading luxury goods for necessities.

Let's say there's a military base with soldiers stationed there. You can't really get in, but you can interact with the guards at the gates.

Offer them boredom reducing items, such as magazines, newspapers, (i-pods, if implemented), or even home-grown foods, like strawberries.

In return, you could ask for non-perishable MRE's or ammunition. Soldiers have to do without so many things people take for granted, and in a post-apocalyptic situation, would probably be willing to give you some stuff for things they can't get on base.

Just an idea. What do you think?

Already been discussed before.

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/5334-traders/?hl=trading

And that'd be too much like a shop. Shops are a definite no for project zomboid. It's been discussed before and player reaction is almost overwhelmingly negative. Permanent locations for trading just make no sense whatsoever within the context of the game. And any soldiers implemented into the game are supposed to be a major threat rather than a source of help. Military aid is a confirmed no.

Trade between survivors is a possibility though.

It seems like a mixed bag as far as opinions are concerned. The thread you linked to deals with independent traders.

This is taking place in the same county as a military base, and as such, it may be implemented in the future. (who knows)

Why would they put a base there if all that happens when you approach is that you get shot at?

Talking to the soldiers seems natural. They may distrust you at first, but if you offer them things they want, they might warm up to you. It's a bit different concept than a shop.

The value of items and your return on certain trades could be randomized. You might get 1 MRE for 3 magazines one day, and the next, they might not care about magazines at all...maybe they want sugar for the mess hall, or dvd's to watch in their free time.

You'd have to find out what they want, and see if you want what they're offering.

I'm sure when it comes to that time, a programmer could put an algorithm in that would randomize it somewhat, so you never know what the soldiers want, or how much you'll get in return. It would actually be very lifelike, imo.

It seems like a mixed bag as far as opinions are concerned. The thread you linked to deals with independent traders.

This is taking place in the same county as a military base, and as such, it may be implemented in the future. (who knows)

Why would they put a base there if all that happens when you approach is that you get shot at?

Talking to the soldiers seems natural. They may distrust you at first, but if you offer them things they want, they might warm up to you. It's a bit different concept than a shop.

The value of items and your return on certain trades could be randomized. You might get 1 MRE for 3 magazines one day, and the next, they might not care about magazines at all...maybe they want sugar for the mess hall, or dvd's to watch in their free time.

You'd have to find out what they want, and see if you want what they're offering.

I'm sure when it comes to that time, a programmer could put an algorithm in that would randomize it somewhat, so you never know what the soldiers want, or how much you'll get in return. It would actually be very lifelike, imo.

I think in a situation portrayed in the game the soldiers would be ordered to shoot anything that moves on the other side of the fence. As for why it's added perhaps it gets overrun after a while in game (sometime well after power-water failure) It could posses high level loot (IE lots of non-perishables, ammo and guns) but it would be heavily infested (size of a horde or two) due to all the gunfire that would be happening. The base being overrun could also trigger more zombies roaming about due to the new "silence" coming from the military base

I'm pretty sure we call that security protocols.

I'm pretty sure I call that a cop-out. ;)

Have you watch 28 Weeks Later?

Kinda like that where shit hits the fan and they are order to kill anything that has two legs and move to prevent the outbreak.

I just love the idea of how long can a military base hold off the zombies before they get overrun. 

I remember reading that Fort Knox is suppost to hold out with the NPCs inside. If you get near you would get blown to pieces.

Then the government sends in cleaning squads (like rogue survivor), to kill anything that moves in the city.

Since Fort Knox is in the quarentine zone, they are pretty much in their own, they would die because of the massive number of zombies they are attracting when they kill a few.

Then after those two incidents we might see rouge soldiers, the ones who are looking for their own safety, those are the ones who can side with you i think.

But Fort Knox as a trading station? Or trading at all? No, i dont think that would be a good idea.

Why would a soldier trade with you in that situation? He is better off killing you and boosting the moral of the group, for the greater good.

I have a feeling it will fill the gap of "late game content" and be hard as hell to get in most likely. Not to mention it is a permadeath game...and while I suppose you could do some savescumming stuff...you will likely meet a horrible end unless you have an NPC/MP army to work with you to take on the fort...