Unstable game play

waZZa

Question

I have the steam platform of PZ and am running it on both my pc and laptop with the same problem.

Both systems are 64-bit on Windows 7.  I have made sure to manually update all my video drivers as well as java.  My in game settings are also set according to what I have read in the forums here.  I have tried the compatibility mode without success too.  This problem occurs both in sandbox and survival modes.  Not so much on my laptop, but my pc is high caliber and system resources are minimally used for this game.

I am able to load the game, but randomly during game play the window begins to flicker and then becomes somewhat unresponsive.  What I mean by that is I will get some buttons locking such as moving in one direction and not being able to stop.  Or some actions become unresponsive such as left or right mouse buttons (yikes!!).  I can open tack manager and the program will appear as not responding.  I can usually regain temporary stability by switch to the task or bring to front within the task manager.

Thanks.

16 answers to this question

Curious to have this on two PCs, as I don't remember hearing about this before. Could you let us know what graphics card model and processor you have on both machines? Are you playing Steam or Desura version? If on Steam, have you tried disabling Steam overlay by unchecking the "Enable Steam community in-game" box in right click on PZ->properties in Steam library?

I too found it unusual to have the same issue on both systems.  As mentioned above, I am using the Steam platform.  And yes I have the overlay disabled with the Steam properties of this game.

My PC is running on an Intel Core i7 - 3820 CPU @ 3.60 GHz with an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 video card.

My laptop is running on an Intel Core i7 - Q 740 CPU @ 1.73 GHz  with an NVIDEA GeForce 310M video card.

Can't shake this glitch of mine.

I have tried repeating all my troubleshoots; re-install and delete zomboid folder, checked all my updates, covered settings and overlay, etc. (as discussed above).

I also tried stopping every possible program windows was running, disconnected all my outputs AND my internet connection.  Plus I changed my mouse and keyboard just in case.

Nothing.

For the moment I am focusing on my pc only as it is my primary gaming system and I am concerned that my laptop might just be having issues related to its smaller resource pool.

Kinda frustrated now.... 

Do you have any programs like Stardock's "enhancements," AMD's OverDrive (or nVidia's equivalent -- I'm unsure of it's name)? It sounds like something, even if it's in the background, is breaking the game's focus.

I know it's frustrating not to get a quick fix, but you also seem to be the only person to have this issue (and report it) in the past couple of months

Have you tried one of the beta branches of the game through Project Zomboid's Properties in the Steam Library?

I've never had this glitch and have windows 7 64 bit... Have you installed any mods before?? For something this weird I would just uninstall and reinstall the game. I've only had this problem once before in Crysis 3 and it came from alt-tabbing out and then going back into the game. Couldn't repeat it again though.

Do you get any output from the console when this happens? If so that might give us a clue what's going on. Also, do you run any programs in the background on both computers? Gamebooster, by any chance? Anything at all you can think of that you have in common between the two computers that people might not  normally have?

Sorry Rathlord, but I don't quite understand "Do you get any output from the console when this happens?"  Could you elaborate?  If you are referring to the second window that runs with the game, then the answer is yes.  But the log is upon the game starting in the Menu screen and is as follows:

"Info log:

0(13) : warning C7533: global variable gl_TexCoord is deprecated after version 120

0(48) : warning C7533: global variable gl_FragColor is deprecated after version 120"

I don't get anything when the game stops responding though or during gameplay. And this is the same log on both systems.

As for other software I use mutually on both systems there is nothing that isn't common and nothing boost related or anything else that is directly associated with gaming.  But in case it helps common software includes Norton360, Dropbox, VLC, Skype, etc.  And of course a bunch of games, none of which are altered or have mods.

Very, very odd that it's mucking up with no other console output. That is what I'm talking about- I assume when you start the game you get a bunch of "loading…" and such in there, the message about the joypad, etc.

The only other thing I can think to try would be to clear out your C:/Username/Zomboid folder. This will delete your save files, so rescue them from Survival or Sandbox folders if you want to keep them and put them somewhere else before you delete the folder. It may be that you have some weird Lua corruption or something, though I would certainly think there'd be some output, and I can't imagine this effecting two computers simultaneously unless you've owned the game for a fair while and never cleared that folder out.

Okay, so on both systems I did the following with no changes:

-Deleted the files in c:/username/zomboid folder, restored save files.

-Removed all external devices including hard drives (laptop ran with touchpad only, pc had only mouse and keyboard).  I even uninstalled the associated software for my Logitech controller.

-Disabled my Norton360, did not go to the length of ending the program due to its system restrictions, but I disabled all its active functions including firewall and anti-virus auto protect.

Still the same...

I don't have any added programs I use as graphic enhancers.  Just the driver from NVidia and its associate software.

As for the beta branches.  I can select to opt into betas but there is a code of sorts that is required, which I don't have and subsequently I have not established any beta branches.

And don't mind my frustration.  I do understand that this game is still under development and it is expected for there to be issues along the way.  I just get upset when my character dies because my keys freeze in the middle of a skirmish.  None the less, all the support here is greatly appreciated.

Archived