Ports not open?

ipoisonxl

Hi! I'm making a private server for me and a friend, but the port forwarding isn't working. I know how to port forward, I already have another port forwarded for Minecraft, and that works fine. But for some reason, it doesn't work with Project Zomboid.

7iWkU.png

here's my settings for the server's port forward. What's wrong with it? It should work fine, but

7iWCL.png

and yes, I am running the server while checking if the ports are open. It simply isn't open, and it's not connecting in game either. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Personally, I don't see the port testers linked on this forum as the be-all-and-end-all.

I have the exact same result as the OP (saying my ports are closed) even though my ports are forwarded and I am running around on my Server with my friends.

It's not completely accurate from my experience.

Port 16261 is a UDP port.

The others are TCP ports.

You can check if your system is accepting connections on the UDP port 16261 by starting the server and then opening a cmd and entering

netstat -an

Now check the output for the UDP port 16261.

In some cases it's normal that port testers might show TCP ports as closed because they are not in use when players are not connected and playing.

Most online port checkers are not able to check for UDP ports.

The FAQ will be updated in that regard, soon.

Both my friend and I have tried hosting from our computers but to no avail. Ports are forwarded and I'm able to connect to my own using the external ip but he can't connect. Windows firewall is off, anti virus is Avast and off. I only have two of the TCP ports open. I'm at a loss. Any help would be great.

I opened 10 ports, UDP and TCP. 

7kuji.png

For the netstat -an thing, the output for UDP port 16261 is *:*, or something along those lines.

If anyone wants to test, server will be open all night. IP is:  

EDIT: (no testing necessary anymore)

• 2 weeks later...

You can check if your system is accepting connections on the UDP port 16261 by starting the server and then opening a cmd and entering

netstat -an

In some cases it's normal that port testers might show TCP ports as closed because they are not in use when players are not connected and playing.

I'm having the same problem. Pretty much identical to the OP. Connection failed for those that try to connect. I've my ports set up as follows

http://imgur.com/DtInwV3

Any advice in this regard would be helpful nasKo. 

Also, netstat shows :

UDP    0.0.0.0:16261          *:*

netstat -an

I'm having the same problem. Pretty much identical to the OP. Connection failed for those that try to connect. I've my ports set up as follows

http://imgur.com/DtInwV3

Any advice in this regard would be helpful nasKo.

Also, netstat shows :

UDP 0.0.0.0:16261 *:*

They probably cannot connect because you haven't forwarded the TCP ports.

If possible, just switch it from "UDP" to "UDP/TCP" (sometimes called "both")

Oh, I should point out that I can connect to my own server so it is running ok it would seem. It'd seem to suggest a port forwarding problem. I've made the change. I'm going to leave the server up, hopefully somebody will be able to test it for me.

IP: 62.249.220.97
UN: guest
PW: guest

Oh, I should point out that I can connect to my own server so it is running ok it would seem. It'd seem to suggest a port forwarding problem. I've made the change. I'm going to leave the server up, hopefully somebody will be able to test it for me.

Can't test from here but it's normal that you can connect to your own server (because there's no port forwarding required for it). Good indicator, though.

If other people cannot connect, it's likely a network issue, not a server issue. :)

Can't test from here but it's normal that you can connect to your own server (because there's no port forwarding required for it). Good indicator, though.

If other people cannot connect, it's likely a network issue, not a server issue. :)

That's what I was pretty much getting at. I'll wait until someone is able to test. 

• 2 months later...

I made an account just so I could post my solution. After spending hours searching the web and changing ports to udp or tcp over and over I found out what I was missing.

Make sure you have 16261 under udp

and add individually in tcp the 16262 then add 16263 and so on.

Of course just doing that doesn't fix it.

What you have to do is, start the server after you did the above. The big step that I missed is, RUN THE GAME AS ADMIN.

Once you did that you can connect to your server from your public ip or the internal ip. That's all you had to do.