Ideas for new locations around the map.

OnewiththeGun

As I've been wandering around rural Kentucky I've been getting the feeling that just a few things are missing. I know the game is far from finished but I wanted to share some ideas for buildings and locations that I think will add to the atmosphere and depth of the game. While I know its not a good idea to post multiple ideas at once all of these are so closely related I don't think it will be a problem.

Government Locations:

-County Jail                                 -Power Substation

-Public Library                             -Water Treatment Plant

-EMS Station                               -County Courthouse

-Fire Station                                 -State Police Barracks

-Ranger Watch Tower                  -Mental Hospital

-Public works/road crew depot     -Post Office

-Hospital

Commercial Locations:

-Liquor Stores                                                                            -Army Surplus Store

-Shopping Mall(any number of other commercial sites could be located inside)    -Music Shop

-Lawn and Garden Center                                                      -Propane(and propane accessories) Outlet

-Car Dealership                                                                       -Illegal Still for Moonshine

-Gym/fitness center                                                                 -Biker Bar

-Drive in Movie Theater                                                           -Feed Shop

-Comic Book shop                                                                   -Arcade

-Sporting Goods Store                                                             -Radio/TV Station

-Cornel's Country Chicken(restaurant)                                     -Pawn Shop

-Bait Shop                                                                                 -Junk Yard

-Scented Candle Shop                                                              -BBQ Stand

-Jewelry Store                                                                           -Physician's Office

-Video Rental Store                                                                   -Health Food Store

-Pet Shop                                                                                   -Doughnut Shop

Residential Locations:

-Retirement Home                -New Housing Development

-Hunting Lodge                     -Survivalist Compound

-Hippie Commune                -Gated Community

I've tried to come up with locations that would lead to interesting scenarios for players. Many of these locations could potentially hold useful supplies but I imagine they would also be in areas swarming with the undead.

I definitely want to see more stuff like that, I do think we'll eventually see it, because it feels weird that almost every place currently in-game is bound to have something you need.

I also think that something that really needs to be worked on after a load of bugs are fixed, is the deserted house and other buildings apocalypse feel. I hope it can be done because it would add a lot to the game I feel. I don't mean like broken windows and sheets, but on counter-tops there should be some plates/broken plates, broken knives (which you can pick up maybe), torn curtains. Maybe some overturned tables, broken chairs, drops of rain could maybe fall in from the ceiling so some parts of the house could be wet. The 'apocalypse feel' should be randomly generated per building. It should only happen after maybe a few months of surviving, not the first house you're placed in. Maybe the meta-game can add it after a few months and after a few houses have been searched it would slowly begin to show, just like the erosion mod, which lemmy said they'd love to have in-game. The meta game could make it just like other AI's could have done it?

Imagine all your suggestions above eventually looking completely run-down. Comic book shop -- Torn comics, comics on the floor, they could also be in houses. I think you get my idea now, anyone agree? If all of the above suggestions all looked intact it would sort of ruin it for me. Good suggestion but I think yours has more of a chance than my mini suggestion. :P

give it time, we still have Louisville and Fort Knox to add to the map, plus fleshing out the stuff that is already there.

great things are coming for this game, just gotta give it time for it to happen.

Well, PZ is using satellite imagery from an actual town in Kentucky to base its layout around, so adding some of those things to the current map may be problematic if they intend on adhering to the real world as a mapping guide. A lot of those locations may not even be anywhere near the in-game area.

give it time, we still have Louisville and Fort Knox to add to the map, plus fleshing out the stuff that is already there.

great things are coming for this game, just gotta give it time for it to happen.

So are they going to include "only" Louisville and Fort Knox in the game or they are going to have a map with Muldraugh in the center of it, expanding to all directions including Louisville? That would be huge and truly awesome!

wish i knew that answer. maybe one of the longer term veterans in here can supply more info.

Well the most conservative (rectangular) map i can measure including both Fort Knox and Louisville (south of Ohio river only) is 50x30km (31x18.5mi), which according to the following image is pretty damn huge!

http://www.geekosystem.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Large-Video-Game-Worlds.jpg

Chernarus (of Dayz) is just 225km2 (89mi2).

It's going to be epic... :blink: